1.0.5b Patch Notes and Other News

I'd still like to see the skill gem diversity stats of the week race and leagues.
You've got too many rabid fans Chris - anything you say can and will mean "omg poe expansion". Look after yourself. It will be great to see what the team has been up to.
"
Qarl wrote:

Its not 14 builds, but 14 templates for builds with variations in them, viable for high level mapping, in a hardcore league with what has probably been the most limiting mods. I think people undervalue how much the increased attack/cast and move speed made the league harder, and more limited in options.

It is also the potential of the skilldrasil, skills and supports (especially their usability to be used cross class) that makes that difficult.

I'd argue that even put this way, 14 isn't a particularly compelling number, especially considering that a build is made up of choices in class, passive skills, active skills, supports, and Unique Items -- there are just so many potential points for divergence.

It (again) resembles Magic where a lot of cards are Limited and (of course) EDH viable but only a fraction are Constructed-worthy. And maybe that highlights something about the game's difficulty design and more importantly the need to rebalance skills faster than the current rate. *cough Arc/tic Breath*

I will be fair however -- most of us have been around for Open Beta and we do remember how dominant certain stuff like low life Shav's were. It does seem like there are no such overwhelming archetypes this season, so congratulations on that! I'd be interested to know the current number of such templates. I'm guessing it would be a few times the 14 number, which would indeed be quite respectable.

Have you made a cool build using The Coming Calamity? Let me know!
Last edited by ephetat on Jan 21, 2014, 3:56:06 AM
Thanks Qarl, it was really a nice read, hope to see more from you :)
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
Honestly I dont give a damn about act 4 atm. Just add the few Things that are missing in the game atm. (Cutthroat League.)
IT was good while it lasted
"
HegemonyTV wrote:
nice! Aux and I would like to interview Qarl/Rory as well. Its a shame that some people did not enjoy the podcast, but there is no pleasing everyone.

Aux and I do have some strong opinions about some of the areas of the game that may be similiar to your own. We believe that we will be able to provide an informative and level headed view on the game (even if it refers to the builds/abilities we currently use), because we recognize where balance will enhance the "feel" of the game.

Its fine from a design point to have some builds better than others. Its very good when a certain build tackles a particular situation better than others, but becomes inferior with other kinds of situations. This is what good balance is. Not where everyone can clear everything just the same.

When considering builds, you have to take in the risk/reward factors. If i'm sitting vulnerable channeling my spell, i better be damn sure that the spell is very potent as a reward. It fits multiple playstyles where if you want to play safe all the time, or if your APM is up to the task to take on greater feats.

Game development it's never easy. Making a design decision is critical and its usually in the best interest of the game as a whole. Will it upset a few people? Probably, but in the end it will increase the fun factor. Unique builds are refreshing and GGG has to be very careful that they tie into the role they play in PoE. Broken builds while fun to explore, you should NEVER expect them to last or stay that way. I don't see how people expect their builds to remain when they completely negate any of the challenges this game has to offer! Consider yourself lucky to ride the ez train as long as you did. Apologies have been made, no need to dwell on it. The developers learn from their mistakes and thus the game will only get better in the future.

Its important to be objective when addressing all these kinds of issues. That being said, I think its worth hearing the design team out and we could all have a better understanding of how they systematically implement these changes.

I personally stared at that 1week race chart in complete and utter fascination. I love reports like these, it really heightens my understanding of this game. I feel like when people are being narrow minded and don't fully understand the game they see such pictures and QQ. Don't ruin it for all of us. I wanna see more charts like these in 4-month leagues or even permanent leagues! Maybe include more stats like these in some alpha team forum?

Alpha team & PODCAST hype!

-Hegemony

If you two do the interview for Qarl, it may be better if you do a poll or something prior to the interview and get questions from the community. That way there will be no reason for anyone to not be happy.
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
"
"
devillived wrote:
"
Lacceh wrote:
Too late on the CoD fix, the integrity of the game and community has been damaged...
The level 100 exploiters need to be banned or their characters rolled back.

THIS.

This may not be a surprise to many PoE players, but these leagues are ending in a few weeks. The characters and gear consigned to history.

MOST PoE players seem to be above average intelligence and realise that there are no bragging rights for the players that used the CoD minion thing. Most the players who used it will probably realise this also. But I am sure they had fun while it lasted.

Basically, if you didn't use it, you don't care, if you did use it, you shouldn't care(and if you do then possibly consider professional help), so I guess that leaves me with a question.

If the community understands how this works, what integrity has been damaged?

PoE community itself seems alive and well, without pushing a surge in band-aid stocks that I am aware of, so I confidenty assume the community is remarkably UNdamaged.

I wonder how much fanboyism, or, to put it in your words, how little intelligence it requires to take it to a personal level and make a statement like this.

If you seriously think that there was no damage done to the economy in how much currency these exploiters have illicitly produced by grinding easy mode through the hardest content with no risk of dying, then my good Sir, you're beyond delusional.

But whom am I to argue with? Someone who only plays scrubcore and whose highest level character in said league is 77, obviously doesn't have a clue about what's going on within the game.
Last edited by devillived on Jan 22, 2014, 5:53:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info