Client Performance (Updated June 16)

Very glad to hear this is being actively worked on. Thank you!

Lately I was under the impression that the problem was being compounded rather than addressed (new skill effects, chickens, etc. ;).

I love the artwork and effects in the game. I just wish my computer could handle them.
Several things about client performance that I want to see being implemented and/or worked on:

- Disabling weather effects: This one is a huge offender for a lot of players with decent hardware but nothing great. I remember the time when I would crash everytime I tried to enter Dominus's area due to overload of particles from weather effects. Regardless of "atmosphere", this is an option that should be in the game from the start. Many games have options to tweak all sorts of video-related features; this game is bafflingly low on said options. Weather effects is a huge factor in fps drops.

- Introducing a "low" setting: I'm really surprised this hasn't been done yet but it needs to be done. Players shouldn't have to mess with their config file to achieve the same result. This should be part of video-related features aforementioned.

- Encountering spells/skill effects for the first time: I'm not sure why this is still an issue, but it is an issue for me when an ally or enemy activates a skill for the first time and I get a momentary screen freeze due to the loading of said effects. This is especially noticeable on particle heavy skills like Firestorm or Summon Skeletons and the ilk. Hopefully this also gets worked on the near future as well.

Hopefully there's a way to reduce the flashiness/opacity skills, especially those of the spell variety. This will also improve party play and performance.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
I think the option to disable particle effects, and separately weather effects would go a long way in terms of client performance, especially considering it has been clarified that PoE wont move into a better engine.
Hey Chris,

Talking about text, maybe this is not related to performance but it's interesting to ask anyway, there's any intention to change the color scheme, size or even type of the fonts in the game?

Specially for new players, I feel like they look a little oversized and old looking compared to other games.

At the same time, I wonder if it's not an important thing to make the game feel as it is supposed to feel...
Last edited by Zilleon on Apr 22, 2014, 3:22:59 AM
my computer running an intel i7 with 8GB ram and a gtx570 card really had problems displaying normal game content and in parties frame rates sometimes dropped to unplayable levels. the card had even problems displaying some effects from mictrotransactions of players just standing in town.

after i upgraded my harddisk to an ssd and my gfx card to a gtx780 all is fine. i'm first in new map instances, wheather effects don't bother me and in parties the frame rate rarely drops below 60 fps.

with one exclusion: some guy had the new spiky ground slam - skill combined with "increased area of effect" or something which made my framerate go down to 5 dps.

@hilbert: computational effects destroying hardware is bullshit, if a card can't compute some effects it either overheats which results in the gpu to slow down itself and/or the framerate just drops.

if you have a bad cooling system in your rig which results in the gpu running on the temperature limit all the time you surely can decrease the life expectancy of your graphics card, but thats your rig being crappy and not the game's fault.
Last edited by cronus on Apr 22, 2014, 8:56:56 AM
"
Evil_Kon wrote:
please if this is fixable do something with strongboxes openings. every time when i open one there is huge lag due to loading monsters.
maybe preloa them in moment of entering instance? or after each modification of strongbox?
currently there is no option to defend out of freezing because u cant pop up flask. lags prevents it and ater it ends i am often dead.
That would enable people to use tools to analyze the game process and see what will spawn before triggering the box, it will also allow people to use a similar program and be able to determine if any strong boxes exist within the instance without having to explore at all.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
"
"
Evil_Kon wrote:
please if this is fixable do something with strongboxes openings. every time when i open one there is huge lag due to loading monsters.
maybe preloa them in moment of entering instance? or after each modification of strongbox?
currently there is no option to defend out of freezing because u cant pop up flask. lags prevents it and ater it ends i am often dead.
That would enable people to use tools to analyze the game process and see what will spawn before triggering the box, it will also allow people to use a similar program and be able to determine if any strong boxes exist within the instance without having to explore at all.

im pretty sure that existing maphacks can tell you if map has an corrupted area/strongbox already
So are you guys finally going to fix the issues with the engine when playing on an ATI/AMD based system? 'Cause that has been a plight for me since day 1.
How is the shield block sound effect going? I've been waiting for this since closed beta.
Last edited by henrylo on Apr 22, 2014, 12:10:13 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
"
Evil_Kon wrote:

im pretty sure that existing maphacks can tell you if map has an corrupted area/strongbox already

They've said they're working to remedy that/deliver map/chunk data in segments as you explore instead of all at once the instant you enter a zone.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 23, 2014, 2:52:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info