[Official] WINE info thread

I don't know if anyone has posted it yet so I'll post it again.

This game works perfectly with Play On Linux

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

To install
*Start PlayOnLinux
*Click Install
*At the bottom there is a text link "Install other program not in the list"
*Choose Next
*Choose "Install in a new virtual station"
*Next
*Give the virtual station a name (PoE) for example
*Next
*Choose "Install some Libraries"
*Next
*Choose "64-bits installation (if you are on multi-arch or 64-bit linux)
(hopefully noone is using 32-bits anymore as we have had 64 bit computers for more than 7 years now)
*The new station will be created
*Choose the following libraries by adding a checkmark in front:
**POL_Install_d3dx11
**POL_Install_dxdiag
**POL_Install_dxfullsetup
*NEXT
*Choose the big button Add
*find the PathOfExileInstaller.msi
*Choose Open
*NEXT
*Click Next,Next,Next,Next,Next the Windows Installer for Path of Exile
*Choose
*Client.exe to make a shortcut
*Give it the name Path of Exile
*NEXT
*Choose "I don't want to make any more shortcuts"
*Double click on the new Path of Exile Icon
*Let the game download
*Then click Launch
*and Enjoy this fantastic game!
tried everything, running POE in bootcamp under windows will always be 10x better performance than wine wrappers...
Exiled for Eternity
"
smartybarty wrote:
tried everything, running POE in bootcamp under windows will always be 10x better performance than wine wrappers...

Bootcamp is just Windows. You have Windows running Windows video drivers, I'm sure it's fine. But it sounds to me like you aren't using the right video drivers on the other OS if wine has such poor performance. Try other games which are native to the platform. Do they have 3D acceleration? They do not. Install your video driver and try again.
So after reading practically every post/thread I could find on the issue, I was able to get PoE working on my Debian sid amd64 with NVidia GTX660 (4GB RAM).

I kept trying different versions of 1.5.x (mainly 1.5.21 recently) as well as compiling it myself and applying various patches. It would always result in the same problem. PoE would leak memory like mad (even with the -gc 2 setting) and eventually end up crashing about 10-15 minutes later due to running out of memory.

After reading more posts in here, I decided to use PlayOnLinux and install PoE into there so I could more easily swap around the wine version. After going down to version 1.4.1 I was able to play for over 2 hours solid without a single problem. My memory stayed at around 1.5GB usage which was nice to see, and it worked flawlessly after that point.

So to me, it seems like there was something introduced in wine between 1.4.1 and 1.5.21 that causes a severe memory leak in PoE. I have no idea what it is, but that seems to be the case for me.

If there are any more details or any information anyone would like on my setup or experience, let me know. I"m just happy I was finally able to get it working properly (although sadly only a week left before end of beta/character wipe).
"
Drakier wrote:
So after reading practically every post/thread I could find on the issue, I was able to get PoE working on my Debian sid amd64 with NVidia GTX660 (4GB RAM).

I kept trying different versions of 1.5.x (mainly 1.5.21 recently) as well as compiling it myself and applying various patches. It would always result in the same problem. PoE would leak memory like mad (even with the -gc 2 setting) and eventually end up crashing about 10-15 minutes later due to running out of memory.

After reading more posts in here, I decided to use PlayOnLinux and install PoE into there so I could more easily swap around the wine version. After going down to version 1.4.1 I was able to play for over 2 hours solid without a single problem. My memory stayed at around 1.5GB usage which was nice to see, and it worked flawlessly after that point.

So to me, it seems like there was something introduced in wine between 1.4.1 and 1.5.21 that causes a severe memory leak in PoE. I have no idea what it is, but that seems to be the case for me.

If there are any more details or any information anyone would like on my setup or experience, let me know. I"m just happy I was finally able to get it working properly (although sadly only a week left before end of beta/character wipe).

same on Mac OSX. Also the problem is between 1.4.1 and 1.5.15+, If someone can narrow the problem to two consequent versions, I will run regression test, and report a bug...
"
julus wrote:

the problem is between 1.4.1 and 1.5.15+, If someone can narrow the problem to two consequent versions, I will run regression test, and report a bug...

