Ele wander post 1.0

For up to date gear and build, please see http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/950155

The ele wander was always a tough one to gear.
1.0 hit wanders really hard.

Or did it?

I had linked a VoD of me using a white wand bought from Nessa in A1N and not a single crit node. But Twitch deleted the VoD.

Build ever changing.

Gear at the moment
Spoiler

Still a lot of tuning to do, crit wand, up life on gear, crit and life to take in tree, but currently a lvl 88 build so points are few left. I think the life can be pushed to 5.5k

This character was an old, shelved beta wander who went through the melee -> ~50+ then transitioned. I'm pretty sure with the aura nodes near Templar, that the ele wander can be played from very early on now, even in a fresh league by simply following this build route and taking everything as you come to it.

The build basically uses the power of auras and boosts it significantly, at first ignoring crit other than power charges, giving good even damage without having to rely on crits when crit chance would be low while levelling and/or without a crit wand. Crit nodes and good crit wand, while powerful, can be left until late and you really feel you are getting something for those later points in the 90's.

As a fun aside, I tried this build using Kaom's Heart with GMP in Thunderfists.
It was surprisingly viable, the damage of GMP dropped significantly, but it was funny to see the entire screen being triple shock stacked rather than instantly blowing up.
There was a possible fair exchange of dps for life but it showed to have a far too inconsistent leech rate with low crit and low dps, more so with the loss of accuracy. I will try it again once 75% crit is achieved. Wander in Kaom's was just so funny ;).

Update.
Comparisons with the new unique torndado, Piscator's Vigil.
I had a quick loan of a bad rolled Piscator's.
I'd recently down-levelled my Add Acc gem with a Vaal so only 19/20 Add Acc used.

White Imbued
GMP dps 3089.4
GMP crit chance 44.3
Single dps 17659.7
Single crit chance 41.1

GMP dps 4684.7
GMP crit chance 53.6
Single dps 26504.3
Single crit chance 49.8

Piscator's Vigil
CSC 10.45%
APS 1.47
13% Increased Attack Speed
+395 to Accuracy Rating
25% Increased Critical Strike Chance
Attacks with this weapon have 101% increased elemental damage

GMP dps 4380.6
GMP crit chance 57.4
Single dps 29219.8
Single crit chance 53.7

The single target damage was improved nicely and would be more so with a good rolled Piscator's.
The GMP was less, due to the loss of crit multi from the imbued while not using crit multi gem as the single does. This build doesn't stack crit multi much and hasn't finalised crit chance yet.

The combat, however, was much smoother, the increased crit chance with the Piscator's did appear to actually give more dps with GMP even though less on tool-tip, shocking FTW.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jun 28, 2014, 8:13:44 AM
Why skip out on arching blows if the bulk of your damage comes from lightning?
Last edited by Jenson on Jan 24, 2014, 8:58:22 PM
"
Jenson wrote:
Why skip out on arching blows if the bulk of your damage comes from lightning?

I'm not skipping it, I haven't gotten to it.

That said, I'm not sure if it will ever get taken.
The next 2 or even 3 points from the build point linked in OP will be life.
The next 5 will be crit.
We are at lvl 95 or 96 then.
That would be (with a crit wand and maxed life/str gear) ~ 5.5k life and 75%+ crit.
Arcing blows is 2 points, I think 16% aura buff might be a better spend of those, if you were going to.

And that said, I expect that once crit nodes are taken, I should be able to pull out of mana and mana regen. I recall on my old ele wander having regen to cover spamming AoE but once you reach a certain dps, you can afford to oom nearly every attack without the regen to sustain, as you 1 shot screens and are on the move constantly, which works with far lower mana regeneration.

I think I can pull out of mana Geyser 2 points then.

Casually casual.

How would you say this compares to a physical wander build?

Edit : Just watching your "Phys Wander fun. Solo, self found, standard." video. Do you have a guide to this?
Mark_GGG 2012
If you put on your full plate mail, and I throw hundreds of toothpicks at you, you'll basically not feel it.

If someone catapults a whole tree at you, don't expect the Armour to prevent as much of the damage.
Last edited by Auxion on Jan 25, 2014, 6:21:33 PM
"
Auxion wrote:
How would you say this compares to a physical wander build?

Edit : Just watching your "Phys Wander fun. Solo, self found, standard." video. Do you have a guide to this?

Several comparisons/differences between CI phys and Life ele.

