[1.2] Malibu's Infernal Ice Shot

"
pabrt wrote:
It's smart to get phys damage on gear, but better to scale with fire/ele/burn nodes. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Herald_of_Ash look at the quality bonus.

I dont -think- so, at least from what I've read/know about these skills.

Assuming your NOT taking Avatar of Fire***, Ice Shot converts 40% of Phys Dmg to Fire. So for example, 100 damage before Ice Shot will do 60 phys/40 Fire with Ice Shot. 10% phys damage makes that 100 damage 110 damage pre-Ice shot, or 66 phys/44 fire with IS. 10% ele/fire will still be 100 damage before IS, but 60 phys/44 fire with it. If you bump these %s to 20%, then youll get 20% phys= 120 converted to 72 phys/48 fire. 20% ele= 60 phys/48 fire. For Ice Shot, Phys>Ele/burn damage.

For the burn, Ignite damage is 20% of initial hit of fire damage per second for 4 seconds. Looking at the numbers above, both phys and ele result in the same initial fire damage. However, burn/fire/ele damage does increase the ignite a second time. That 20% ele damage you took earlier will increase the ignite from 9.6(20% of 48) to 11.52 per second. This is a 1.92 DPS gain, or 7.68 damage gain total from 1 ability use.

So wrapping this up:
20% physical damage on 100 damage Ice Shot= 72 physical damage, 48 fire damage, 38.4 ignite damage(9.6 per second for 4 seconds)= 158.4 damage from one Ice Shot

20% elemental damage on 100 damage Ice Shot= 60 physical damage, 48 fire damage, 46.08 ignite damage(11.52 per second for 4 seconds)= 154.08 damage from one Ice Shot

So at least from what I can tell from wiki/other sources, physical>ele/fire for higher damage, but fire/ele/burn>physical if you want larger ignites. Especially when it comes down to spending passive. For example, 4 points can get you 42% fire damage, OR 69% physical damage.

Unless my math and whatnot is completely wrong. <_>

***If you do take Avatar of Fire, this will work out much differently due to it converted now a total of 90% physical to fire. While physical will still make the initial hit harder(just due to the 10% physical portion), ele/fire/burn damage will result in more ignite damage due to ignite double dipping in the ele/fire/burn damage adding to initial hit+ignite.
Last edited by Renley8 on Aug 27, 2014, 10:37:11 AM
Oh yeah I meant with AoF because it's near a lot of fire and burn nodes. Without AoF you're definitely right (also I forgot ice shot is only 40% conversion instead of 50%)
"
pabrt wrote:
Oh yeah I meant with AoF because it's near a lot of fire and burn nodes. Without AoF you're definitely right (also I forgot ice shot is only 40% conversion instead of 50%)

Oh gotcha. Then yup! xD

Update on Shadow version of this: Its working out fabulously. 55, haven't had any meaningful deaths(just opened a detonate dead box and killed everything before I realized the mistake). Clear speed is insane. Running 2 Ice Shots still(LMP+Crit Dmg+Added Fire, and Faster Attks+Crit Dmg+Added Fire), as well as Herald of Ash+Red Mana+Inc AoE+Ele Prolif. At about 30% crit and 590% crit multi(running Death's Harp). When I had gotten to Cruel Brutus, I crit him for half his health and watched the rest burn off. Pretty fun!
how do you keep the mana up for this? You got no mana Leach or anything :)
That's something I'm also struggling with right now. The AoF build gets Blood Magic to solve this, but I rerolled a Shadow with zinkis build to test both of them against each other, and I have to mana/hybrid flask constantly, even though I have mana leech on my gloves.

Also no room for hatred yet, maybe I need to get the mana leech above the acrobatics area and the reduced mana reduction below the shadow start.
okay, thanks - was going crazy trying to figure out how you did it :)
Just posted a big update.
"
Stigingvar wrote:

Mind drinker in the shadow tree does a pretty good job - especially once your reduced mana gem gets a bit leveled. Before that - running poachers mark helps quite a bit. I also stuck with a slower bow.

ADDTasty -

Any thoughts on flammability?

Also - Im too lazy for spell totem, so I threw together CWDT / decoy / frost wall / enduring and it works out ok.

Running Assassins mark pretty quickly nets you 3 power charges - not sure how worth it, it is against flammability / ele weakness.

Ill echo treta, blood dance seems to work really well with this build. Enough that picking up frenetic and fervor is a thought.
"
Mugs77 wrote:
"
Stigingvar wrote:

Mind drinker in the shadow tree does a pretty good job - especially once your reduced mana gem gets a bit leveled. Before that - running poachers mark helps quite a bit. I also stuck with a slower bow.

ADDTasty -

Any thoughts on flammability?

Also - Im too lazy for spell totem, so I threw together CWDT / decoy / frost wall / enduring and it works out ok.

Running Assassins mark pretty quickly nets you 3 power charges - not sure how worth it, it is against flammability / ele weakness.

Ill echo treta, blood dance seems to work really well with this build. Enough that picking up frenetic and fervor is a thought.

I definitely think elemental weakness is the best curse for this build.

Just wondering, anyone have an opinion on how this would work as a non-crit build? Because I have been toying with the idea of picking up Blood Dance/Lioneye's Glare, and going something like this: http://tinyurl.com/p6ymdsb
"
Revak wrote:
That's something I'm also struggling with right now. The AoF build gets Blood Magic to solve this, but I rerolled a Shadow with zinkis build to test both of them against each other, and I have to mana/hybrid flask constantly, even though I have mana leech on my gloves.

Also no room for hatred yet, maybe I need to get the mana leech above the acrobatics area and the reduced mana reduction below the shadow start.

I've managed pretty well with the mana on kill from Shadow area when alone, but I often run with a friend who has Clarity, which is more than enough mana regen. If mana is a huge problem, you can always straight shot the 20 mana on kill by the Scion.

I'm 65 now, and its probably due to gear, but my killing spree has died down a bit. I have about 34% crit and ~600% crit multi, but my DPS is pretty sporadic. Sometimes things take forever to kill, other times they explode. I blame my Death's Harp, but I cant find a solid upgrade for the life of me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info