1.1.0 Patch Notes - Sacrifice of the Vaal

does the leech nerf affect only life leech, or both life and mana leech ?

read some posts in a build guide where people say mana leech was screwed. can someone explain this to me please ?
"
dan166 wrote:
does the leech nerf affect only life leech, or both life and mana leech ?

read some posts in a build guide where people say mana leech was screwed. can someone explain this to me please ?

The changes to leech apply to Mana Leech as well. Can be seen very easily on testing with any character.

Essentially, Example:
Your AoE skill (e.g. Groundslam) hits 3 mobs (assume you did 1000 damage and have 10% life leech, 2% Mana Leech). For each mob hit you leech 100 Life and 20 Mana.

Previously, the leech for the 3 mobs would queue behind each other giving you total 300 life and 60 Mana (over how long depends on your max life/mana pool affecting your max leech rate).

Now you leech for 100 Life and 20 Mana, the leech from the other 2 mobs hit simultaneously is disregarded and lost.

If you nerf Life Leech, people lose some effective-Life-over-time, makes them less tanky, but this doesn't outright "break" a build, and can be made up relatively appropriately and intuitively with more leech/bigger single hit/more life/more regen.

With Mana leech, you now still have to spec heavily into Mana regen and probably still have to use Mana pots (which I do not like at all), and unlike life it can "outright break" a build because you can't even attack reliably at all (again affecting whatever you leech further).
Vaal pact change ruined my main char,its ridiculous.Bye Bye PoE,im gonna miss you...till you fix it...i hope at least.
"
doman18 wrote:
I also think that "omg, i cry because i spent so many hours and now my char is shit" is simple teenagers whining. And i dont mind playing weaker chars. Im still sentimental about my flame sentinels + 2 spark totems build even though is not effective as Burning Miscreations build.

But guys, there are complaints here that are somewhat reasonable. IMO burning miscreations lost their all coolness because aura based on health is quite unique not only in scale of the PoE but other games as well. As i wrote in previous posts they could take away Minion DMG passives and gems influenc or even other gems that add ele dmg, leaving only burning dmg and life gem for those monsters aura. Yea it would be painfull and probably cause many problems for players who played burning summoner builds but nevertheless it would be still fun and most importand - reasonable. Now i just dont see anything unique in Burning miscreation above other summoner minions.

The same with Life leeching. This change, that only one leech applies seems to me very ... hmmm ... artificial?

I dont mind nerfs, they balance the game, rise diversity and despite of all whining keep people interested. But i do mind the way some nerfs are being made.

Yeah man,i didnt wanna do that,but Vaak pact change sends me to D3,gotta give it a try...till they fix this.
"
"
wadler wrote:
"
This "The best is the best!" mentality needs to go away. No it's not.
Having the best of everything in any game (including Life's game)
is like eating the same food over and over; you get burned out on it
after a while. There's much more fun in new things and surprise.

I have never been interested in being the best or wanting the best, I am however interested in making meaningful choices, striving for goals and then enjoying the fruits of my labor. The mentality that holds the ugliest intentions are the "I like new things so everyone has to like new things all the time and when I say so", that there speaks volumes on ones inability to understand personal choices and the right to that choice.

That's quite irrelevant to the thread here, but my signature is more of a warning of what happens when people want the best of everything, etc. It's not telling anyone what to do or what they should do. That's their choice. There's a difference.

It seems you don't understand the meaning of my signature. Briefly put, it means when you gain the whole world you lose your soul / your whole self. So having the best of everything is not what it's cracked up to be. Don't take my word for it; look at all the lives of celebrities, etc. whose lives are just as miserable, if not, more miserable than our lives are because they've got everything and have done everything.

The high-ups of society then go on a heavy drinking binge because they've got all the planes, trains, etc. you can think of, have went around the world two or three times, or have served in things like the military in which to them there's nothing new under the sun. (I would know because my grandfather was like that.)

