GGG Post Tracker (To Better Equip You to Stalk the Devs)

OP/author, is there any way for you to update all of the GGG staff who post on Tech Support and Bug Report forums? Or is it possible to create a second webscrape and RSS feed for GGG employee posts on the technical issues within PoE forums?

I'd do this myself, but free hosting often limits cron jobs. The one I tried limits to 5 seconds of run time, which isn't enough for your "scan_posts.cron.php" task. I did everything else just fine, including copying over your GitHub project, creating the MySQL database, and editing the "config.inc.php" file to match my settings, accounts, etc.

I don't really want to pay for hosting just to get a GGG employee feed from Tech Support and Bug Reports. Your 'forum_posters' array doesn't have all of the names of employees who post there.

Specifically it's missing (according to the config.inc.php shown on GitHub) the following. I went through all of September's threads in Bug Reports and Tech Support...

'Alex_GGG',
'Alexcc_GGG',
'Andy',
'CJ_GGG',
'Eben_GGG',
'Emma_GGG',
'Ethan_GGG',
'Fitzy_GGG',
'Hartlin_GGG',
'Jake_GGG',
'Lionel_GGG',
'Melissa_GGG',
'MikeP_GGG',
'Novynn',
'Rachel_GGG',
'Rob_GGG',
'Roman_GGG',
'Sarah_GGG',
'SarahB_GGG',
'Tom_GGG'

You already have...
"
Spoiler
'Ammon_GGG',
'Andrew_GGG',
'Ari',
'Arthur_GGG',
'Bex_GGG',
'Brian_GGG',
'BrianWeissman',
'Cagan_GGG',
'Chris',
'Damien_GGG',
'Dan_GGG',
'Daniel_GGG',
'Dylan',
'Edwin_GGG',
'Erik',
'Gary_GGG',
'GGG_Neon',
'Henry_GGG',
'Jared_GGG',
'Jason_GGG',
'Jess_GGG',
'Joel_GGG',
'Jonathan',
'Kieren_GGG',
'Mark_GGG',
'MaxS',
'Michael_GGG',
'NickK_GGG',
'Qarl',
'Rhys',
'Robbie_GGG',
'RobbieL_GGG',
'Rory',
'Russell',
'Samantha',
'Support',
'Thomas',
'Yeran_GGG'

So, should we have a separate Tech Support/Bug Reports feed, or could we just add the names I found? Thoughts? Thanks!

EDIT: Found a free hosting provider that doesn't limit cron job run times, so I'm testing out with that.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Sep 21, 2016, 2:32:05 PM
O_o

That's pretty interesting and useful thing. You should implement Reddit posts as well since I heard GGG love to post important stuff only on reddit. ._.
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
O_o

That's pretty interesting and useful thing. You should implement Reddit posts as well since I heard GGG love to post important stuff only on reddit. ._.

You can use online automation services such as Zapier and IFTTT to scrape reddit posts by specific users, then dump it anywhere you like (eg: RSS feed, Google Apps, Slack, etc.). you can do this for free.
rz2yoj, I have everything working from your GitHub project on free hosting elsewhere, except for the cron jobs to populate the database.

I have your project in the public root of my new site, with the following cron job ("MySite" is an example for the name of my user/site on the free hosting)...

php -f /home/MySite/public_html/scan_posts.cron.php

This doesn't do anything and no e-mail for errors of it.

Then did this...

php -f /home/MySite/public_html/scan_posts.cron.php > /home/MySite/logs/cron_log.txt

And I do get the cron_log.txt file generated, but nothing in it. I tried an invalid MySql user in my config.inc.php file, and this does indeed generate a fatal error for that log. And with the correct user, nothing. Even tested with /usr/bin/php instead of php, but both seem to at least not throw an error. If I do intentionally misspell the file path an error will be thrown. And if I don't use php and just run the script by itself, it reads the file and spits out errors since it's not trying to use php. Still no population of the database.