The CI phys wander is capable of doing a lot more damage, relies heavily on a good phys wand and good gear. You could say she is very expensive. Can have a very nice ES as EHP and augment with a little armour, a lot of evasion and block. With the awesome of phys wander dps comes the risk of 1 shotting oneself and getting overcome with stuns and status ailments. Such it can require good flask use and selective gem and aura use for map mods. The phys wander profits immensely from groups. Being limited in auras, they can be difficult to solo but shine in a group to a massive degree.

The life ele wander is cheap, very cheap. While still achieving nice dps, they won't get anywhere near a phys wander. While a GG wand will help immensely, as the vod in OP shows, it isn't an absolute necessity. Ele wander can run many auras and thus be self sustaining for solo play and benefit a lot less from groups, but will always be starved of life pool and accuracy. Thus the main focus on ele wander gear is as much life and accuracy as possible.

My phys wander was originally pretty much based on Aux's witch with a few personal changes and a few suggested by Hegemony, pre 1.0.

When 1.0 landed she was shelved. Until I found an Auxium belt, which prompted me to play her again. I got her to work with a similar skill tree but with a few aura nodes, using Alpha's Howl instead of a hubris, benefiting from the ev on the helm and running 3 auras. I'm currently, slowly respeccing her more to Hegemony's Batman with my own preferences as slight differences. But this will be a long process, self found.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jan 26, 2014, 1:48:35 PM
thanks for solving some of my issues.

how many auras do u run and what are they? with Alpha's howl, i think 4 of 60% auras at most and clarity on life? and how big is your mana pool?
"
madmatt3984 wrote:
thanks for solving some of my issues.

how many auras do u run and what are they? with Alpha's howl, i think 4 of 60% auras at most and clarity on life? and how big is your mana pool?

With Prism Guardian I used to run 6 or 7, 1 or 2 on life.
I decided it was overkill and a better shield would be a kite with life.
Getting a kite with some ES affixes meant all 5 auras could go on mana and have enough regen.
They always could fit, but the remaining pool and regen wasn't great.

1882 without discipline.
3507 with discipline.
3247 reserved, 260 remaining with discipline, clarity, anger, wrath and grace.
Mana regen is 210.4 (with no % mana regen mods on gear) which is more than enough.
I can fire off 14 or 15 GMPs stood still before firing a blank, which is more than enough.
I've had my mana pool up to 4k but it is complete overkill to be able to sustain GMP indefinitely, you will never need to, and it still won't let you be viable with GMP in half recovery maps without mana leech.
For half recovery maps, I simply swap in LMP. For no regen I swap Add Acc for Mana leech.

As I said earlier, with more crit, I'll eventually be reducing my mana pool and regen further as sustaining becomes even less important.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jan 27, 2014, 12:01:38 PM
Aaaand what about elemental reflect and no VP and no block nodes? :E
Yes, I see (you mention it) you tryng to transition to batman build (block nodes instead of VP), but it whould require you to have level 100 character, unless you drop something, and I hardly see what you can drop, not much HP already.

On the other hand, you can always re-roll map, as solo player :P or probably I miss something.
IGN: MsAnnoyance
Was going try something similar to this build but was going to up mana regen enough to sustain AA to help mitigate some reflect damage and boost defense.

I'm poor still so may be a while before I can gear for something serious like this build.
"
qquno wrote:
Aaaand what about elemental reflect and no VP and no block nodes? :E
Yes, I see (you mention it) you tryng to transition to batman build (block nodes instead of VP), but it whould require you to have level 100 character, unless you drop something, and I hardly see what you can drop, not much HP already.

On the other hand, you can always re-roll map, as solo player :P or probably I miss something.

Well, miss something kinda. You are confusing 2 different characters/builds.

The ele wander is fine with reflect using GMP.
I actually went into an unid and didn't check. I found out on the first pack it was -max ele reflect. It was actually -25 max. I cleared the map without using ele flasks with only 4.7k life. By throwing a GMP into a pack and backing off to take no extra damage and letting my leech recover. A crit wasn't enough to kill me outright. Now, with hindsight, I'd have replaced WED with LoH. The build has a quite low crit multiplier and at the moment low crit chance (for a wander) but even when finished and at 75% crit (still with a low multiplier) and 5.5k life, I don't see any problems arising from ele reflect even with -max with the tools available (LoH replacing WED and purity of auras at your disposal).
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jan 27, 2014, 9:12:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info