Then there's being the best of everything. If someone were to be the best at everything or at one particular thing in a specific field, where would the fun in competition be when there's no competition?

As far as the part of my signature goes where it says, "There's much more fun in new things and surprise." it means when you've got things to look forward to there's always something for you to do or dream about. Otherwise, what's there to do, look forward to or dream about if you've got everything and have done everything? Nothing. You get bored a lot faster in games and in life itself.

So yes, people can make the choice(s) they want to make, but the "I'm going to get everything and do everything at once" choice has often proved to be a foolish and somewhat regrettable one.

The only way a post can be irrelevant with any writing at all by absolutely anyone is by not posting where anyone can see it e.g. not the internet. I completely understood your sig in it's entirety, just because you have a 1 sided and very slanted view for what ever reasons you think are reasonable really does not mean you are being reasonable at all and in this case, if you ever take a step back, you will notice the words written by you -This "The best is the best!" mentality needs to go away. No it's not.- For you to have not lied at all in your reply about choice and the difference then what you previously had written would have to look more like this -This "The best is the best!" mentality needs tone down a bit, its your time and your choice though.- That there is how you show you are pro choice but what you showed was a how a hypocrite tries to sidestep what has been publicly viewed.

Everyone has a choice, some people have a broader list of choices in a given area but the main point is how you perceive your choices as well as how much of an imagination you have that drives the availability of choices. Any rich person who is not self centered literally has a world of choices, help the sick and dying, community projects, long term goals that are so exciting it's hard to sleep.....the only thing that spoils any choice is how you perceive yourself and the world around you.

The only thing worse than having no choice is having the illusion of one then paying for the privilege of having your choice spoilt. One has no reason for complaint the other has every reason and in all likelihood will not be suffered in silence.

Lastly If I had my way the only play style I would inhibit would be the one that constantly wants to change for the sole purpose of change without there being any dire need for change except in the eyes of people who are deficient in some aspect of their lives that constant change is the only way to avoid dealing with it but that is still a choice if all other aspects are considered and given equal consideration. Without equal consideration of all aspects you quite literally get inequality and imbalance which, by the looks of the forums, is why we are here right now.
Never come between a man and his goals or ambitions because in all things we made choices, changing that makes the choices pointless as well as futile and is there any thinking/non sheep orientated man willing to accept futility as fun?
I'm not trying to be some "teenager crying".

I'm trying to make sense of these changes. The new marauder area is.... terrible. There is no flow between the damage and the HP / Armor portions of the tree.

They outright destroyed the area below the marauder / left of the duelist. They removed the Mace / Life Cluster, and replaced it with Mace / Staff junk.

Which screams:
Maces were too popular. We'll gut them, and this time around Swords > Axes > Maces.

Which means, that the next time, It should be

Axes > Swords > Maces.

The Scion Life Wheel Nerf is atrocious. Those are now THE WORST Life nodes in the tree.

Why is it, that I can go over to the Marauder area, and be saturated in 6% Life / 6% armour Hybrid nodes, but the nodes over by the Scion Tree are just 6% life? That's awful.

Going into this patch, I had some "ideas" about how things were going to be changed. The Hybrid nodes for Swords and Maces outshined the axe nodes. Why? Because it was easy to get hybrid Mace / Sword nodes that came with life. So, I figured that they would probably tweak the Axe NOdes, giving them some Axe / Life Nodes.

Instead, they butchered the whole thing, and now the only 2h'er nodes with Life are Sword Nodes. (or the generic nodes)

The New Marauder Area is just as impassable as the Old Scion Area. It's cluster of mediocre nodes after cluster of mediocre nodes, with little rhyme or reason applied to how many nodes go where, or in what order.

I normally update my Guild's website with all the patch notes, offer commentary, offer as unbiased insight into as possible. I've had the patch notes for a couple of days now, the patch has been live for almost 24 hours, and I just can't bring myself to be objective, and unbiased.

