[Official] WINE info thread

Sorry if I wasn't supposed to post in this or not.

I recently tried to play on Linux so I followed this guide:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/138054

and so far I got the patcher to update and then when I click launch I get the error "Failed resetting Direct3D device objects"

Here are my pc specs (I have a old pc):
RAM: 3gb
Cpu: Intel® Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz × 2
GPU: Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2

Any help would be great.
"
snarez wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't find anything online related to PoE + wine (or playonlinux) after the patch..

My guide on the wiki comes up near the top on a Google search for PoE Wine.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine

This guide is current and working in the latest patch (1.1.2).
"
samiscool30 wrote:
GPU: Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2

Will not work, sorry.
"
Malfal wrote:
Prior to the 1.1.0 update, Path of Exile ran perfectly for me using PlayOnLinux+Wine1.5.28 using Sovyn's guide on these forums (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980/page/57) and on the wiki (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine).

However, since the 1.1.0 update, I have been experiencing severe FPS drops upon nearly every monster death. The game runs smooth otherwise. I have not found any other post on these forums or on the Internets that's been able to help me fix this yet.

I have tried adjusting every possible video setting within the game and outside the game. I have tried numerous other Wine versions and many different prefixes. The game still runs perfectly EXCEPT when something dies on screen, then it stutters terribly... which is really bad when I use a room-clearing skill where all the monsters die in rapid succession. My character is frozen during that time (which will eventually lead to certain death playing in the Invasion league).

This problem has nothing to do with latency as far as I can tell. My latency is very steady in the mid 80s.

Has anyone else experienced similar performance degradation since the 1.1.0 update?

More importantly, has anyone found a solution?

My system:
Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition 3.50 GHz L2 15 MB
64 GB - 8 x 8 GB - Crucial Elite Quad Channel DDR3 - 1333 MHz
4 GB nVidia GeForce GTX 690 with 3072 CUDA Cores
Xubuntu 13.10 64 bit running on 2 x 1 TB SATA III 6 Gb/s 32 MB Cache (as 2 TB: LSI Hardware Raid 0)
Wine and PlayOnLinux running on 240 GB SATA 6 Gb/s Intel 530 Series SSD

EDIT: Error in system specs and a typo

Same here, FPS drops to zero on mob death.
"
xyz wrote:

GLSL is set to disabled? Fixes these types of issues for me (nvidia card).
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
xyz wrote:

GLSL is set to disabled? Fixes these types of issues for me (nvidia card).

Yes, it's disabled and it's nVidia card (GTX 670).
What filesystem are you using?
HAIL SATAN!
"
tramshed wrote:
What filesystem are you using?

ext4, also tried with ramdisk but the issue is still here. I guess I'll just play it from Windows for now.
Might be a locking or timer issue. I know almost nothing about ubuntu and its bastard children, it doesnt happen here though. Heres my specs in case they help.

Spoiler

Linux Behemoth 3.9.2-gentoo #5 SMP Tue Apr 8 03:24:25 EDT 2014 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-334.21
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF100 [GeForce GTX 470] (rev a3)
x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0
app-emulation/wine-1.7.12

Im using reiserfs as a filesystem (MurderFS, fuck yeah!)

Im using the midline timing and a pre-emptible kernel (Removal of the big kernel lock).

If you need more in depth help, send me a message or something.

I should note though that POE's performance in linux has gotten really fucking horrible in the last year, I dont even bother with it anymore unless im just farming. One thing you might want to do is just use a ramdisk, that choke is it loading assets off the hd, though not nearly as bad as you describe. I have no idea why it does that on linux and not windows, likely something to do with wine's architecture. Even with a ramdisk I get chokes when it goes to load assets on the fly. The wine version seems to make zero difference.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Apr 16, 2014, 1:59:28 AM
I wonder, does it choke even when game files are on an SSD?
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info