A mindless and pointless grind and level progression.

"
tormenta wrote:
I hear ya. Since I came to this website, and went into Alpha, I'm sort of a lone wolf figthing many who fight back to protect bullshits and prevent fresh content.

Fight on sister!

"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
The first difficulty is designed so that is requires no grinding. The amount of grinding ramps up with each difficulty so that the final difficulty does require a substantial amount of grinding.
Forum Sheriff
Grinding is not my issue... I didn't explain it well enough... Pointless grinding is my issue. I tried to explain it a little bit with my liking of D2's style, but not enough (otherwise my post would be three pages long). Killing monsters is fun, hence why we are here and look forward to this amazing (so far) APRG. It's fun to kill monsters in a good APRG and you get to do it over, and over, and over, and over. That's a grind, but it's a fun grind. You're constantly getting hundreds of drops and some of them are rare. You're constantly getting different enemies, unique monsters and have to use a wide array of skills (or sometimes even a few). It's fun, it's fast paced and there are tons of rewards. Towards the higher levels of D2, I cared less about getting those extra levels... they were sort of a bonus. It was just fun to play. I am just hoping that POE will achieve same addictive success (and I'm sure it will... so far looks like GGG is on the right track). A great community also helps a lot, and so far looks like this community is coming around nicely.

I mean... by now everyone has probably tried Dungeon Siege 3 and saw how much of a failure that game is. I got through first few hours and uninstalled it. It's an ARPG with shitty loot and design... not to mention... graphics? I expected better (I think they went backwards lol). One thing can brake an ARPG right away is the loot... and... yeah, Dungeon Siege 3 has what? Oh yeah, lots of crap. Doesn't even feel like you're getting something cool.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
Last edited by bkboggy on Jul 20, 2011, 10:53:15 PM
Ya, Dungeon Siege 2 was cool. I loved starting out as a POW it was neat having to fight for your freedom.
Yes good sir, I enjoy slaying mythical creatures.
And I've noticed how everybody is praising Titan Quest.... why? The loot was attainable anywhere in the game. You can get the same rare item without having to advance within the game... just grind enough. That's a big no-no. Some poor design choices like that can lead to a disaster. Loot should be scalable.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
"
And I've noticed how everybody is praising Titan Quest.... why? The loot was attainable anywhere in the game. You can get the same rare item without having to advance within the game... just grind enough. That's a big no-no. Some poor design choices like that can lead to a disaster. Loot should be scalable.

Not entirely true. Some interesting items would/could drop anywhere in the game but your chances were higher on the bosses. But that's part of the fun of the non-pointless grind, you may pick up something cool on your way to the boss. I wouldn't say it detracted from the game any. TQ/TQ:IT is still my favourite ARPG to date.
Well, I'm all for getting something nice from a simple mob.... But there should be a scale of what you get as you progress. In Titan Quest you could get same trash as a level 1 or same badass gear as later on in the game.
"
bkboggy wrote:
Well, I'm all for getting something nice from a simple mob.... But there should be a scale of what you get as you progress. In Titan Quest you could get same trash as a level 1 or same badass gear as later on in the game.

Isn't the whole point of this game. Grind away and hope you get some uber drop? Rare as it maybe, at least it's possible and knowing that helps drive you on during your grind. After all not all good loot should belong to the bosses ;)

I loved both the D2 & TQ series
"
Xorsist wrote:
"
bkboggy wrote:

Isn't the whole point of this game. Grind away and hope you get some uber drop? Rare as it maybe, at least it's possible and knowing that helps drive you on during your grind. After all not all good loot should belong to the bosses ;)

I loved both the D2 & TQ series

My post you quoted is the reply to your question.
"
You can get the same rare item without having to advance within the game... just grind enough.

Hmm?

Titan Quest had plenty of items that dropped only in later acts/difficulties. And monster infrequent were unique only to monsters that used those items.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info