That's the reason I'm running 1.5.6. You can look after that version for the problem.
"
julus wrote:
same on Mac OSX. Also the problem is between 1.4.1 and 1.5.15+, If someone can narrow the problem to two consequent versions, I will run regression test, and report a bug...

If I get a chance this week or maybe this weekend, I'll try swapping around my wine version in PlayOnLinux and see if I can binary search this thing into the ground. Looks like based on the most recent post, 1.5.6 is good as well, so I'll start there, then split the difference and see if I can narrow it down.

I briefly remember attempting 1.5.12 and it also had the same issue, so my guess is that it is probably somewhere between 1.5.6 and 1.5.12 but I'll test just to make sure when I get some time.

It would be awesome to get this narrowed down and fixed so that they can update the newer wine versions to have this fix as well, in addition to all the other cool stuff they have added.
OK.. I did some testing today and have some good results to report.

1.5.6 - works as advertised earlier.
1.5.7 - I couldn't get into the game past the character screen. Some error about deserialising.
1.5.8 - worked but felt a little slower loading into the game, and initially into the first zone. Loading into new zones seemed as normal with 1.5.6.
1.5.9 - crashed due to the memory leak problem

So based on what I tested, it seems that whatever was introduced that caused the memory leak was done between 1.5.8 and 1.5.9.

I did not test 1.5.10 or 1.5.11, but 1.5.12 also crashed with the same memory problem.

Hope that helps out in some way. Someone else might want to test as well to make sure it's not just my machine or configuration or something. All I did between tests was modify the wine version in PlayOnLinux. Everything else was kept the same between runs.

Edit: on a second attempt, I got the same deserialise error in 1.5.8 when I tried to get back in. I WAS able to play with 1.5.8 at one point though, so I'm still confident that whatever caused the memory problem was between 1.5.8 and 1.5.9. I'll stick to 1.5.6 for now, or if that one causes me problems 1.4.1 as I had before.
Last edited by Drakier on Jan 16, 2013, 6:41:10 PM
"
Drakier wrote:
OK.. I did some testing today and have some good results to report.

1.5.6 - works as advertised earlier.
1.5.7 - I couldn't get into the game past the character screen. Some error about deserialising.
1.5.8 - worked but felt a little slower loading into the game, and initially into the first zone. Loading into new zones seemed as normal with 1.5.6.
1.5.9 - crashed due to the memory leak problem

So based on what I tested, it seems that whatever was introduced that caused the memory leak was done between 1.5.8 and 1.5.9.

I did not test 1.5.10 or 1.5.11, but 1.5.12 also crashed with the same memory problem.

Hope that helps out in some way. Someone else might want to test as well to make sure it's not just my machine or configuration or something. All I did between tests was modify the wine version in PlayOnLinux. Everything else was kept the same between runs.

Edit: on a second attempt, I got the same deserialise error in 1.5.8 when I tried to get back in. I WAS able to play with 1.5.8 at one point though, so I'm still confident that whatever caused the memory problem was between 1.5.8 and 1.5.9. I'll stick to 1.5.6 for now, or if that one causes me problems 1.4.1 as I had before.

Excellent, thank you, I will get to regression test when I came back from vacation.
"
julus wrote:
Excellent, thank you, I will get to regression test when I came back from vacation.

No problem. I'd like to point out that the "load" issue with 1.5.8 wasn't my imagination. It took significantly longer to get into the first zone and past the character select screen in 1.5.8 and if 1.5.7 were to load, I feel it would be the same problem.

So while there is an issue with the memory leak between 1.5.8 and 1.5.9, I feel there is something else dealing with the load times between 1.5.6 and 1.5.8 (probably between 1.5.6 and 1.5.7)

In my tests with 1.5.6, after selecting my character it took less than 15 seconds to get to the loading screen for the zone, and into the actual game. When I performed the test with 1.5.8 it took closer to 60 seconds to get into the first zone once I clicked my character, and then loading between zones took around 5-10 seconds.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info