1.1.0 Patch Notes - Sacrifice of the Vaal

Pardon my late reply.

Wadler quotes HeavyMetalGear:

Wadler quotes HeavyMetalGear
HeavyMetalGear wrote,
"This "The best is the best!" mentality needs to go away. No it's not.
Having the best of everything in any game (including Life's game)
is like eating the same food over and over; you get burned out on it
after a while. There's much more fun in new things and surprise."

Wadler wrote:
"I have never been interested in being the best or wanting the best, I am however interested in making meaningful choices, striving for goals and then enjoying the fruits of my labor. The mentality that holds the ugliest intentions are the "I like new things so everyone has to like new things all the time and when I say so", that there speaks volumes on ones inability to understand personal choices and the right to that choice."

HeavyMetalGear replied:
"That's quite irrelevant to the thread here, but my signature is more of a warning of what happens when people want the best of everything, etc. It's not telling anyone what to do or what they should do. That's their choice. There's a difference.

It seems you don't understand the meaning of my signature. Briefly put, it means when you gain the whole world you lose your soul / your whole self. So having the best of everything is not what it's cracked up to be. Don't take my word for it; look at all the lives of celebrities, etc. whose lives are just as miserable, if not, more miserable than our lives are because they've got everything and have done everything.

The high-ups of society then go on a heavy drinking binge because they've got all the planes, trains, etc. you can think of, have went around the world two or three times, or have served in things like the military in which to them there's nothing new under the sun. (I would know because my grandfather was like that.)

Then there's being the best of everything. If someone were to be the best at everything or at one particular thing in a specific field, where would the fun in competition be when there's no competition?

As far as the part of my signature goes where it says, "There's much more fun in new things and surprise." it means when you've got things to look forward to there's always something for you to do or dream about. Otherwise, what's there to do, look forward to or dream about if you've got everything and have done everything? Nothing. You get bored a lot faster in games and in life itself.

So yes, people can make the choice(s) they want to make, but the "I'm going to get everything and do everything at once" choice has often proved to be a foolish and somewhat regrettable one."

"
wadler wrote:
The only way a post can be irrelevant with any writing at all by absolutely anyone is by not posting where anyone can see it e.g. not the internet.

While I understand where you're coming from, what I meant in what I said was you could have sent me a PM instead of challenging my signature here. That being said, since you want to discuss it here, so be it.

"
wadler wrote:
I completely understood your sig in it's entirety, just because you have a 1 sided and very slanted view for what ever reasons you think are reasonable really does not mean you are being reasonable at all and in this case, if you ever take a step back, you will notice the words written by you -This "The best is the best!" mentality needs to go away. No it's not.- For you to have not lied at all in your reply about choice and the difference then what you previously had written would have to look more like this -This "The best is the best!" mentality needs tone down a bit, its your time and your choice though.- That there is how you show you are pro choice but what you showed was a how a hypocrite tries to sidestep what has been publicly viewed.

I'm not sidestepping / avoiding anything --- I am directly discussing this with you --- but since you like to get a rise out of people it seems, I'll make things a little clearer by starting with the fact I am open-minded about what choices people make, but just because I give a message of warning in my signature does not mean it means what you think it means, and does not mean it means what you want it to mean.

Your distorted interpretation of my signature is bad as my said slanted view in what's being said in my signature. My signature is not based entirely on what I think alone; it is based off living vicariously through others in some way, shape or form, and private conversations I've had with very successful people I encountered throughout my life who were either in the military for an extensive amount of time, owned their own business(es), very wealthy, and who were / have done... a lot of things (good and bad / very good, and very bad.)

So if you really understand my signature you would know there's a difference between a message of warning and a message that forces something down someone's throat.

Furthermore, why should I word something in such way with the possible potential to appease everyone? Wouldn't that be pretentious vs. saying what's really on my mind for viable reasons?

Then again, it should go without saying no matter how true the words or a phrase, there is always going to be someone who says something about it. I am not saying my signature applies to or can be understood by everyone, but that more than not through my first-hand experiences, my signature rings true, that which was not arrived at through my thinking alone.

