[1.2.X Guide] Mollari's Molten Strike Bino's Crit Dagger 155k/222k Tooltip DPS! - *With Atziri*

Hey Mollari, question for ya. I'm going to play this build because it looks like an amazing use of my favorite dagger in the game, but I really want to be Shadow. The build can be easily the same, but I'm wondering what should take priority while leveling? Should I bee-line for damage/working into ranger zone (seriously, call Kenny Loggins) or work on a balance of survivability and inch my way down? I'm awful at leveling when it comes to passive choices (I did it once on my ranger and then just respec'd to 5 different builds because of how bad I am at it). Also, how much DPS would you consider Mings/Death Rush to be over just two decent diamond rings?

Thanks for any help!
I can give you love, rocking horses, and dancing!
"
Hey Mollari, question for ya. I'm going to play this build because it looks like an amazing use of my favorite dagger in the game, but I really want to be Shadow. The build can be easily the same, but I'm wondering what should take priority while leveling? Should I bee-line for damage/working into ranger zone (seriously, call Kenny Loggins) or work on a balance of survivability and inch my way down? I'm awful at leveling when it comes to passive choices (I did it once on my ranger and then just respec'd to 5 different builds because of how bad I am at it). Also, how much DPS would you consider Mings/Death Rush to be over just two decent diamond rings?

Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't worry too much about the crit until you feel you have survivability. That will depend on your gear so that will be up to you but the general rule would be no need to stack crit until later. Things like the Nightstalker and Flaying section can be saved for last. Snagging the 1h/dagger damage nodes on your way to the ranger section would be recommended but really up to you. Ungils (35) -> Mightflay (low 50s)-> Rare (65) -> Bino's should be the dagger progression with what level you should use them do. Since there are great daggers for leveling picking up some of the dagger nodes shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that you will want Adder's Touch when you hit 65 to work with Bino's but other then that go towards the ranger grab life/block and add damage when you feel you either need more or you are tanky enough. Good luck!
IGN: @MollariFindsStuff
Livestream: twitch.tv/MollariGaming
http://www.Mollari.com
Posting to offer some feedback.

The build is fun and deals more damage than any other character I've used. By the end, it could kill just about any creature that wasn't a boss in a single attack. Combined with Whirling Blades and some fun Vaal skills, the end result is that you feel like a freight train. I had plenty of fun with this build.

That being said, I've shelved this character for now. Despite the fun I had, I found this build to be inappropriately squishy for high maps. I've detailed the issues I've encountered below, with the main ideas bolded. Mollari - please take this as critique intended to improve what you've devised.

Bino's regeneration is inconsistent. If you're fighting tough enemies that you can't kill in <2s, the regeneration effect stops. If you don't have Bino's regen up, your survivability is minimal. I concede that appropriate play style can frequently engineer situations such that regeneration downtime is fairly small, but some situations cannot be helped. In my experience, this situation occurs most often in the presence of an 'Allies Cannot Die' aura.

Molten Strike has a counter-synergy with Bino's regeneration. If your projectiles score a kill, you don't get the regeneration effect. This is a notable problem because most of this build's damage comes from its projectiles. The low life total and low fraction of physical damage dealt limits the effectiveness of leech affixes on gear.

Block and dodge cannot replace damage reduction. Sometimes you get hit, and it hurts. Spells are a menace for this build - physical spells especially so. Along similar lines, being cursed with Vulnerability is very dangerous.

Lastly, I think that this build has serious problems with damage reflection. Accounting for projectile damage, it's clear that this build can easily exceed 1M DPS with charges + Vaal Haste + Atziri's Promise + Critical Weakness. Though the damage conversion of Molten Strike helps very much in this regard, it isn't enough to save the build. Damage reflection packs are risky. Maps with damage reflection are well more than that. Combinations like damage reflection and the Allies Cannot Die aura are outright lethal. Even damage reflection and pack size is an issue.

The higher the map level and more difficult the map affix, the clearer this build's weaknesses are, mainly because enemies take longer to kill and deal more damage.

I'll make one recommendation before you have a chance to respond - include Rumi's Concoction.
"
SilkTopHat wrote:
Posting to offer some feedback.