The Patch is an outright nerf to so many things, without any giving to compensate for the nerfs. I feel forced to start over in Ambush. And after my super awesome experience in the very first corrupted area that spawned? I'm just not sure how excited I am.

First Corrupted area. Level 3, right off the coast. I trounce Fire Fury, and think "This can't be that awful right? I'm level 4, it's level 3. Surely, they designed these things with the idea, that within 10 minutes of gameplay, in a brand new league, with no gear, they are going to be somewhat challenging, and completable right? I'm not some nub, I know what I'm doing.

Or so I thought. 40 minutes later, I left the corrupted area, wondering why in the world I beat my head against a boss for so long that was clearly designed not to be fought by a character that was so fresh, and new, in a brand new league.

The Corrupted area was cool. THe boss, was clearly overpowered for being Level 3. I'm fairly confident that I could have handled the Tidal Island Boss, and Fire Fury at the same time, with more ease than that stupid goatman and his totem.

All in all, I'm just not happy with the patch. I'm not happy with the changes to the passive tree. I'm not happy with the nonsensical approach to balance that the tree went through. I'm left feeling like this tree is the worst tree design I've seen since pre-anarchy.

Vaal Gems? Um... I have 2. I'm sure someone will want my Vaal Burning Arrow, and at least early game, the Vaal Molten Shell is absolutely unimpressive based on ramp up time, and "amazingness" of use.

I'm not going to quit, but I'm on the ropes right now, about how hard I'm going to try and push in this. I'm just feeling really let down by the quality of the changes.
Last edited by shoju on Mar 6, 2014, 10:32:31 AM
My freezing pulse build 5k dps wif gmp,crit multiplier 600 ,crit chance 38%, 10k enegry shield cant leech back my Es and mana totaly even use mana leech gem wif 100 mana reg per sec. I wont die at dominus for 8 hours solo run and now.. GG! Reset 4 point from energy shield node and 3crit chance nodes to take vaal pact and still i cant leech back my es OMG. RIP Ci ghost reaver build since ci gr leech es to survive and mana to cast spell but not blood magic and ci cant use hp pot >< SRy for bad english ^^
Last edited by flik7 on Mar 6, 2014, 10:33:00 AM
ihave been levelling scion for crit dagger-life build on my limited play time. but they ruined it. Now making this build with shadow is way more beneficial. i gotta throw away my high level scion now. they shoul have given the chance of changing character instead of just skill reset :( The only upside would be finding another build for scion, but i dont wanna play another build.
I have previously left this game, when the drop rate for maps was atrocious and made playing a waste of time, so I took my time else where :D. The only reason I was playing again was some people came over who liked D3 and I had POE still installed on one of my hard drives some where so I showed them POE. Then I had to run them through POE and during that process I noticed the map drop rates had changed so I continued playing (been back a whole 2 or so months?).

I changed from fireball/minion witch to pure summoner witch based around the burnt miscreants and I enjoyed it. I often thought the damage done was less than a fair few builds I have seen in action but I have never been driven by any need to be the best and so was fine with that, it did suit my casual demeanor as well as my lack of competitive goals.

Meh- run out of fun and only has annoyance left.

-edit- P.s. I would not be surprised if they need the press coverage of an uproar and have engineered a way to get that. It is entirely possible and fits with the way updates have been handled.
Never come between a man and his goals or ambitions because in all things we made choices, changing that makes the choices pointless as well as futile and is there any thinking/non sheep orientated man willing to accept futility as fun?
Last edited by wadler on Mar 6, 2014, 11:19:21 AM
Legacy builds for Standard would have been a cool idea to circumvent this /emotree situation. Let people have the option of leaving their current build/tree as is (if you aren't done leveling I would say just lock out regrets permanently and let them add their points *very carefully*). Would have created some very powerful characters going forward but also some fun variation and a feeling of being able to retain all that hard work you put in to make that powerful char.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info