"
wadler wrote:
Everyone has a choice, some people have a broader list of choices in a given area but the main point is how you perceive your choices as well as how much of an imagination you have that drives the availability of choices. Any rich person who is not self centered literally has a world of choices, help the sick and dying, community projects, long term goals that are so exciting it's hard to sleep.....the only thing that spoils any choice is how you perceive yourself and the world around you.

Your response in the above stated has merit, but someone doesn't have to be self-centered (as your put it) to get bored of this world. No matter if you're helping many other people you can help much as possible, buying all the things you can buy, doing all the things you can do, etc. there does come a point in that too much of anything can be / is bad, including but not limited to, what you like and like to do.

"
wadler wrote:
The only thing worse than having no choice is having the illusion of one then paying for the privilege of having your choice spoilt. One has no reason for complaint the other has every reason and in all likelihood will not be suffered in silence.

You're missing the point. Whether in games or life itself, my signature points out in an inadvertent way, "It's up to you if you want to exhaust everything at once, but be warned there are consequences attached via boredom / lack of interest in things that can get to you slowly."

Sorry to get a little poetic here, but here's an excerpted quatrain I wrote in a poem (inspired by the people I've talked with throughout my life to which I could relate)

"O' what fine taste prosperity has!
Drink it too much you lose your pizazz.
Yet for the poor man in need and in dearth,
Imagination comes ripe and thumps the earth!"

In a nutshell, I've found that people who are very successful slowly lose their drive to innovate, create, etc. like before they became successful because to them they've already made it big, so why bother going through the rat race more than they have to? Therefore, my signature is a means of inspiring these people to preserve a little something to look forward to by thinking twice about exhausting too many things at once.

I'll even go as far to say most of the absurdities you see in most of today's commercials and movies, and insulting-your-intelligence inventions is greatly due to boredom / is due to doing and creating too much at once.

Slowly and surely we're running out of ideas. Even the producers of the last 007 movie (Skyfall) said something around the lines of, "We didn't really add any new special gadgetry like in the other 007's because we're living in a time where everything's been thought via computers, flying cars, hats with razor sharp edges on the brim for a weapon, etc."

Moviegoers and reviewers then complained about the lack of creativity in that movie since for the longest time all the 007 movies had some kind of new technology in them to show off.

SO when one of the most imaginative movies like 007 (among other movies in Hollywood) start running out of ideas, you know something is going awry in the field of brainstorming.

"
wadler wrote:
Lastly If I had my way the only play style I would inhibit would be the one that constantly wants to change for the sole purpose of change without there being any dire need for change except in the eyes of people who are deficient in some aspect of their lives that constant change is the only way to avoid dealing with it but that is still a choice if all other aspects are considered and given equal consideration. Without equal consideration of all aspects you quite literally get inequality and imbalance which, by the looks of the forums, is why we are here right now.

I'm not saying change is a bad thing. I want change too and embrace it so things stay fresh. However, there comes a point (as I said) where things get repetitive in which change doesn't always come in such new ways. For lack of better example, it's like the good guy vs. bad guy scenario: in books, games, movies, etc. that has been (for the most part) the focal point and point of interest to viewers since the dawn of Mankind.

Has it changed? No. Has the same thing been reworked millions of times? (among other things) Definitely. Change is great, but for some people who have done and seen everything they could possibly do or see in their life, there's not much that's new under the sun for them until newborn societies experience the same cyclical thing(s) they experienced.

While to you these people's view I've actually listened to in many open conversations may seem negative to you, there is reason behind the way they look at things the way they do, and oftentimes it's hard to understand unless 1. you've experience it yourself like they have or 2. you're open-minded toward where they're coming from, and ultimately, where my signature comes from.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Mar 7, 2014, 11:23:57 PM
How about focussing primarily on new content without constantly whipping the skill tree around and making drastic changes to core mechanics as if this game was still in beta.