I've then tried enabling the secret string to pass it as a parameter to the php file, and set it accordingly in the config.inc.php file. Example...

php -f /home/MySite/public_html/scan_posts.cron.php secret=test

Now with the secret enabled in the example above, I'm getting errors (error for each name I've added in my config.inc.php file...
Spoiler
Indexing posts by Alex_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Alexcc_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Ammon_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Andrew_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Andy...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Ari...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Arthur_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Bex_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Brian_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by BrianWeissman...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Cagan_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Chris...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by CJ_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Damien_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Dan_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Daniel_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Dylan...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Eben_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Edwin_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Emma_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Erik...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Ethan_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Fitzy_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Gary_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by GGG_Neon...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Hartlin_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Henry_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Jake_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Jared_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Jason_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Jess_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Joel_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Jonathan...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Kieren_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Lionel_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Mark_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by MaxS...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Melissa_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Michael_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by MikeP_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by NickK_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Novynn...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Qarl...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Rachel_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Rhys...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Rob_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Robbie_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by RobbieL_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Roman_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Rory...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Russell...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Samantha...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Sarah_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by SarahB_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Support...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Thomas...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Tom_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />Indexing posts by Yeran_GGG...<br />Failure...<br />

And I'm not seeing it populate the database at all. Doing a SELECT * FROM `posts` shows no rows added yet.

What else I've done...

1.) Right now entire project is in my public html directory, and I can visit the site and see any empty GGG Tracker page.

2.) My correct forum session ID is added to the config.inc.php file.

3.) I've set MySecret in the config.inc.php file (not using the local_config file yet).

4.) Database is created with two tables, and column structure is there.

5.) Created my twitter app api, put in the key/secret, and access key/secret in the config.inc.php file. Later I will remove twitter from this once it's working, since don't want that functionality

6.) I've edited the config.inc.php file to include database access (I know it works since inputing an invalid user would cause an error when refreshing the page)

7.) I have added some security and disabled world read/execute on many files (includes, cron jobs, etc.). So the cron jobs are 740 right now. I assume that's ok, correct?

In general, you have a lot of die(); command there, but no logging in your web app. Would be nice to have some logging so we could see why it's failing when we can't get it to work. Or why things might be failing instead of just "Failure..."

Any thoughts on getting this to work?
OP hasn't logged in for months. Major respect for trying to get this updated (though I have no idea what most of that post means), but I think you'd have more luck trying to contact them on GitHub, assuming that's possible.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
"
viperesque wrote:
OP hasn't logged in for months. Major respect for trying to get this updated (though I have no idea what most of that post means), but I think you'd have more luck trying to contact them on GitHub, assuming that's possible.

Thanks, yeah I didn't even check the OP's last login date.

Good thought to contact him through GitHub instead. However, the last update he made on GitHub was from 7 months ago, lol. However, the OP does have this other project which was updated a couple days ago.

I'll keep playing around with this, because it's working on his site, though I can't see what he has on his site for cron and config files.
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Sep 21, 2016, 8:11:13 PM
Yea. Felipe who's doing most of the daily news these days isn't tracked. Would be nice if someone programming savvy can refresh gggtracker if OP isn't no longer actively working on this.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
"
Jerle wrote:
Yea. Felipe who's doing most of the daily news these days isn't tracked. Would be nice if someone programming savvy can refresh gggtracker if OP isn't no longer actively working on this.

There is a work-around for just news (Announcements forum). You can use GGG's RSS feed: https://www.pathofexile.com/news/rss. You can always use a free blog or other online software and have that RSS feed dump to the blog. Or just bookmark the feed itself, or use live RSS feed bookmarks.

Ultimately, would be nice to have this updated and all in one page.
Well then. Why did no one actually open an issue on GitHub? I would have updated everything immediately. :P Unfortunately, I don't get emails for thread replies or messages here, so I'm only going to see these things when I'm actively playing (and I just started playing again).

But I assure you I'll be available to maintain the poster list, handle pull requests, etc. for the foreseeable future.

So just to re-emphasize: GitHub is the preferred method of contact for me, and the preferred outlet for technical discussion. My day-to-day workflow already centers around it, so I'll be extremely responsive to any questions or issues there.

https://github.com/ccbrown/gggtracker

Thanks!
Stay up-to-date: gggtracker.com
Last edited by rz2yoj on Sep 26, 2016, 12:04:24 AM
"
rz2yoj wrote:
Well then. Why did no one actually open an issue on GitHub? I would have updated everything immediately. :P Unfortunately, I don't get emails for thread replies or messages here, so I'm only going to see these things when I'm actively playing (and I just started playing again).

But I assure you I'll be available to maintain the poster list, handle pull requests, etc. for the foreseeable future.

So just to re-emphasize: GitHub is the preferred method of contact for me, and the preferred outlet for technical discussion. My day-to-day workflow already centers around it, so I'll be extremely responsive to any questions or issues there.

https://github.com/ccbrown/gggtracker

Thanks!

Thank you very much! I use your tracker a lot :)
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info