Dont do HAKU'S totem instance

"
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
"
Weslie wrote:
I still wouldn't do Haku's missions in hardcore. Tight hallways and frequent doorways combined with respawning shit all over you is a recipe for desync and disaster.

I just don't kill anything in the Dungeons.

Same here, who does that? I mean there isnt a point at all, everything gets revived when the spirit gets to it anyways, possibly blocking the path even more than if one just ran past them.

If you kill everything and pop a Quicksilver after you pick up the spirit he will rez all the mobs but will be about a half screen behind you, leaving a clear exit ahead.
"
Should have not went all into dps and went into defense a bit. No one needs 50k dps.

Yeah, perhaps. I guess I just have a dps fixation. Ultimately I just find building ridiculous dps fun. Exploding whole packs of monsters instantaneously is very entertaining. Haven't you ever heard the expression: "The best defence is a good offence"?

Because Vaal pact reduces life leech to 40% effectiveness the high dps that I have is required in order to make life leech steal enough back to counter the damage I take. More than that, there just isn't much life regen in the dex/int part of the passives tree. If I went more into defence all that I would be doing would be trading reduced damage taken for reduced leech. I think I'd probably still be in more or less the same position. I'd be able to take more hits, but the monsters would also pile up faster because I wouldn't be able to kill them as quickly. So then I would take more hits. And since my life leech would be substantially reduced by the dps drop, and I'd probably still be taking quite a few hits, the end result would probably be pretty similar. That's why Path of Exile is well balanced.

I have 16% life leech. Vaal pact means that is only 40% effective, which then works out to about 6.4%. If I'm dealing 50k dps then my life leech is roughly 3.2k/s. So with those stats I should be pretty survivable, short of getting 1-shot.

The problem is that I'm heavily reliant on crits for that dps/leech, and multistrike procs the crits in groups of 3 attacks. If crit proc was done on each individual attack, with my 61% crit chance, then the probability of getting 12 attacks in a row without a single crit would be vanishingly small. But because multistrike procs 3 attacks at once the probability of getting 12 attacks in a row without a crit is actually the same as the probability of getting 4 attacks in a row without a crit if I was not using multistrike. With a 61% probability to crit, that makes the probability of a long run without crits much higher.

So sometimes, quite often actually, even though I have a 61% base chance to crit, I have a really long run of attacks that don't crit. I've seen it get up to 15 attacks without any crits before. The probability of 12 attacks without any crits given my base crit chance should be 0.00001. So it should basically never happen. But since those 12 attacks are processed as only 4 attacks the chance of that happening goes up to 0.02, which is relatively quite frequent. Problem is that my dps during those 12 attacks with no crits is actually a hell of a lot lower than 50k. During those 12 attacks, which takes me about 2.4 seconds, I'm only dealing about 7.8k dps. And thus, my life leech is only about 500/s for those 2.4 seconds. Worse, because I'm not criting, and not dealing as much damage, the monsters tend not to die during those 2.4 seconds, and they don't freeze either. So the time I'm actually taking the most damage is unfortunately while my life leech is at its lowest.

I so wish that multistrike didn't proc crit damage for all 3 attacks on the first attack. That would make my build work a hell of a lot better without actually changing my average dps. I don't care if it procs the application of elemental status ailments only on the first of each of the 3 attacks, that'd be fine, but I wish the damage was more evenly spread.
Last edited by HoneyBadGerMan on Aug 27, 2014, 1:58:12 PM
I just end up using my /oos bind every 5 seconds to make sure i'm not desynced. Probably shouldn't have to do that, but these missions desync like crazy.
"
I have 16% life leech. Vaal pact means that is only 40% effective, which then works out to about 6.4%. If I'm dealing 50k dps then my life leech is roughly 3.2k/s

That's not how life leech works though -- excess leech doesn't queue any more and the individual hits don't stack and instead only the largest source of leech applies at any one time.

At least that was my understanding.
"
Haven't you ever heard the expression: "The best defence is a good offence"?

Well clearly not in this case lol.

Try that in Hc.

VI
quartz flask with speedmod
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
"
Raechel wrote:
That's not how life leech works though -- excess leech doesn't queue any more and the individual hits don't stack and instead only the largest source of leech applies at any one time.

At least that was my understanding.

Yeah, I think your understanding is right. But with Vaal Pact life leech applies instantly at 40% effectiveness so any notion or question of queueing is irrelevant anyway. Point is that when I crit any given hit will re-fill my health globe, probably completely, regardless of how low I was. By contrast, when I don't crit any given hit will get me back maybe 1/8th of my health globe if I'm lucky.

"
Well clearly not in this case lol.

Try that in Hc.

Haha, yeah, well I guess that's why I'm in standard eh? :S
That aside, and not to harp on about desync overly much, but glass cannon builds like mine would probably be a whole lot more viable in hardcore if desync wasn't such a huge issue. I really believe that desync actually does make a whole lot of potential play-styles that were obviously intended to be real parts of the game more or less pointless in hardcore. That's a real pity.
Last edited by HoneyBadGerMan on Aug 27, 2014, 6:49:02 PM
anyone tried the haku rockfall mission after 1.2.0c? is it doable now?
"
micxiao wrote:
anyone tried the haku rockfall mission after 1.2.0c? is it doable now?

Yep. It's easy. Just don't use any movement enhancement and the rocks never come. It's triggered when you outrun the spirit.
Well, either I am too dumb or didn't understand the mission properly.

I had the bad luck to find Haku only 4 times yet.

First Time I entered, cycled as fast as I could through the mobs and reached the final room within about 20 seconds remaining. Then I saw the big Totem and thought: well - bad. Because I cannot do damage to totems (at least not much) because of my RF build. Searing Bond is capable for little Totems but the Big one... well not in the remaining Time limit. Thus I failed the first.

The second mission I ran faster, left everything standing and reached the last room and to my happy surprise the Boss was a Necromancer, which died fairly easy and I grabbed the Spirit afterwards (timer stopped then) and made my way out. Success.

Third time we were a party of 2 (a duellist who does phys. damage, blender type build). Now I knew: get to the last room as quick as possible, so we ran to last room where the Totem awaited us. There it summoned lots of smaller Totems which made a hell of lightning storms and that much lag, that we both died trying to get close. We ran there again (we were fast) and reached the room and... died again. Not funny.

Fourth time I were alone again. Ran to the last room and as before with the Totem: I didn't even get near it without nearly dying (and only 20 seconds left) so I turned around and ran back out, killing everything on my way in frustration.

As I understood: you have to kill the "big boss" in the final room so you can grab the spirit. At least it was not possible for me to simply grab it and run away, simply ignoring the boss - that would be okay for me. Getting to the room is not the problem, but either the very small amount of time is, or that the boss is a totem and I have not much capacity of killing it. Thus the Haku Quests are really frustrating. When thinking of other (melee) builds I still see the problem of getting close enough to "quickly" kill this ... thing.

Any ideas which could help me here? Because I would really level Haku because he has really interessting crafting possibilities. Armour! Yeah baby, exactly what I need to improve :-)

Edit (some Missions later):
There is another branch which works fine. You start directly at the spirit and can grab it and simply have to run out. This works very good (especially when there is no time limit).
Without Timelimit I even manage to slay that bloody Totem... well then I simply can hope for getting the 2-3 possibilities I can manage and suck at the other one. Raising the Timelimit to 120 seconds would also work. 90 seconds is a bit low for finding the way plus slaying the endboss for grabbing the spirit (I tried to grab it again without slaying "Kitava" but this didn't work).

Last edited by AasgeierInExile on Sep 2, 2014, 7:39:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info