Wait...I get it, the full release last fall was a lie.
Why i can see some Saffell's Frame with 100 - 120% spell block yet? This shield was nerfed to 70-80 spell block, isn't it? Have now all the Saffell's Frame in the game 70-80 spell block or only the new dropped and the Saffel's Frame already existing before the patch have 100-120 spell block?
The same question is for the 4/2% of energy shield replenshis of the Aegis Aurora.
Thanks
thx chris u guys from ggg made me quit this game. not even possible to play my ranger with a 4l split arrow without running out of mana all the time.
As a casual player this is the first time I've ever had to post on a game forum and been this angry at a patch. After spending at least 200hrs of playtime to develop a claw CI reave build, that certainly does not have godly gear, this patch has destroyed my character. I can't see any point in putting any more time into the game if I'm going to spend my valuable hours developing a new character for Chris and his pals to then turn around a few months later and nerf the hell out of it.

What's most disheartening is that this patch least affects the hardcore gamers who have 30k+ dps, as this easily mitigates the 60% drop in Vaal pact, it's the casual gamers who have been impacted the most and makes the requirements for mapping even higher than they already were.
"
builderbob wrote:
As a casual player this is the first time I've ever had to post on a game forum and been this angry at a patch. After spending at least 200hrs of playtime to develop a claw CI reave build, that certainly does not have godly gear, this patch has destroyed my character. I can't see any point in putting any more time into the game if I'm going to spend my valuable hours developing a new character for Chris and his pals to then turn around a few months later and nerf the hell out of it.

What's most disheartening is that this patch least affects the hardcore gamers who have 30k+ dps, as this easily mitigates the 60% drop in Vaal pact, it's the casual gamers who have been impacted the most and makes the requirements for mapping even higher than they already were.

+1
"
dan166 wrote:
"
builderbob wrote:

+1

+1,000,000

getting clearer and clearer that GGG caters solely to the elite group of supporters/gamers and disregard everyone else. couldn't fathom why they cant make changes that will appeal to a wider spectrum of players and reap the benefits of having standard and hardcore leagues.

anyways, it's GGG's call if they want to carve themselves out as a niche hardcore only game where major changes happen faster than you can adapt to the last change and i just hope this group of elite supporters will continue to contribute to GGG's coffers and that it will be enough to sustain the game's existence.
"
builderbob wrote:

That is very well said, in my opinion.

I play evenings and weekends for fun and other than a multistrike and a life leech gem use all self-found gear and gems.

I am very disappointed that there is no new content that leads to significant experience gain for my character. As it stands I have no desire to start developing a third character. My first was my learning experience, my second was my main, and I was going to develop a third alt but right now... not worth it.
"
trhoffendjr wrote:
"
builderbob wrote:

That is very well said, in my opinion.

I play evenings and weekends for fun and other than a multistrike and a life leech gem use all self-found gear and gems.

I am very disappointed that there is no new content that leads to significant experience gain for my character. As it stands I have no desire to start developing a third character. My first was my learning experience, my second was my main, and I was going to develop a third alt but right now... not worth it.

well lets hope blizzard learned from their mistakes because im really not happy with the changes of how leech is being applied in poe now and this makes me think about buying the d3 expansion
Just dropped by to say, that you (GGG) have really fucked it up with the life leech change.
Thats the only reason I login here, right now, even though my opinion on its own will not change anything, i hope the opinions of many will do.
I dont know what you ve had in mind , or what your thoughts have been, but it is a kind of change, where I ask myself: have they been drunk , while working out that *piep*?

Now tell me :
What is the very important reason -(besides alcohol:D)- for that absolut nerving, many builds destroying, and for the rest making the game even harder, change?

If I fight ANY kind of oponent/s with any kind of DOT and come into a situation where I need to get out of BIG trouble, run away and with that stop leaching at that moment, well yeah I m fkd and if i want to return I m even weaker then before if that DOT or AOE-DOT has lowered my life meanwile even more. Or if one plays ranger as I do, whichs biggest advantage was distance and where i could run away a bit to recover If I needed to, I have now some kind of fkd up nerved Vaal Pact and need to constant dps to stay alive. wth is wrong with you?
My char has rly good gear and ...with the old LL it was partially very hard(maps n stuff) but now?

Cmon get sober GGG and change that back to the way it has been before cause this sucks.
Its like: the moment I stop dps ...the moment my life bubble stands still. hello?

Last edited by Purity777 on Mar 7, 2014, 4:37:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info