August Expansion Teaser Screenshot #3

Flask area is tragic.

There is no better way to tell if an art piece is good or not. It is answering the 'is this really neccessary?' question. Current flask area is good. There are no useless and 'noise' elements. Proposed flask area has way to many 'forced' elements added just for the sake of adding/changing something

That little semi-glyph above them is also useless. It is present in the current ui too but with better color and less 'bold' style

How is that possible that people that created cold snap mtx (incredible) also create such bloopers? This ui proposal is sub-par cheap version of old one.

Btw people really care about statues? I even liked these sleeping ones from previous proposal.. but as these also bring no value these can go altogether..
"
Gruentod wrote:
Frankly, I don't care for having men or women on the health and mana orbs. I don't feel the orbs need any adornment whatsoever. But then, I'm likely in the minority on this one.

I also find the new flask display ugly and primitive. It looks like somebody stuck the flasks into wet concrete as an art installation.

(Totally irrelevant: for a supposed mage, Daresso or whoever he is looks awfully Shadowy/Mortal Kombat.)

The only complaint I ever had with the old UI was that it made it somewhat more dangerous to attack downscreen rather than upscreen, as the ridiculously oversized health and mana orbs can and do hide significant threats from the player's view, particularly on a laptop screen.

I have to say a lot of this seems like change for its own sake, which is never a good idea. That's the sort of thinking that leads to Celtic Frost making an album like Cold Lake.
+1 for Celtic Frost reference, gave me a good morning laugh!
"
eikons wrote:
Minor adjustment: Move the shop button and make the menu button square.

Yes i like this layout
good i like the health and mana statues like they are now... also can you make a option do change your UI in the settings cause the new looking UI flask slots hurts my eyes the old one is better
phew. im glad the ladies are still with us.
"Bullshit, you get the game for free." - Qarl 2014
"The 5x Diamond Supporter"
I rather have a small $ button on my screen than a big SHOP button if I'm totally honest ...
All the people saying "Yes! The ladies are back!" - Read Chris' post again, he clearly states they are only temporary and will be removed in a future patch.

Our feedback is welcomed by Chris and the other development staff, but at the end of the day they will do whatever they feel is best whether we like it or not and they obviously feel like removing the ladies for whatever reason.

Deal with it.
adania/93 --- ElementalNecro/91 --- GwanSauceMan/90
ScionFakeWitch/88 --- WikiWikiWitch/87 --- LArrowToTheKnee/83
Lethal_Injection/80
[b color="#FE2EC8"][b color="#FFAC12"][/b]
"
Chris wrote:
The old statues have been restored. We still intend to remove them in favour of ones that cover less of the health/mana orbs, but have moved this to a longer-term change.

I'm glad the "old statues" have been restored but I'm very disappointed at your disregard for them. These aren't just eye candy, they're an iconic part of PoE. They've been there for as long as I've been here if not the beginning. They're a part of most every screenshot, video, and stream created to date. They're more than a "Legacy Item". They're a part of your brand.

Changing them goes well beyond incremental graphics updates. Beyond creating a new socket design for the colour blind. Beyond messing with previously dropped item when rebalancing (which you won't do). And I think you can see this given the swift outrage in the earlier thread and your equally swift, but still unacceptable in my opinion, response.

Changing them to fit in with current/future themes seems to me a very poor reason to ever alter them. How do you wish you altered them to fit in with SotV? I didn't expect or hope for a change or find them out of place. Did many?

Suggesting that they take up too much of the orb is absolutely ridiculous.. we've been more than managing just fine. They are not a significant obstruction. I'm not sure how you could argue that they're an obstruction at all. If you want to talk obstructions, your change to make the energy shield stretch far across the health globe for non-CI builds created an extreme obstruction in cases where you have low health and are taking chaos damage - that obstruction, you guys didn't really care about.

As for changing them because of some feedback (I assume regarding treating/portraying women poorly), I also feel this is a terrible reason. Any rational person ought to know that their presence does not condone such treatment and anyone offended by them are welcome to play another game not described as a dark fantasy. Unless you edit it all out to make it playable by a six-year-old, this game has mature and unethical or shocking things in it and it always will.

When I saw Rhys' "ikr" post, I hoped it was a joke and/or an internal privilege to test with a modded interface. When you mentioned that teaser screenshots were altered to edit out current elements, I got worried. When I saw your earlier teaser screenshot, I was disgusted - definitely not anywhere near feeling excited for 1.2. In fact, I hoped that your timer would freeze indefinitely - yes, no more content your UI change is that bad.

---

The statues aside, even this interface screenshot is lacking.

The greyscale in the teaser screenshot does look alright except for the flask section. The black half-moons and the large black areas at the top look absolutely terrible. Even just a solid light pattern for them to line up in would probably look a great deal better. Do they really need visually deep slots to fit into when they're not all shaped the same?

If you're going to have a greyscale UI, why are the menu and shop buttons not also greyscale? Why are they different colours? Why are the buttons not transparent to help blend in with the interface? Why are the buttons on different sides of the interface? Why are there bubbly gems on cast silver?

---

I'm sure you have a massive list, if you choose to keep one, of every option people ask for but if ever you implement one this would be it. Your existing UI appearance is awesome. (Well, the lower bit.. the inventory popout tab could use some love.)

You've surely weathered the worst of whatever storm there can be with regards to these statues ages ago. Why change them now? If it's for a particular locale's laws, please make the change locale-specific. I can't see how multiple UI's could be a significant burden to maintain.

I dunno Chris.. there are certainly far more pressing things to be concerned with as a player, but I look on the UI teasers and the decisions behind them in shock and disappointment.
Awww I actually liked the little buttons instead of the menu one. Then again, I don't even play PoE anymore because of the desyncs...
Can we also get something like this - ? Compact UI best UI, just need to add the menu button with the shop button underneath it on the left, remove the dollar and GG. You guys should hire me to design UI's of the future.

Also, the store button still needs to be made a little less saturate, honestly just making it silver with the rest of the UI would look fine.
Last edited by oBLACKIECHANo on Jul 29, 2014, 4:10:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info