NERF freakin daggers

"

Why? A well placed dagger thrust can match any two handed attack. So no, not "right".

It should come down to the skill of the wielder, and the defence it faces. I mean, not that any of it makes a lick of sense anyway. PoE is not balanced around what is " right".

I do think 2h nodes need a universal buff. The potential for flat damage should be significantly higher than with smaller, precision based weapons.

But like I said, none of it is sensible. None. Don't argue balance around logic or real world precedents. That way lies madness.

A well placed dagger thrust in real life will never match a two handed attack in terms of sheer force. The problem right now is that daggers essentially hit with the force of an 18 wheeler right now, which is just silly.

Not to mention a 2H build doesn't get to use a shield like a dagger does, so a one hand build doing more damage than a 2H build is just plain out silly for gameplay reasons alone.
Last edited by allbusiness on Aug 29, 2014, 6:53:56 AM
Lets look at this realistically. The monsters see you coming from a mile a fucking away. Its literally thier only job. So how you can use a dagger (which is rarely more than two foot long) to surprise attack them with precision, well, thats fucking hilarious. Its just a case of GGG not actually balancing thier base types, which is a big reason why shit isnt balanced.

Every weapon of the same tier should do the same base dps, thier special bits should come from from how they are used/
HAIL SATAN!
Imo the harder it takes to aquire or craft a weapon, should be evident to how well it performs once you get the mods you want.

I'm not saying this because I run and enjoy my crit dagger build atm, but in my stay in poe i have found 4 500+ pdps rare 2-handers and only 2 200+ pdps with NO CRIT daggers, mostly, daggers i get roll some ridiculous spell damage mods that doesn't go well with the others. I can only imagine how its like to hard-craft them with eternals and exalts with a much bigger mod pool and get some notoriously rare mods with those currencies :x

I think its fine to feel strong once you get that lucky craft :P Although I think 2-h passives are lagging behind 1h weapon ones, crit or non-crit.
"Get rich or die grinding"

Lvl 100 Ascendant - RadioactiveSago: HIGHEST KB tooltiplordz in all of PoE (view-thread/1636451)
Lvl 100 Assassin - Chonkeyy: Omnislasher 2 mil DPS Flicker Build (view-thread/1571744)
Asking for higher crit rates on axes than daggers is rediculous. Daggers have been THE crit weapons historically in RPGs, and usually they do have the highest DPS potential. Even skyrim which has very dumbed down RPG mechanics, the deadric dagger will deal the most damage in the game, since there is a passive that gives 15x damage on sneak(critical).
So yeah, daggers and staves should be the highest DPS weapons in the game. Never forget that crit builds are very expensive and need very high point investment on DPS. That being said, i beleive that top geared people with other weapons should be roughly as powerful, not in DPS but in utility. Claws have already leech going on for them, if the new charge stealing notable was generating them instead of stealing, they would be comparable. 1 handed axes and swords are better for RT builds, and until recently they were competitive to daggers, because block and aegis aurora were OP. Now that build is nerfed, and so is the effectiveness of RT in general. They need more interesting notables, comparable to adder's touch. EG. something like bleeiding on hit would work great with axes.
Now when it comes to 2 handed weapons, the only real benefit they get is double 6L, or 1 6L + kaoms. This is not enough. I really beleive that 2 handed weapons, should do splash AoE damage by default. This would definetely make them worth using.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
Last edited by Poutsos on Aug 29, 2014, 9:30:09 AM
Yes nerf the crit rate of daggers, and how crit multiplier works in general (made other posts about this).

As for buff to two-handers... the only thing I came up with that makes both logical and mechanical sense without going all out bonkers on base 2h weapon stats is:

Make 2hers benefit twice from flat damage mods on non-weapon pieces of gear. It has to be ~200% in order to keep proportional DPS bonus from these mods between 1hers and 2hers.

