[1.2.0] Rampage/Beyond - Exiled Fiery Dragons (self-found / newbie friendly / hc tested)

I'm in act 3 merciless with 473 armour. Should I be worried? I'm about to buy a chest armour with over 600 armour. Is 473 too low atm?
Doesn't matter much, you just need HP and resists to stay alive, not really within budget to build on more tankiness besides some auras and AA.
"
dirkw83 wrote:
Going great with this build... I found a crap wand, but one with among some stuff +projectile speed, so I use blind now instead of faster projectiles and it is crazy how strong that support gem is, since everything gets blinded all the time, even with blind level 1. The survivability totems get from it is crazy, much superior to most any totem improvement node.

Few days ago I got a 5 link for few chaos to get things going towards 70 a bit, first time I use faster casting gem, but I should have done that a lot earlier. That gem give great dps boost, also makes totem placement much faster. Didn't know it was so good before.

Still I am using goldrim helmet and with max resist and reasonable life I never get in much danger. Piety in Merciless is almost a joke, I hide behind the pillar and the totems killer her below 2 minutes. And now that corrupted areas have been nerfed, it's cakewalk to get great rewards from there too. Almost Level 67 now and I will start for first time ever mapping soon. It is a very strong build :) Thanks again men.

Yeah blind is amazing for phys resistance... kinda like having high evasion and dodge. XD
Goldrim is a great super cheap unique to help with resistances.

You're welcome, glad it's doing good for you! Have fun!
GoranH.

"
Ichigo_333 wrote:
ok so im currently lvl 65 bout to clear out the first part of vaal ruins couple of questions whats a safe lvl to start doing corrupted areas? and 2 i have 1ex 11chaos atm what should be some pieces to help me ease in maps iv never made it this far before would like to know a good way to go thx in advance =]

Depends on the corrupted areas and their mods... You can do ones of the same level at any time, but lets say you see ( 4 Additional Projectiles and -max res on area with let's say Haviri Metalsmith)... you pretty much don't do it. So have a good knowledge of each invasion boss of the area, there's a wiki, and mods... if you're a new player play in maps a bit with party to get the hang of it.

As for the cash... you really don't need anything special... if you don't have one, get a 5L... after that see that you get a decent wand/shield, preferably with Spelldmg/projectile speed/mana regen/cast speed in that order of importance, spelldmg/cast speed being ones that are dmg dealers. For shield, you can roll spell dmg and I believe mana regen there as well, not sure, think it's on ES shields? Spend on those 15 chaos, while spending most on the wand.

Then if you care about survivability, try getting a hold on Cloak of Defiance... yes that might mean you will be using a 4L but it is an amazing item. Whatever you feel like you should focus on... maybe even get the Three Dragons helmet, which will help you clear regular mob packs quite faster, since ignite is irrelevant for our build, and once dmg gets high, that helms works great for clearing.
[1.1.0] Invasion/Ambush - Exiled Fiery Dragons (self-found / newbie friendly / invasion tested)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/816814
"
Tom1989 wrote:
respect!

Thanks! Keep having fun!
GoranH

"
Sagara2001 wrote:
Hi GoranH, thank you so much for a fun and friendly build.

Could you please advise on when we should use the Elemental Equilibrium keystone. At the moment, Flame Totems are the only spell I'm casting. Thank you.

I don't at any point recommend picking up El. Equilibrium in this guide. Things like RF and Searing are a no brainer... because they can't hit. But with attacks that hit, it becomes a chore... You can make a trap setup with ice nova, or a totem with it, but for me that'd be tedious.

If you search for more offense, apart from the usual... may I suggest getting a deodre's ring? Flammability and El. Weakness is along the lines of -100% fire res from the get go, which is like pouring gasolines on the poor bastards, even the fire resistant ones won't like it.

"
Hectrix wrote:
this build sure fries mobs good
OP is really friendly

Thanks!

"
jmbawagan wrote:
Hi GoranH,

I don't know if this was asked before, but what do you think about including the Cloak of Defiance chest to this build?

Thanks and nice build!

I didn't include it in the main page as I wanted to keep it very low budget, self-found really. But yeah as people suggested MoM route... I really didn't like the stretch I'd have to make on the tree, so my suggestion was and still is get the cloak. ;)

I got one for testing purposes, and I actually kept it on, it does help increase your effective life pool. Since you really just need clarity, you can make your mana reserve insane, even with discipline it's pretty noticable increase in survivability on occasions that you do get hit, combine that with blind setup... it's fun.
[1.1.0] Invasion/Ambush - Exiled Fiery Dragons (self-found / newbie friendly / invasion tested)
How viable is this build for the two week race?
"
I'm at lvl 58 now. This was my first character past Normal. I just got to Act 3 Merciless, and now I'm stuck. I thought I was doing really well until I hit Act 3, and suddenly it's like I ran into a wall. I just got EB, so I finally have the mana to support my totems and Clarity/Arctic Armor, but now I only have 2k life. I followed the build and have most of the gem combinations. I guess I just can't go anywhere without major upgrades in gear. I've got the currency for it, but I'm too much of a newb to figure out what I need to do.

Maybe this game is just harder than I expected.

