NERF freakin daggers

"
Poutsos wrote:
Yep now i can confirm tha daggers are broken. I 've had my 96 flicker character for so long, and he sure feels OP but i had spent 52 points on offense and have fairly large ES pool due to gear. It felt reasonable due to the risky nature of flicker.
But yesterday out of curiosotity i respeced an abandoned 89level templar, to test spending fewer passives on offense, go balls on ES and use a "safer" skill=double strike. In the end i ve ended up spending 17 points on offense and everything else on defense.
Here's the tree, which is completely unpotimised and would be tons better if it was on a witch:

And here is the gear:
Spoiler

Ended up with 15K+ ES, 600 ES regen per second, 30% block, instant leech and 52K DPS with double strike + melee splash. Definetely an HP non crit user would have no chance in achiving such stats, even with better gear. Daggers suck up to some point, and then become rediculously OP compared to other melee choices after you get geared.

So you used hundreds of exalts worth of gear and ended up with only 52k AoE dps? Lol'd
"
phoenix4dota wrote:
"
Poutsos wrote:
Yep now i can confirm tha daggers are broken. I 've had my 96 flicker character for so long, and he sure feels OP but i had spent 52 points on offense and have fairly large ES pool due to gear. It felt reasonable due to the risky nature of flicker.
But yesterday out of curiosotity i respeced an abandoned 89level templar, to test spending fewer passives on offense, go balls on ES and use a "safer" skill=double strike. In the end i ve ended up spending 17 points on offense and everything else on defense.
Here's the tree, which is completely unpotimised and would be tons better if it was on a witch:

And here is the gear:
Spoiler

Ended up with 15K+ ES, 600 ES regen per second, 30% block, instant leech and 52K DPS with double strike + melee splash. Definetely an HP non crit user would have no chance in achiving such stats, even with better gear. Daggers suck up to some point, and then become rediculously OP compared to other melee choices after you get geared.

So you used hundreds of exalts worth of gear and ended up with only 52k AoE dps? Lol'd

Look my signature, my main has 280K AoE DPS + 11.5K ES. That was an experiment, to see how much i'd end up with few damage passives, focusing on defense, and 52K DPS is still impressive
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
I'd rather see every other weapon type buffed than see daggers nerfed. But maybe that's just me.

2H weapons need a HUGE buff.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
yeah no. dont nerf daggers. infact dont nerf anything. buff whats underused. pretty simple.

nerfing things just fucks with people and pisses them off. but nobody who knows anything would complain about underused stuff getting buffed.

saw the same "hurhur nerf this nerf that nerf this too and while ur at it make these unusably nerfed" bullshit during my stay at d3. dont nerf things that are good, buff what isnt.

how to people not understand this concept

"
RogueMage wrote:
"
RagnarokChu wrote:

The optimal choice after diminishing returns is still stack Crit/crit multiplier on the fastest weapon with the base crit chance, and after you are little over the cap you stack other multis such as more attack speed, weapon elemental damage ect all the way to flat damage if you must.

You are still milking it for every last percent you can get, that is what min-maxing is. Also what the hell is comboing crit with "other synergistic" skills. Crit combo with every single skill that can crit because it increases it's damage and applies the status effect automatically. It does not broaden build diversity because if you are intended to build more damage, outside stacking damage of your weapon type/category/elemental/physical type the only way to build from there is crit or attack speed.

By synergistic I wasn't referring solely to maxing DPS, but about actually crafting a well-rounded build for a change. Piling on more and more DPS is futile when you can't get close enough to deliver the melee blow or don't have the crowd control skills to pin down fast moving targets. Here's Poutsos describing exactly what I mean:

"
Poutsos wrote:
When you go crit melee, the only thing that keeps you alive is your leech. Really, after so many points that you need to invest on crit, there is not much room for increasing your defenses. And daggers generaly do shit damage when they do not crit, so it's something that you will not be able to rely on anymore.

The cure for this malady is freeing up a good deal of those skill points that are currently monopolized by the single-minded obsession with crit. That's what diminishing returns would achieve, in addition to reigning in the most excessive cases of DPS overkill.

But your still beating around the bush of the problem, yeah sure "well-rounded build" but daggers are only "op" on the super high end of gears.

In super high ends of gear we already have enough tanky stuff and all other stats we need and max resist ect, so the only thing to build there is DPS to kill stuff faster. Putting a cap on DPS with crit means I stack to the limit (Now daggers instead of doing 500k dps they do 150k dps) and the invest all of those points into utility and tankiness. Now the build that was tanky and "more balance" still only does 50k dps and the crit build still does 3x more damage and now is a shit ton more tanky.

That is what I mean, every single character in D3 stacks crit chance at least up to the diminishing return (50%) and crit multi (500%) and then put points into secondary stats such as cooldown reduction after being tanky enough to pass content.

If your going to argue forcing players to not choose what they like (maximum dps) to put points elsewhere and call that "diversity" is just really cheap, they'll build to the maximum dps and then go "oh I guess I have more life now and dodge or an extra frenzy charge)

That is the inherent flaw in a "Fair" affix system. A large amount of +weapon damage, +large amount of attack speed, + large amount of auras + other crap is still much lower then let's say all of that but less auras + other crap but a medium amount of crit + crit multi.

The multiplying amount of damage between all of the factors is still greater when at high levels of gear you cover everything else sufficiently. There simply isn't enough other factors you can do to mix it up outside of heavily nerfed builds such as summoners, ingite/shock/perma freeze, RF builds that apparently we aren't allowed to have.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Aug 30, 2014, 12:42:28 PM
I think theoretical top rolls
dagger dps 559 (ambusher)
2 hand dps 895 (vaal axe)
might be off a bit

My opinion:
do daggers need nerf?
no

do 2h need buff
YES and not like +4-8 phys but just a sick 1200dps model

Vorici can shove his fuse up his [removed]
"
RagnarokChu wrote:

If your going to argue forcing players to not choose what they like (maximum dps) to put points elsewhere and call that "diversity" is just really cheap, they'll build to the maximum dps and then go "oh I guess I have more life now and dodge or an extra frenzy charge.

No one's talking about "forcing" the DPS-obsessed to focus on anything else, just to tone down their excesses enough for GGG to balance around a slightly less deranged high-end damage range. Diversity is intended for players who appreciate it, not for those who disdain anything but the BiS.
having a 80% crit strike multiplier? sure thats good i like this makes for diversity since it works with spells my current shadow is build around using 2 daggers and use the imp mods so i get a boost in crits with spells.

but tbh i never understood why does the criss dagger's also come with a base of 7.1 crit chance? shouldnt that be the same as regular weapons? like 5 or maybe 6?
Don't forget physical reflect when you're asking for huge buf on 2H damage (especially based on crit). The lack of defense can really make it dangerous. Perhaps Multistrike and Melee splash less multipliers are enough to manage it however.
I'd rather go for a reasonable damage buf and utilities like some people mentioned here (auto splash damage, useful implicit like max res, etc.)
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
Earthslug wrote:
I think theoretical top rolls
dagger dps 559 (ambusher)
2 hand dps 895 (vaal axe)
might be off a bit

My opinion:
do daggers need nerf?
no

do 2h need buff
YES and not like +4-8 phys but just a sick 1200dps model

559 dps with 80% chances of 800x multiplier PLUS SHIELD or dual benefits