[Official] WINE info thread

I just switched to Lubuntu from Windows and I've managed to install PoE with just regular Wine without any problems, but the DirectX 11 version won't run at all (it gives about 10 different errors), and the DirectX 9 version does run, but the colours in the main menu are messed up and the in-game screen stutters and gets graphic bugs all the time. The game ran on Windows on this same PC very smoothly. How can I fix this? I'm very new to Linux, so idiot-proof instructions would be appreciated. :)

Edit: the flickers went away after I turned off engine multi-threading, but the game was very laggy in town and froze completely after I left it for about 5 minutes in my hideout. Then I restarted the computer (nothing else worked), went in again, did 3 rather short daily quests and it froze up again. :( So, obviously, this isn't really playable. Can anyone help?

Please quote me so I'd get a PM when you answer, and thanks in advance!
Last edited by Ora9 on Jul 16, 2018, 10:13:16 AM
"
Mang0Soulja wrote:
"
iao wrote:
"
Mang0Soulja wrote:

Notes: The default startup arguments are: --nologo --gc2 --nodx9ex --waitforpreload
--waitforpreload : Loading is now much quicker
--nodx9ex : minimap now displays correctly

Now currently using: --nologo --gc2 --softwareaudio
I'm not sure what --softwareaudio does or if it makes any difference.
I'm playing with DX11. DX9 or DX9Ex did not work for me.

By the way make sure you're using "-gc 2" and not "--gc2".

Thanks, I got that changed.

On another note, it seems while on PoE Wine, it crashes the PC after 5-10min. Graphics stop moving first, audio then stops and mouse pointer freezes. Dead.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem with the game hanging and then a second after the whole system.
I fixed it by flashing my BIOS to the latest version (Asus X470-F to version 4011).
Haven't had a single crash since then.
"
iao wrote:
For those interested in testing out new developments, there is a patch to Wine now making the rounds called esync.

tl;dr (but seriously read the README) by reddit user radixsqrt:
"
Reimplements synchronization objects to require less or no roundtrips from the application to wineserver, this can decrease wine's cpu usage in some situations (generally involving lots of IO).

Turn it on with WINEESYNC=1

Basically, PoE is a very CPU-intensive game so I think this may yield improvements.

Lutris has a compiled version of Wine + esync and if you're on Arch there's this edited version of the wine-staging-pba-git package (which also contains the PoE DX11 patch, PBA patch, and some more).

Also make sure to edit your /etc/security/limits.conf if necessary, as is explained in the esync README.

esync-3.12 is now published on lutris. I tried it out and my FPS is better and MUCH more stable, no stuttering for me!
Silly question: is WINEESYNC=1 environment variable or command line option? To put it bluntly, where do I type it to turn esync on?
"
Kemichal wrote:
esync-3.12 is now published on lutris. I tried it out and my FPS is better and MUCH more stable, no stuttering for me!

How do I update to esync in Lutris? Or do I need to re-install?

I'm currently running the game via PlayOnLinux with DX9Ex. It works great for a while, but has the pretty annoying virtual memory problem, so the game crashes regularly. Tried Lutris earlier with ge-3.6, but it stuttered like hell and was unplayable. If this new version makes it playable without crashing every 20-30 minutes, that would be brilliant.
"
ToriVega wrote:
Silly question: is WINEESYNC=1 environment variable or command line option? To put it bluntly, where do I type it to turn esync on?

It's an env variable.

"
Pangaearocks wrote:
"
Kemichal wrote:

How do I update to esync in Lutris? Or do I need to re-install?

I'm currently running the game via PlayOnLinux with DX9Ex. It works great for a while, but has the pretty annoying virtual memory problem, so the game crashes regularly. Tried Lutris earlier with ge-3.6, but it stuttered like hell and was unplayable. If this new version makes it playable without crashing every 20-30 minutes, that would be brilliant.