I'm kind of disappointed. I figured "newbie friendly" meant that anyone with a general idea of what stats are good on gear could make the right decisions as they progressed and roll on through to the end, but that is definitely not my experience.

Thing is I should link something like "Guide to newcomers to ARPG genre, and PoE".
Now I mean on offense by that, just would be helpful. It's really that I wrote general guidelines, and difficulty guides, acts and enemies/bosses you should be careful about, linked my gear, stats... and I personally didn't have trouble at all with those to pass games regular content. Now... someone as experienced as me in regular story, being that I've beaten it like 30+ times now I could probably beat the story in a hc league even withour investing in any life nodes, regen, survivability etc. purely self-found... Point is this is imo a great build for starters, as it requires you to pay attention to monsters, bosses, mechanics and the mods, and to learn and adapt. It's what makes you a better player. If I gave you 100ex worth of gear in standard, and perfect leveling gear, flasks... it's likely that you'd blaze through the game... but come new leagues without any items, you'd struggle cause you were killing stuff so fast and easy 95% of times you didn't care, and even if you died a few times... it was because you were careless. Like someone can give me RF char with very high spellblock and high fire/light res with legacy gear and I'll most likely take atziri no problem, but see even some invasion players have taken on not regular atziri, but uber atziri and survived. Mechanics... Anyhow, hope the boring talk wasn't mind-killing, point is really I don't think large majority would enjoy if I spelled down everything to a letter for them, guide is already big enough as it is.

If you have particular problem with some area, enemies... just say what and link the gear and I'm sure we'll be able to help. ;)

Have fun!
"
Ichigo_333 wrote:
any ideas as to what i should keep my cast when dmg taken gem at? its at lvl5 atm linked with enduring cry immortal call and molten shell however any suggestions as to what i should change it to would be good

so im lvl 68 with 3840hp capped resists running clarity/discipline/purity with enough regen to support a lvl 13 AA ran my first grotto map last night the only quest i have left is to kill dom merc

any suggestions on how to gear for maps i have a bit of currency should i continue in 66maps? or go back and farm docks?

I did catacombs, but was very careful since it's a closed area... mostly was back in behind throwing totems in front of me. Mostly cause of invaders, though I did that prior to any nerfs, so tension was there for me.

I'd say join in pubs and do 66's, see for yourself the mods... sadly I don't have the time to describe all mods, all combination and their interaction but thing is eventually you'll have to start doing them, as that's the end game. So easy into them, there's the map managment resource thread thingy, with basic info about the maps, bosses, clear speed etc.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/339977

So only thing to watch out for are invaders really. And on 72 and up certain bosses, and in general chaos dealing bosses, really just the weaver and RoA one(s), especially in pubs... as you don't want to be left with a 6-man boss where everyone logged out without notice. Though I assume guys here are more familiar with what they want and don't want to tackle unlike in standard for example. :p

As for gear... apart from regular, I'd suggest you overcap your fire/light, get a dispell frozen flask, and from there try out things like Cloak of Defiance, Three Dragons, Dedore's ring... and most important try and have fun, you might even try to build some MF, could be fun for you. For starters try running merc Merveil.

Regards,
GoranH.

P.S. Forgot CWDT, ummm... I left mine at lvl 3, but see for yourself. I'd recommend trying to see if self-cast enduring + ic in additon to trigged enduring is good for phys mitigation... in addition to adding blind, if you care. Again thinking defensively. If that's too meh. Being that you don't get hit often, higher than 3 should work good too, but don't go over 1k for triggering as that... I wouldn't like that. heh :)
"
Brisk wrote:
I'm in act 3 merciless with 473 armour. Should I be worried? I'm about to buy a chest armour with over 600 armour. Is 473 too low atm?

What dirkw said. Armor is good, but you shouldn't be worried at all. If you can get some armor on gear, it's good if not, nothing to cry about. :)

AA, Life and res take care of the work... cwdt setup too when you get it.

"
How viable is this build for the two week race?

From all the positive feedback I've had, I'd say it's excellent. Invasion tested by many, and on ambush... I don't play ambush, but you should just read up on how dangerous "X" strongboxes are, it's up to you which one you want to open... but the strategy for it, couldn't be better. Perfect, put down to totems... open box, warp out, or smoke mine out... and just watch the 'em burn. Only thing I've heard is really bad are ice nova strongboxes, because of obscene dmg... and it'd freeze totems as well, so even though I haven't tried I'd say avoid those? Invasion bosses, I beat 'em all... and with what I've hard post-nerfs they aren't nowhere near as scary as they were, but still I wouldn't suggest to play carelessly.

All in all, require no funds... is effective and easy to play, and is like one player said... tower defense, ahem totem defense game... of frying general PoE content. :)

Have fun in the race regardless, wish I had more time on my hands.
I'm planning on using "Molten Strike" to level up in the new 2 week league as this is Hillock quest gem would you say it's viable, I had a little play and personally I think it is just wondering if anyone else has tested.
Last edited by Boltonsquad on May 10, 2014, 10:42:44 AM
why take the 3 spell damage nodes above witch, isn't totems only elemental and fire damage?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info