[Official] WINE info thread

I didn't get any of the wrappers working at any point, but I did get vanilla wine-1.6.1 to work with my: Macbook Pro 15", Late 2013 (October).

IMPORTANT: Before running, get gfxCardStatus (http://gfx.io/) and switch to "Discreet only" (NVIDIA)

Tested: Mavericks 10.9, 10.9.1 13B40 (Seed Update 3)

Installation:
$ wine msiexec /i PathOfExileInstaller.msi

Configuration:
1. Read above, switch graphics card (NVIDIA Optimus) to Discreet only in gfxCardStatus

$ winetricks vcrun2010 usp10 riched20 d3dx9_36

3. winecfg - Libraries tab, select the openal/openal32 item from the dropdown and click Add.
(From here on Intel Iris Pro, Integrated works)

4. To get NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M working you need to import the following in the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"UseGLSL"="disabled"
“OffscreenRenderingMode=“fbo”

If the folder doesn't exist (usually Direct3D missing) just create it (right-click "New Key").

Alternative way to apply "UseGLSL" fix:
$ winetricks glsl=disabled

Additional handy info:
Parameters for starting Client.exe
--nosound (no sound at all, debug sound problems)
--nopreload (skips the long loading/launcher occassional problem for some users)

Regards,
dza
Last edited by dza on Dec 10, 2013, 5:10:23 PM
I just spent the better part of two days pouring over old notes, trying and re-trying to solve age-old issues.

I began with all kinds of manual stuff.

I dropped it all and went with this post:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980/page/57/#p1394190

I got a load of errors starting up. The same as this guy:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/166#p4732966

I solved it with this pile of stuff:

\winetricks \
d3dcompiler_43 \
riched20 \
d3dx9_36 \
d3dx9_42 \
vcrun2005 \
vcrun2008 \
vcrun2010 \
glsl=disabled \
usp10 \
` # `

I don't know which item or combination of items solved it.

The game has a horrible load time, made better with --nopreload

The game lags whenever working with new stuff. An ability, a dropped-item, levelling up, hitting a new monster. I am often disconnected. Zoning into a new area is an exercise in patience.

I know there's a horrifying bug with ntfs write access, which was something i struggled with earlier. I moved the install to btrfs.

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ntfs-3g/+bug/392204/

--

I conclude that it won't work under Wine. I already bought an nvidia card just for this game, with zero improvement.

I might have even been willing to blow away my installation and go with another distribution, but I doubt anything would change. I guess I'll go buy Windows.

I'm not interested in troubleshooting, but perhaps some of the above info could help others.

I recommend a wiki page be maintained, with actual instructions and point-by-point notes on what steps work and for whom. I was actually thinking of going through 100 pages of posts..
"
spiralofhope wrote:

I recommend a wiki page be maintained, with actual instructions and point-by-point notes on what steps work and for whom.

Did it a long time ago. I link to it every few pages.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine
Well, Windows 8.1 came in, and the game is running smooth. That's a chunk of money I would have much rather given to GGG.

--

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
spiralofhope wrote:

I recommend a wiki page be maintained, with actual instructions and point-by-point notes on what steps work and for whom.

Did it a long time ago. I link to it every few pages.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine

I see you keep it updated, nice.

I don't know if the additions I note in my post will be useful or not.
"
spiralofhope wrote:

I see you keep it updated, nice.

I don't know if the additions I note in my post will be useful or not.

Sorry you had to go through it all over. I know this thread is long so it can be hard to find pertinent info/links. It's been well worked out months ago and the info is on the wiki page linked above, if anyone cares to run on Linux. I am running the game flawlessly in the endgame using my guide. No lag or issues, other than a tiny bit of font corruption (the Mac port guys have the same issue). Very stable ATM, much more so than my friends on Windows actually.
spiralofhope, do not give up hope.

I have been playing on wine for weeks now with an ATI card (radeon 5770).

Although I still have problems with lag when new skills are used, and the game crashes occasionaly (usually if I've had it running for 4+ hours and try and do a boss), I would say the game is playable on wine. I'm currently in Act 3 Merciless with a Nemesis character, and while I haven't mapped yet, I don't think playing under wine is going to kill me if I remain aware of potential fps drops.

I use an SSD, but putting Content.gppk on a ramdisk and linking to it should improve load times for you. They have never been an issue for me, the game takes 3 mins to start but I zone faster than some friends who run the game on windows 8.

I am currently using wine version 1.7.7. the game would not run on 1.7.9 for me. I have heard that a 1.5.x version of wine is best for poe, but have not tried myself.

I'm running 64bit Arch Linux.

Oh and I (reluctantly) turned all graphics settings down to the lowest. It is the difference between 15fps in 6 man groups with a screen full of mobs and 5fps... i.e. life or death.

I hope support for this game under wine grows. Or god forbid, even a linux native, but I'm not holding out. GGG please prove me wrong, I would throw money your way if it happened! I admit I can't be bothered to trawl through this 100 page thread, but has anyone from GGG ever commented on wine usage and/or there stance on supporting linux?
"
croboxi wrote:

I have been playing on wine for weeks now with an ATI card (radeon 5770).

Although I still have problems with lag when new skills are used, and the game crashes occasionaly (usually if I've had it running for 4+ hours and try and do a boss), I would say the game is playable on wine. I'm currently in Act 3 Merciless with a Nemesis character, and while I haven't mapped yet, I don't think playing under wine is going to kill me if I remain aware of potential fps drops.

PoE on wine is only perfect on Nvidia cards, unfortunately. I had to buy a used Nvidia card for PoE and it now works perfectly.

I did actually find that bleeding edge open source drivers from x-swat repo were better for my ATI than the proprietary though.
"
Sovyn wrote:
I did actually find that bleeding edge open source drivers from x-swat repo were better for my ATI than the proprietary though.

Not really too sure how up-to-date x-swat is, but for the (easiest) most bleeding-edge components, try a daily kernel + oibaf's updated graphics PPA.

That radeonsi patchset really made a difference in general performance for me on my 7850, but I have yet to try PoE out (seems like nothing really changed about the hitching on new asset load).
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
I installed PoE on Ubuntu yesterday and everything works fine so far. Only exception is that i cant switch to fullscreen or change the resolution at all. This is the error message i get : " Failed resetting Direct3D device objects." Already tried to change resolution in the Config ini file but that didnt help. Does anyone here know how to fix this?

I use Ubuntu 12.04LTS, my hardware is good enough to run this game on Windows with highest settings.
I also tried some other games with wine and they worked fine.
Last edited by Mork12 on Jan 13, 2014, 10:53:23 AM
"
Mork12 wrote:
I installed PoE on Ubuntu yesterday and everything works fine so far. Only exception is that i cant switch to fullscreen or change the resolution at all. This is the error message i get : " Failed resetting Direct3D device objects." Already tried to change resolution in the Config ini file but that didnt help. Does anyone here know how to fix this?

I use Ubuntu 12.04LTS, my hardware is good enough to run this game on Windows with highest settings.
I also tried some other games with wine and they worked fine.

Could try telling Wine not to have the window manager control windows, I had to do this with osu! to get it to fullscreen properly. Downside is (at least in my case), you can't xkill the window if it should crash.
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info