[Official] WINE info thread

^
Last edited by _MAL_ on Nov 4, 2017, 5:08:53 PM
It looks like memory is indeed the issue. Measuring memory is always a bit wonky. PoE typically starts at 1.5G-1.6G resident and climbs to 1.8G-1.9G resident. One interesting observation is that standing in town for a while after slowdown has occurred will fix it, but slowdowns happens again really fast.

I tried with -gc 1 to make the garbage collection more aggressive, but it didn't really help.

AFAIK PoE is a 32 bit process, which means that it cannot address more than 4 gig (and typically 1 or 2 gig reserved for kernel)
Hi, i tried setting

texture_quality=3

in production_Config.ini. This lower the memory consumption significantly. Clients now starts at 1.1G when in town, and slowly climbs to ~1.7G where it stays. I didn't have a lot of time, but it was playable for around 40 minutes. There are some periodic slowdowns but the client seems to recover from it nicely.

Game looks like crap though.

Hope this helps, try it out.
Anyone preparing for
"
... 2.4.2 (skills and DX11 stuff) ...

Will this impact wine?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ - I suck at this game.
I installed PoE with playonlinux and wine 1.7.55 on Debian AMD64 yesterday. I have a Samsung EVO 850 SSD, Core i7, 12GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB. Since the Game ran pretty fast on Windows 7 with my old ATI 5750 HD, I expected it to run flawlessly on wine.

That is not so.

I got regular frame drops and freezes here and there. It is playable, but as soon as a new group of monsters attacks the game is unplayable. I suspect that the game phases out content when it needs to load new content.

Although this seemed pointless, I nevertheless did an experiment. I created a tmpfs of 8 GB and copied the Content.ggpk there. I then renamed the original to something else and added a symbolic link to the copy on the tmpfs ram drive.

Guess what? The game runs much smoother, it never gets below 17 fps (which is by itself really low, but playable), mostly staying at 60 fps. It only froze once and just for maybe 200ms, so that is not a big deal.

This tells me that the random freezes are somehow connected to accesses to the Content.ggpk file, which nevertheless loads faster from RAM than from the SSD.

Suggestions what to try without tmpfs?

*EDIT*: It seems that the game is running out of memory after some time, which dramatically increases frame drops again. I guess more memory would alleviate the situation, but I cannot test it (no more space for DRAM modules ;) ).
Last edited by hochl on Oct 26, 2016, 5:31:20 PM
^
Last edited by _MAL_ on Nov 4, 2017, 5:09:05 PM
Ok I did some experiments and it looks as if you are right. It runs really great for the first 15 minuten and then performance gradually decreases. I got serious frame drops as soon as it got above 2.1GB, at 2.5GB it was very bad sometimes staying at 3fps for 10 seconds or longer, especially for boss groups.
"
mycaravam wrote:
Anyone preparing for
"
... 2.4.2 (skills and DX11 stuff) ...

Will this impact wine?

I was asking myself the same thing. A quick google search brought up this https://www.winehq.org/winapi_stats. There are some entries for d3dx11 with low percent values. but i am not sure what to make of this.
Hi

Wine only has partial DirectX11 support. I would not expect this to work unfortunately. There are some DirectX9 / 11 -> Vulkan wrappers showing up, which might be interesting in the future, but it is not something that is currently usable.

However there should also be engine improvements for DirextX9 back end in 2.4.2, so lets hope that will improve things.

I'm afraid lowering the texture quality didn't really much (if at all). What is clear is that the slowdown happens after enough zone changes. However some zones doesn't seem to leak much, whereas other can make the game unplayable very quickly (some master missions). Hard to fine a pattern though.
I tested this in act 4. I went to Dried Lake and it was perfect. I went to town and checked on my stash, went back to Dried Lake again and it was laggy as hell! All within like 5 minutes :(
Last edited by hochl on Oct 29, 2016, 8:00:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info