Hall of Grandmasters: Development Update 1

"
geradon wrote:

as it is no problem to adapt the skills of currently existing exiles, i wonder how they want to deal with these hundreds of exiles in the new map if skills change...

Presumably they'll use a variation of the item update script that they've been not wanting to use to update uniques. It may take days to update the profiles of every player, but it would probably take significantly less time to update at most 1,000 different profiles.

Something along the lines of:
Skill changes fundamentally, GGG makes a new skill that players don't have access to that is essentially the legacy skill. GGG updates the skill players have access to, then over the course of a patch update downtime swaps all Grandmaster and Exile instances of the player-accessible skill with their new, inaccessible legacy skill.

This would easily handle most skill changes, but as I said in my previous post fundamental mechanics changes would probably require specific attention. Say, for example, there's a glacial hammer grandmaster, and GGG fundamentally changes the mechanics behind freeze to something like what Diablo 3 does (flat %chance and duration with reduced effect for consecutive freezes).
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Last edited by gilrad on Sep 2, 2014, 11:15:23 AM
First: I would like to point out all those unallocated passives...28 points unused on that witch..
SECOND: How is this P2W if no one knows the name of the person (and or their account) whose character has been immortalized? Pay to win would be more like; this is Leroy Jenkins BOTW scion, Mr Saucy Pants. Giving credit to the persons name in real life, then their build and character type followed by their character name.
When someone finds one of the new custom player designed uniques they don't say "Man that Steve Jobs guy really paid to win" they just pick up said unique, vendor it and move on.
Saved
"
Please do not turn the game from free-to-play to pay-to-have.

that's basically the idea on how ggg makes a living as a company. people support the game and get microtransactions with no in-game advantages as a compensation and show off for their support. and yes, one can basically say it's pay-to-have (them).

and you have to pay to have a copy of your character in this map which is fair as it brings you no advantage except fame to have created the most perfidious and sneaky player-killer bastard exile.

it would be unfair if ggg would allow these players to occasionally play their char against players doing the map which is actually a good idea and could serve as a price for getting certain ingame achievements.

edit: didn't see op has already stated, he misunderstood the grandmaster scheme.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Sep 2, 2014, 12:30:16 PM
GGG, you suceed in blowing my mind each month anew, kudos.

Since i'm also frequenting the D3 forums (especially with 2.1 just out), i'll just say "take that, Grifts" ;)
"
Talismannn wrote:

As to the balance. I'm sure GGG will put a system in place where characters submitted for the map will have to comply with certain balance dictations.

doesn't really look like it.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
I can think of a perfect movie quote that would fit this map.

"Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves: will our actions echo across the centuries? Will strangers hear our names long after we are gone, and wonder who we were, how bravely we fought, how fiercely we loved?"

I feel sorry for you if you have not seen this movie :(

I hope the map has some truly poetical text flavor. Something that really gets you riled up to take on the challenge.

But on another note, GGG listens to what the players want, and doesn't break/dumb down the game in delivering it, and anyone who has a taste for good games knows that's something that's been truly lacking in the gaming industry for a while.
Last edited by LegendAscend on Sep 2, 2014, 12:30:13 PM
So uh I'm ready for my second submission.

I'm pretty sure you rebalanced the fuck out of the first.

kekekekekekeke
† You were a good man in a bad situation, Fairgraves. †
See what I am currently after here: 1767138
Thanks Chris! 2797098
What area level will this map be?
I wonder if Hillock-Senpai will notice me when I go to town??
I haven't even done Atziri guys, this game is way too hard.
Can't wait to never experience this content!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info