Last edited by Thalandor on Aug 29, 2014, 9:40:14 AM
"
Thalandor wrote:
Yes nerf the crit rate of daggers, and how crit multiplier works in general (made other posts about this).

As for buff to two-handers... the only thing I came up with that makes both logical and mechanical sense without going all out bonkers on base 2h weapon stats is:

Make 2hers benefit twice from flat damage mods on non-weapon pieces of gear. It has to be ~200% in order to keep proportional DPS bonus from these mods between 1hers and 2hers.

Good luck talking anyone into that quite obvious conclusion.
HAIL SATAN!
If you are jealous of dagger builds on standard with mirrored daggers and legacy crit multi gear then play the new leagues!
Berek's Grip Ice Spear
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/780707
Budget Magicfind and/or Hardcore Flame Totem
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211543
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1012358/page/1
GGG has shown time and again that they are extremely reluctant to retroactively nerf existing items that players have spent currency to acquire. That means we are likely stuck with Loath Bane and its ilk, with their overpowered and unrealistic base damage and crit rates.

So what can be done? The underlying problem with both crit chance and crit multiplier is their completely unrestrained ability to exceed reasonable limits. Critical strikes are supposed to be finishing blows, not full-time steroid-fueled rampages. In practice, setting the critical chance limit at 100% has ruined combat balance. Maximum effective crit chance should be capped at 50% along with a diminishing returns formula.

Likewise, an unbounded crit multiplier function does nothing but trivialize all sense of spike damage in the game. While I don't think there should be a hard cap on effective crit multiplier, a diminishing returns formula should also be used to make stacking of more than about 200% crit multiplier superfluous.

Beyond those important refinements to the PoE combat engine, I think GGG should consider implementing a new melee effectiveness rating for each weapon type. This would be a multiplicative factor similar to the damage effectiveness of various attack and support skills (e.g. Dual Strike deals 90% of base damage, Lightning Strike deals 130%). In actual combat, heavy two-hand weapons like maces would have far more damage effectiveness than light one-hand weapons like daggers. This concept is comparable to how armor works it PoE - it is far more effective against a flurry of smaller hits than against a single high power hit.
Last edited by RogueMage on Aug 29, 2014, 3:32:17 PM
"
RogueMage wrote:
GGG has shown time and again that they are extremely reluctant to retroactively nerf existing items that players have spent currency to acquire. That means we are likely stuck with Loath Bane and its ilk, with their overpowered and unrealistic base damage and crit rates.

So what can be done? The underlying problem with both crit chance and crit multiplier is their completely unrestrained ability to exceed reasonable limits. Critical strikes are supposed to be finishing blows, not full-time steroid-fueled rampages. In practice, setting the critical chance limit at 100% has ruined combat balance. Maximum effective crit chance should be capped at 50% along with a diminishing returns formula.

Likewise, an unbounded crit multiplier function does nothing but trivialize all sense of spike damage in the game. While I don't think there should be a hard cap on effective crit multiplier, a diminishing returns formula should also be used to make stacking of more than about 200% crit multiplier superfluous.

Beyond those important refinements to the PoE combat engine, I think GGG should consider implementing a new melee effectiveness rating for each weapon type. This would be a multiplicative factor similar to the damage effectiveness of various attack and support skills (e.g. Dual Strike deals 90% of base damage, Lightning Strike deals 130%). In actual combat, heavy two-hand weapons like maces would have far more damage effectiveness than light one-hand weapons like daggers. This concept is comparable to how armor works it PoE - it is far more effective against a flurry of smaller hits than against a single high power hit.

While i agree with the diminishing returns idea as i have said in other posts, there is no 100% crit rate. The way accuracy works, for a perfect 95% crit+95% chance to hit, the final crit chance is 85%. On a realistic build with really good gear with 95% crit chance and 85% chance to hit, the final crit chance is 68%. Loath Bane is just too damn fast, so the non crits do not make much difference. But if you hard cap crit on 50%, even with 90% accuracy the final crit chance will be 40%, which will likely make daggers useless.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info