The build is fun and deals more damage than any other character I've used. By the end, it could kill just about any creature that wasn't a boss in a single attack. Combined with Whirling Blades and some fun Vaal skills, the end result is that you feel like a freight train. I had plenty of fun with this build.

That being said, I've shelved this character for now. Despite the fun I had, I found this build to be inappropriately squishy for high maps. I've detailed the issues I've encountered below, with the main ideas bolded. Mollari - please take this as critique intended to improve what you've devised.

Bino's regeneration is inconsistent. If you're fighting tough enemies that you can't kill in <2s, the regeneration effect stops. If you don't have Bino's regen up, your survivability is minimal. I concede that appropriate play style can frequently engineer situations such that regeneration downtime is fairly small, but some situations cannot be helped. In my experience, this situation occurs most often in the presence of an 'Allies Cannot Die' aura.

Molten Strike has a counter-synergy with Bino's regeneration. If your projectiles score a kill, you don't get the regeneration effect. This is a notable problem because most of this build's damage comes from its projectiles. The low life total and low fraction of physical damage dealt limits the effectiveness of leech affixes on gear.

Block and dodge cannot replace damage reduction. Sometimes you get hit, and it hurts. Spells are a menace for this build - physical spells especially so. Along similar lines, being cursed with Vulnerability is very dangerous.

Lastly, I think that this build has serious problems with damage reflection. Accounting for projectile damage, it's clear that this build can easily exceed 1M DPS with charges + Vaal Haste + Atziri's Promise + Critical Weakness. Though the damage conversion of Molten Strike helps very much in this regard, it isn't enough to save the build. Damage reflection packs are risky. Maps with damage reflection are well more than that. Combinations like damage reflection and the Allies Cannot Die aura are outright lethal. Even damage reflection and pack size is an issue.

The higher the map level and more difficult the map affix, the clearer this build's weaknesses are, mainly because enemies take longer to kill and deal more damage.

I'll make one recommendation before you have a chance to respond - include Rumi's Concoction.

Bino's regeneration is inconsistent. - Are you holding down shift and swinging into nothing? You are the first person who I have heard ever had a problem with keeping Bino's regen up. If your regen isn't up your granite should be. I have personally never run into this problem so I cannot comment much outside of maybe you're shift clicking and hitting nothing with the melee attack.

Molten Strike has a counter-synergy with Bino's regeneration. - Again, as long as you are right clicking mobs you should never have this problem. If you feel it is too RNG, there is always the ability to switching Life Gain on Hit instead of Added Fire for situations you feel you need more.

Block and dodge cannot replace damage reduction. Physical spells can also be be helped by smart granite usage. Granted its not immunity by any stretch (28% phys reduction) with my granite up that is enough to allow you to continue to score killing blows to keep Bino's regen up. You can also add a quicksilver of warding in place of a quicksilver of adrenaline for 6 seconds of curse immunity per use (20q).

this build has serious problems with damage reflection I have run physical and magic reflect maps without any problem at all. I have run 78s with each type of reflect and had no problem what so ever. Again, if you feel you need more survivability, Life Gain on Hit works wonders with Molten Strike as each hit of the projectile alongside the melee portion will return life.

I would suggest linking your gear and flasks as I feel this could be something on your end. Also note that I appreciate any feedback, good or bad, because you may not be the only person running into a problem. If I need to put more emphasis on switching to a Life Gain on Hit gem for more problematic map mods then I can do that. To prove my point about Life Gain on Hit I just quickly created a video doing a 77 Shrine with a 220 DPS dagger with 7% crit instead of Bino's (absolutely no Bino's regen) and switching in Life Gain on Hit for Added Fire. Outside of a couple of annoying door desyncs I was never even low. Couple Life Gain on Hit with Bino's Regen and you can see how I am not sure where the survivability problems come into play.

The link to the video can be found below. Note that I even left Blood Rage turned off for a while on purpose around the 2:05ish mark to show that it was the Life Gain on Hit doing the work and not the 10% leech from Blood Rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmM2iZT2gQk

I am very interested to see your gear even even a video if at all possible to pinpoint any problems you may be having. It just really sounds like you have ignored Life Gain on Hit for possible sketchy map mods. Please keep me updated! Thanks again for your reply, like I said, any feedback is welcome as you may not be the only person experiencing these problems!

