Mace/Shield LS Templar with Video and writeup(Written for New Players)

"
DJSRP wrote:
"
Velr wrote:
If i'm not mistaken sword is not that nice because:
1. The Swordbonus is +Accuracy while Mace grant +Elemental --> Lightning Strike and Tempest Shield are Elemental.

2. You can get the passive for 100% Accuracy/No Crits really easy as Templar whcih makes the Accuracy bonus swords grant not that interesting.
2.1 This passive is also right next to a big ass Mace cluster and close to 2 of the best Shield clusters.
2.2 This same Node is close to the Marauder starting Area which has tons of HP/Reg.

3. Maces are cool!

Can see many mace nodes next to RT, but none of them grands +elemental dmg. Just the galvanic hammer, but this one is way up high from RT. Which one do you mean buddy?

Lightning Strike transforms your Phys-Damage into Elemental DMG.

So +% Physdamage = +% LS DMG.
Dont know guys.. i was 1h mace to lvl 34 now i found a sword tht need 103dex, i got it (+40 from items) and the sword 1.93atack speed make my life so much easier.im 2x stronger.... now im considering go swords instead maces... just dunno if 130 from nodes +144 default +items will me enought to equip em! :)
"
DJSRP wrote:
Thanks for your reply(s) Healthy. I think I will give your initial build a go, with a few modifications.

I came up with a few changes, which take Eldrich Battery in consideration:

Complete build

I really like the complete build. But the big question for me is, which nodes to take first (lvl 20-50) and past lvl 50. Because Mana will be a problem at the beginning I guess - while defense/armor/life won't be too important in normal and even beginning of merciless mode.

What do you think of it? I thought your build wasted a bit too many nodes within the connection of the Templar and Marauder tree part. Those Str, Dex and Int nodes in the middle arent too necessary I think. But on the Marauder tree are some nice +%phys dmg nodes aswell as +%life nodes. Plus I didnt take the "Body and Soul" nodes, because the +%ES would be not very helpful when going with EB I guess. So those 6 points are still available. Also avoided some of the "Bulward" and "Fitness" nodes.

As an Alternative for going all the way up to Eldrich Battery you could also go for Iron Grip, which should give LS (as its partly a projectile skill) a fair dmg boost.

Tell me what you think of it guys :)

From my understanding you need take the +E.Shield recharge nodes that are a little below EB to make it effective, i would drop the health and all the nodes you took on the top left and use the route slighty below the one you used to get to EB which is less points and pick up the +health and +ES recharge and max es nodes that are clustered together. Also remember that 104 point build means you need to hit max level, which 80+ Take FOREVER per level, should really try for a build that is using 84 or so points.

*Edited with a visual*
This is a modified version of Krips wand build, but it shows the template for what you would need for EB, the remaining points would be used to pick up whatever weapon choice your going for.
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEBwSzBVsHYwj0DkgRlhRNFm8YXRmFGjgabB8CJDwkqiepKU8tHzGIMok2xTbpO-FG10k7TLNN2FXGVytX4lptXcZgbWe9bRlyfnNTd-V5A35Zf8aBb4IegziLeouMjHaPRpBVm6GdgJ2unjyiAKKjpwinK6c0p1ynhKlowFTB889l0NDYJNrd2wvd8-Fz4vfjauOE5CLsOO0g7m_wH_DZ
Last edited by Gixxerdude on Jan 29, 2013, 11:43:38 PM
Hi, I'm new to PoE but have been reading alot of forums lately and seeing alot of hype about Lightning Strike (LS). My question is why all the hype? Is it because it is one of the few effective strength AoE skills or the fact that it can benefit from both physical damage increase and elemental damage increase. If its because it benefits from both physical/elemental dmg increase, it seems tedious to build around this skill. Elemental dmg increase would only be half as effective as going pure physical dmg increase since only 50% of the dmg is elemental. So assuming leveling all the Mace/physical damage nodes, wouldn't this be more effective than taking some physical and some elemental damage nodes? And i believe there isn't enough skill points to take all physical/mace/elemental skill nodes (which would make this skill truly OP!). So could someone please explain? Thanks in advance!
I believe the idea is that once the physical damage is converted to lightning it starts gaining all your passive skill bonuses to lightning and elemental damage, making physical damage bonuses even more effective. Another factor is that pure physical damage bonus nodes (even for mace specifically) are somewhat spread out around the passive tree, and picking up lightning/elemental damage ends up with higher output than just going for physical passives. Basically the more of one damage bonus you have, the better it makes the other is what I'm seeing with the build.
"
Haven't been able to play as much as I'd like to... but here's my gear at 42:

Going through A2 cruel fairly comfortably with this setup. It's important to remember to keep upgrading your armor and shields as you level, especially as you advance in acts in cruel and merciless. That 100-200 extra armor on each piece of gear really adds up. Also resistances! I see too many people neglecting resistances. I was maxed at 80% through Act 1 cruel and merivelle was cake. But dropped down a little with new gear and still doing OK, but noticing elemental damage hurting more for sure.

I too would like to know why you opt for armor gear instead of armor/ES?
When do you get wrath?
Melee without unwavering stance seems meh to me anyone else?
"
Aziah wrote:
unwavering stance

Sorry for a newbie question, but whats that? :)
You give up your evades to never be stunned. Its down below mara. starting area
Last edited by Aziah on Jan 30, 2013, 10:42:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info