1.1.3 Contains Two Vaal Auras

"
fadekill wrote:
"
NagiSoi wrote:
I still say its better to have cd's on most of the vaal skills than soul requirements.

I'm completly against coold downs in an ARPG. While I don't like Ultimates at all, Souls are the better solution since they keep you in your pace killing stuff. Set Cooldowns encourage slowing down to use the ultimates on more mobs overall which is contrary to the fun, fast pasted combat.

souls are an arbitrary cooldown (have to refil so you have downtime between casts)

if they only want 1 use per zone they need to have their damage increased by about 300% so they can one shot bosses

otherwise there is no point other than a gimmick
S L O W E R
Extra ES (in big numbers) is great, but the recharge delay nullification is a bit far in my opinion. Of course no one will complain, I myself have a CI char and this would be an incredible panic button. But this gem will be triggered way too often. In a party it will be possible to trigger it constantly via team members. The recharge rate on ES is so high that it doesn't seem like a fair addition.
Exile is an illusion, exile!
Vaal Auras seem to be an quite interesting idea, but just of academic interest: Does it reserve (percental) Mana? If yes, it will become complete useless, because most high-ES builds haven't enough Mana for casting it. And non-ES-builds have no use for such a skill.
"
fadekill wrote:
"
NagiSoi wrote:
I still say its better to have cd's on most of the vaal skills than soul requirements.

I'm completly against coold downs in an ARPG. While I don't like Ultimates at all, Souls are the better solution since they keep you in your pace killing stuff. Set Cooldowns encourage slowing down to use the ultimates on more mobs overall which is contrary to the fun, fast pasted combat.

I like ultimates and I completely disagree with you. I want option to use vaal skills whenever I want even if it's not so often. I want profit from my decision not use ultimate in unnecessary situations and keep it charged up for the right time. At last somehow allow us to bring charged vaal skill to new instance.
"
ampdecay wrote:
"
fadekill wrote:
"
NagiSoi wrote:

souls are an arbitrary cooldown (have to refil so you have downtime between casts)

if they only want 1 use per zone they need to have their damage increased by about 300% so they can one shot bosses

otherwise there is no point other than a gimmick

All cooldowns are arbitrary of a kind. But Vaal Skills are a gimmick anyways. I already said I don't like the idea at all, but as it is souls are still better than cd's in this case. One-Shotting bosses won't be a good addition for the game btw.

"
Langhun wrote:
"
fadekill wrote:
"
NagiSoi wrote:

I like ultimates and I completely disagree with you. I want option to use vaal skills whenever I want even if it's not so often. I want profit from my decision not use ultimate in unnecessary situations and keep it charged up for the right time. At last somehow allow us to bring charged vaal skill to new instance.

See, your statement contradicts itself. Skills with long cooldowns are never meant to be used whenever you want. Hence they create the feeling where you don't want to waste them and don't have them in a situation you might need them more. This is not fluid game play, it's the opposite and it's bad game design imho.
Last edited by fadekill on Apr 25, 2014, 9:49:14 AM
I can't see anything in the skill description to suggest a mana cost. I'm guessing the cost then is 'souls.' The mechanic is alright...though I'd prefer something else like a long cooldown, since it makes use of it unachievable at times. And by long I don't mean 3-5 minutes. I guess it's just weird that it uses the same mechanic as flasks but with a different name. (flask charges, souls)

That said; energy shield cooldown is not delayed? The numbers for ES restore is insane. If not for the ES boost, the delay alone will be more than enough to simply tank through most anything. Also; "Base duration" is 6 seconds and it has a 'duration' tag. I can easily, base duration, see that skill lasting up to 18 seconds. Talk about just powering through something difficult!

Even Vaal Immortal Call isn't as useful. Because when its effect wears off; it leaves you at 1 health if you were there. This? You'd practically be on full ES.
Last edited by knightace on Apr 25, 2014, 11:35:38 AM
Suddenly buff effect/duration looks pretty nice.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
"
fadekill wrote:
See, your statement contradicts itself. Skills with long cooldowns are never meant to be used whenever you want. Hence they create the feeling where you don't want to waste them and don't have them in a situation you might need them more. This is not fluid game play, it's the opposite and it's bad game design imho.

Meh, your words. Of course, I want optimal / balanced cool down duration. But this wasn't my point.
"
Langhun wrote:
"
fadekill wrote:
"
NagiSoi wrote:

I agree with Langhun, I like ultimates like it is in PoE, with an incentive on killing more and more stuff. Some Vaal skills may seem useless, especially endgame (like Vaal Lightning Warp...?), but for leveling those skills are awesome. I was using a Remote Mine Vaal Coldsnap and it was very satisfying. While I found that annoying at first, I like the idea that vaal charges stay only for that instance, but -- why can't we charge up more than ONE charge? Having 2 charges with maybe a little cooldown would be cool! (let's say it takes 2x more kills to stack a 2nd charge and maybe a little cooldown between releases of the charges)
My guess would be this is 24 souls on normal which makes it 72 on merciless?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't souls work like that?
S L O W E R

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info