Breakdown of Saturday's Marathon Sales Day

"
simballine wrote:
I thought I saw a Storm Call Totem Effect during the sale but its not in the stats anywhere?

That was normal sale day after at around 29% discount
This was certainly a good experiment and while hindsight is always 20/20, that's never a bad thing to learn from it. IMHO, despite how much MTX I bought, there were a few things that could have been done better:

1. Time Zone Differences - As someone else stated before, while the whole 1 hour sale thing was a nice idea, it really hurt people like myself and others that couldn't get in on the first few deals because we were asleep. I can understand the notion that the hourly thing was like a 'door buster deal' or something like that, but in this kind of thing with the audience that GGG has...I think this could be improved in the future. I think it might have been better for each item to go on sale for 24 hours, and still adding a new item every hour and then that one staying on sale for 24 hours.

This gives people plenty of time and opportunity to take advantage of the deals and also gives them some extra leeway, too. If someone is holding out for a particular MTX, but also wants one of the previous ones, then if the MTX they really wanted doesn't show up they can still get one or more of the earlier ones. This is also means people aren't screwed over via time zone differences as well. I know this would technically turn the whole promotion into a 2 day sale, so perhaps the sale hours could be cut down or tweaked, but at least give them more than just an hour in the future.

2. Lack Of In-game Notifications - Race announcements show up and for a sale like this, it wouldn't hurt if they also popped up in the chat box. Something like: "New item <insert name here> has just gone up for 50% off in the MTX shop! Go check it out if you are interested and remember that point packs are available!" As others have said, not everyone remembered to check out all the new deals as they were going up, and some were probably very engrossed in the game at the time. The log-in screen is nice, but in-game announcements make for better notifications...perhaps even a reminder every 15-20 minutes just in case people didn't catch the first one?

3. Lack Of Pets - More personal than anything, but I was rather disappointed to not see any of the pets on sale. I know people were asking for things like the Lightning Scorpion, Lightning Bat, Fire Fox, and others to go on sale, and not a single one was. While I know that pets are more of a 'one time purchase' as you only need one for all your characters, there are pets that are still far too overpriced. Lightning Scorpion is a prime offender here, and while I know there's the viewpoint that it's meant for something like a 'status symbol'...honestly...it's not. It's an overpriced MTX that should by no means cost as much as it does. IMHO it should be at the most 500 points, and even then that's pushing it.

That said and all personal opinions aside, I do believe that some pets like the ones mentioned above should have gotten in over things like the Mummy skin given how many people I saw asking for them to go on sale. There is always a next time, but I think GGG should've considered the pets...they are quite popular and people like having them out. Especially when people are trying to make a 'theme set' based around what abilities they use, like me wanting lightning-based MTXs for my Mjolner build, or someone wanting fiery stuff for their Inferanl Blow/Molten Strike build, etc, etc.

There are one or two other things I'd like to mention, but I will leave it as these three for now. :)
If you do another 24-hour mtx marathon please make sure it doesn't crash/disconnect the client every time the hourly deal changes.
I was really lucky voted for 4 Items and all were on sale!

Thanks GG :)
Just me or is there no effect (yet) for shields ?
IGNs: [TempCI, Flamin, - Std] / [EK_Tanker - HC]
[Comstark, ShavronnesMistress - Anarchy] [MontreGulsTITANS, - Dom / CLHS_Tank - Nemesis]
[Atziri_Achiever - Ambush] / [ArcerONaRampage - Rampage]
Damn it. i Wanted and missed Demon King Horns, it was during night ...

got 180 points and now i will wait with it...
ign: CrushTheEvil
Last edited by Crushader on Jun 9, 2014, 11:49:13 AM
for all those people that want to know all sales in advance: this uncertainty is the only advantage of the whole sales event. there is no other. people constantly checking the website is drawing people's attention towards microtransactions, that's it.

there is a reason, many companies do not allow their products to be on sale at all because it devalues their product. (f.e. car companies, and certain consumer brands or other high end products) people who buy certain items cheaper expect them to be that cheap the next time they want it. which draws down overall sales figures and counters the positive effect of the sales events.

ggg making sales shows how less trust they have in the effect of "must have this microtransaction" in people when they see these effects ingame.

to push sales i would recommend bundles instead of a plain price reduction of single items, that way people buy more effects, get an incentive to spend money and it doesn't devalue the value of single micotransations.

Spoiler
tbh, the real reason for this rant is seraph wings being the thirdmost item sold. my fear is, that chris having done some economics studying will probably order more angel like stuff in the future. unicorns ftw. another reason is: with my girfriend being away i played the whole weekend and got no reward at all.
Last edited by cronus on Jun 9, 2014, 11:47:43 AM
All in all, I think the 24H sale could have been organized a little better. The premise behind getting the community to vote for items they would like discounted and holding an "auction" is amazing.

However, I would like have liked to see the a schedule of when certain items were being sold. Waiting up 24H just to see if the item you voted for comes on is rather taxing, especially when you've got work and other daily things to attend to.

+1 for having another one of these but with a schedule
I wish that this type of deal marathon would occur on a day(s) that I don't work back-to-back 12 hour shifts.

Every event that takes place on weekends is a instant no-go for me. :..(

Of course, I am in the minority. But still, hoping to have some events/deals on non-weekends in the future.
Every man's conscience is vile and depraved. You can not rely on it to be your guide when it's you who must keep it satisfied.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
I am wondering why the 24hr sale was back-to-back, i.e. only 1 item every hour.

From what i've read on reddit, a fair number of people missed the sales because of time zone differences.

Why weren't all 24 sales items discounted for 24hrs duration? This way, nobody would have missed an item due to time zone differences.

Is there a particular reason why GGG chose to run the marathon this way? Are people more likely to purchase the current sales item if they don't know the next (and possibly the one they're waiting for)?

Am also curious about this.

No need to be curious.

the answer is simple.

They didn't think of it probably. lol

They said they'll build upon what they learned and I guarantee you scheduling is a part of that.

It is just people we're dealing with after all. Things will be better next time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info