[Official] WINE info thread

"
observ wrote:
Hello,

just sharing my experience here...
i have been struggling a lot to get the game playable since the 2.3.x patches. I tried reducing graphics levels, using waitforpreload, noasync.... nothing did the trick, fps was 100+ in town and in maps (campaign) when doing nothing. As soon as I started fighting, fps went down, even reaching sometimes a "freeze" during a couple of seconds.

I just tried running the game without sound (-ns command line argument) and the game runs smoothly now (max settings, no shadows). I havbe been able to do my dailies and did 2 maps (campaign) without seeing the fps going below 20.

my specs:
WINE: 1.9.11
Gentoo 64bits
Nvidia 367.27

--> something no right with the sound architecture?

I also get freezes when attacking with sound enabled. It's almost as though the sound assets are not being cached.
"
Kellog wrote:
"
observ wrote:
Hello,

i have been struggling a lot to get the game playable since the 2.3.x patches. I tried reducing graphics levels, using waitforpreload, noasync.... nothing did the trick, fps was 100+ in town and in maps (campaign) when doing nothing. As soon as I started fighting, fps went down, even reaching sometimes a "freeze" during a couple of seconds.

I just tried running the game without sound (-ns command line argument) and the game runs smoothly now (max settings, no shadows). I havbe been able to do my dailies and did 2 maps (campaign) without seeing the fps going below 20.

my specs:
Gentoo 64bits
Nvidia 367.27

Are you using Pulseaudio? I found disabling sound entirely had little overall effect, although disabling reverb, as suggested elsewhere on these forums, did seem to make a small difference. I haven't tied with straight Alsa, as getting my bluetooth headset working without pulse is a complete pain.

Yes, using pulse audio. Playing without sound is a really weird experience, so if only removing reverb is working, I'd be most interested to know what to do!

I Don't know if disabling sound in app or with -ns has the same result, what did you exactly try?
"
observ wrote:
"
Kellog wrote:
"
observ wrote:
Hello,

my specs:
Gentoo 64bits
Nvidia 367.27

Are you using Pulseaudio? I found disabling sound entirely had little overall effect, although disabling reverb, as suggested elsewhere on these forums, did seem to make a small difference. I haven't tied with straight Alsa, as getting my bluetooth headset working without pulse is a complete pain.

Yes, using pulse audio. Playing without sound is a really weird experience, so if only removing reverb is working, I'd be most interested to know what to do!

I Don't know if disabling sound in app or with -ns has the same result, what did you exactly try?

I think I may be going mad! I could have sworn I read a post from Chris, either here or reddit, about reverb with stuttering/crashing but now I can only find posts related to reverb with no sound and/or crashing. Maybe what I was seeing was a placebo...

Anyway, I tried the '-ns' switch and it didn't seem to make any significant difference. As far as reverb is concerned, it's in the UI sound options, just untick the box. You can also edit the reverb option in production_config.ini and set it to false.

Another option, although I'm not sure it works with Linux is to use '--softwareaudio' or '-swa' instead of '--nosound/-ns'
Last edited by Kellog on Jul 6, 2016, 9:30:07 PM
Background threads under Linux.

In the recent Developer Q&A Answers Chris said:

"
Path of Exile does use more than one core, but we are working on increasing the ability for the engine to use more CPU cores over time. We have always had a background thread used for sound, but as of 2.3.0 the game has background threads that are used for loading assets to speed up load times. We are currently working on using threads for things that will improve frame rate by moving things like animation and particle effects out into threads. We should start to see the results of this work in 2.4.0.

I'm not 100% sure this is working on Linux, in fact I'm not entirely sure the current threading model is working the way it does on Windows.

Whilst monitoring the PathOfExile process I generally see around 34 child processes/threads, however, it's seldom the running thread count goes above one. As an example, when entering a new zone, say my hideout, I get:

This continues for 30 seconds or so. After that time, I get:

Watching the running thread count when changing zones, for me anyway, doesn't show an increase in the number of running threads, which I'd expect, if the aforementioned statement holds true for Linux. I've also noticed zone loading times have increased, in some cases dramatically, since these changes were made.

Furthermore, I experience similar fps issues whenever new assets are being loaded, which can be a serious problem in critical situations.

Basically, I don't see any real multi-threading as described by Chris. Can anyone check this please.

Edit:

After some additional testing, changing zones, some game play etc., I do see more than one running thread but the difference between running the game with async loading and with '--noasync', aside from REALLY long load times with he latter, really doesn't seem to be reflected in the active thread count. Moreover, as far as actual game play is concerned, I can see very little difference in fps behaviour. Using either '--noasync' or async loading, fps drops in the same way, in the same places, pretty consistently.

Last edited by Kellog on Jul 6, 2016, 10:52:20 PM
"
Kellog wrote:

I think I may be going mad! I could have sworn I read a post from Chris, either here or reddit, about reverb with stuttering/crashing but now I can only find posts related to reverb with no sound and/or crashing. Maybe what I was seeing was a placebo...

Anyway, I tried the '-ns' switch and it didn't seem to make any significant difference. As far as reverb is concerned, it's in the UI sound options, just untick the box. You can also edit the reverb option in production_config.ini and set it to false.

Another option, although I'm not sure it works with Linux is to use '--softwareaudio' or '-swa' instead of '--nosound/-ns'

Just tried without reverb... I still had latency spikes at 4k... unplayable as soon as a fight starts.
The -swa flag, however, seemed to work well. Didn't do much but I didn't see any latency spike higher than 200, which is acceptable and the game remains enjoyable.
Things are looking super good boys! Got an update from Chris.

"

Chris Wilson
7:41 PM (11 minutes ago)

to me
I think it's okay for you to say in the thread that I've indicated that 2.3.2 is likely to resolve the issue.

I hope anyways. :D
Last edited by GamingRendo on Jul 7, 2016, 7:55:50 PM
Oh wow! Good work guys!

Chris, assuming you're reading this and lurking - thank you so much for listening to a small part of the user base! It reaffirms PoE's place at the heart of my gaming library ;)

/me goes back to polishing his brand new Reach of the Council...
Hello,

I installed PoE yesterday via this tutorial: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine

When I start up the game gets to login screen and I can login. But there are no grafix other than the menues. I figured it's because openal32.dll. I have it but I just can not figure out where to put it.

Thanks for the help!
Doktor, which graphics card... drivers... etc? Intel graphics wont work. Same with open source drivers for amd/nvidia. you need the proprietary ones.

Also, i won't celebrate until i see poe working again halfway decent on linux... I won't blame ggg for linux not working - it's not officially supported and i accept that. But ofc i won't buy supporter packs for a game that i cannot currently play if you get my drift ;)
ign:
quirx_rng_pls
"
quirx wrote:
Doktor, which graphics card... drivers... etc? Intel graphics wont work. Same with open source drivers for amd/nvidia. you need the proprietary ones.

I have a Intel® Ivybridge Mobile graphics card, a Intel® Pentium(R) CPU 2117U @ 1.80GHz × 2 CPU, running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 Bit.
I don't know about the drivers, is there a way to check those?
Updates are all installed.
Last edited by DoktorIQ on Jul 8, 2016, 11:29:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info