----------------

Edit: Video had completed processing and works.
Last edited by MollariGaming on Jul 21, 2014, 10:05:29 PM
No, I haven't had any issues with the shift key.

A thought occurred to me: do you play with parties often? I do, and that's where I notice the most trouble. What sort of maps do you run - magic or rare?

Additionally, you're correct - I leveled with Life Gain on Hit, but didn't use it after level 68 or so.

As requested:

My gear

I've rerolled colors on the gloves and boots because I use them on another character as well. They held Whirling Blades + Faster Attacks + Blood Rage + Blood Magic and the prescribed auras, respectively.
"
SilkTopHat wrote:
No, I haven't had any issues with the shift key.

A thought occurred to me: do you play with parties often? I do, and that's where I notice the most trouble. What sort of maps do you run - magic or rare?

Additionally, you're correct - I leveled with Life Gain on Hit, but didn't use it after level 68 or so.

As requested:

My gear

I've rerolled colors on the gloves and boots because I use them on another character as well. They held Whirling Blades + Faster Attacks + Blood Rage + Blood Magic and the prescribed auras, respectively.

The video in the previous post is now processed and works. If you are running in a party and getting the wrath/anger buffs then you will need to switch in Life Gain on Hit for Added Fire and possibly even Life Leech for Weapon Elemental Damage. I touched on this in the reflect section of the guide but can make more of an emphasis on it. I really think that the problems you were having with the build (especially in parties where you have a lesser chance to proc Bino's Regen) can be remedied by switching in Life Gain on Hit if not also Life Leech for Weapon Elemental Damage per group make up and map mods.

I have run this build is 6 person parties without a problem even rare. I tend to record only solo as its a lot easier on my computer. If you get around to busting that character out again please update me on how it ended up. I will edit the guide to make more of an emphasis on Life Gain on Hit as needed. Good luck!
Last edited by MollariGaming on Jul 21, 2014, 10:36:35 PM
Mkay, I started yesterday and got to level 68 today. This build is ridiculous. Just shitting poison and fireballs everywhere. Crit split and RF were no where near as fun to play as this haha. In your first post, you say it's Apex capable. Any tips once I've leveled up more? Only ever done her ranged, so yeah. Should I use a Rise or Saffell on her or just stick with normal shield?

Thanks for this amazing build haha
I can give you love, rocking horses, and dancing!
"
Mkay, I started yesterday and got to level 68 today. This build is ridiculous. Just shitting poison and fireballs everywhere. Crit split and RF were no where near as fun to play as this haha. In your first post, you say it's Apex capable. Any tips once I've leveled up more? Only ever done her ranged, so yeah. Should I use a Rise or Saffell on her or just stick with normal shield?

Thanks for this amazing build haha

Glad you're having a blast! When it comes to Atziri this build can complete it but keep in mind there are far better builds for farming her. Atziri was a complete afterthought and I didn't even bother trying until I had the gear I do in the guide. Atziri is not really my style of endgame (rng fragments to enter, rng fragments to uber aka rng gated by rng) so it was just to see if I could. If you need help when you eventually get there let me know!
hey mollari, last week i tried to make my first run for atziri with this build. I got killed by her, when she changed herself into her mirrored form at second time. maybe you can make some videos about running of atziri?

the gears i am using atm:
Spoiler

my passive tree (little different from your tree):

tyvm for this cool build ^^ and gl
Trading still sucks
Last edited by Hynova on Jul 23, 2014, 11:04:23 AM
"
hey mollari, last week i tried to make my first run for atziri with this build. I got killed by her, when she changed herself into her mirrored form at second time. maybe you can make some videos about running of atziri?

the gears i am using atm:
Spoiler

my passive tree (little different from your tree):

tyvm for this cool build ^^ and gl

Glad you liked the build! I have gone and created a walkthrough for this build through killing the bosses in normal Apex. I have edited the guide to include this information and the video can be found directly at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_NQmEPY4Q. If you still have questions let me know!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info