Lutris -> Manage runners -> Wine -> Manage versions -> double click esync-3.12 (for me it takes a while before it starts to show the download)

This poe install was updated just a few minutes ago and makes all the necessary configs for you.
https://lutris.net/games/install/6653/view
"
Kemichal wrote:
Lutris -> Manage runners -> Wine -> Manage versions -> double click esync-3.12 (for me it takes a while before it starts to show the download)

This poe install was updated just a few minutes ago and makes all the necessary configs for you.

Thanks. After making those changes in Lutris (including setting DXVK to 0.63) and the existing POE configuration, it still started downloading the whole 10.7 GB, so I aborted, cleaned out what I had, and started over. The game starts, but DX11 fails on startup, so POE reverts to DX9Ex. How would I solve that?

I'm already running DX9Ex on POL, so I basically assume this version will have the same virtual memory crashing issues too, which is why I would like to try out DX11. How would I go about achieving that?

However, if this version of running DX9Ex is more stable and doesn't crash when reaching 4GB of virtual memory, then it's still a step in the right direction. Provided it doesn't stutter like a real-time cartoon :P
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
"
Kemichal wrote:

Thanks. After making those changes in Lutris (including setting DXVK to 0.63) and the existing POE configuration, it still started downloading the whole 10.7 GB, so I aborted, cleaned out what I had, and started over. The game starts, but DX11 fails on startup, so POE reverts to DX9Ex. How would I solve that?

I'm already running DX9Ex on POL, so I basically assume this version will have the same virtual memory crashing issues too, which is why I would like to try out DX11. How would I go about achieving that?

However, if this version of running DX9Ex is more stable and doesn't crash when reaching 4GB of virtual memory, then it's still a step in the right direction. Provided it doesn't stutter like a real-time cartoon :P

What distro and graphics driver are you using? There might be some dependencies that you are missing.
I think I had to install libvulkan1 libvulkan1:i386 to get it working.

What error message do you get? There should be some dx log files in the PoE folder that might give a clue.
Last edited by Kemichal on Jul 22, 2018, 5:43:18 AM
"
Kemichal wrote:
What distro and graphics driver are you using? There might be some dependencies that you are missing.
I think I had to install libvulkan1 libvulkan1:i386 to get it working.

What error message do you get? There should be some dx log files in the PoE folder that might give a clue.

I just got a brief message when starting the game about DX11 not working and it reverting to DX9. HOWEVER, I have got it working now. From the Lutris wiki it says we need the Nvidia 396 driver and mesa 18.1.2+. I'm on Linux Mint 18.2 which hasn't that version in the repository (18.0.5), but thankfully it still managed to run after upgrading to these versions (I actually had Nvidia 384 before, which may or may not have been the bigger issue). I did try to install the vulkan drivers, but they were already present from the last attempt a month or so ago.

Admittedly there are some stutters here and there, despite the screen saying 60 FPS, but it's much, MUCH more stable than before. I played for several hours, going from zone to zone to test if it crashed. I noticed virtual memory sat a shade short of 4 GB for a long time, the previous crashing point, so I tried some stress tests by doing incursions and the temple. Still didn't crash. And after the temple the virtual memory had risen to 4300 MB.

So here's hoping this continues to work so I won't have to restart/have the game crash every 20-30 minutes or so, even when just doing map->hideout->map->ad inf.
The script has been updated a few times over the last few days I see, and now uses esync 3.13, so I'll change to that and see how it works (already downloaded it yesterday).

There is also a link to this: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-Esync. Do I need that WINEESYNC environmental variable? It's not present currently, and the game worked fine yesterday.

e: Set the variable of course and have been playing for several hours now. It's so fantastic to be able to do that and no longer be worried about the game crashing at any moment (sometimes even totally locking up the system). Really hope it will continue to perform like this through GGG patches and not get ruined at the next crossroad. Great respect and many thank yous to whoever made these files and put them out to the general public.
Last edited by Pangaearocks on Jul 23, 2018, 7:23:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info