PVP seems.... Dead

"
crl775m wrote:
I think random arenas are needed to increase interest among casuals and people like me who have not had time to play much since the last character wipe and thus cannot twink out a lowbie to be competitive in the 1v1s.

Run automated tournaments once an hour with maybe a three minute entry period.

"Random Arena is going to begin in # minutes! Type /arena to enter!"

Have it re-announce every minute until it begins, at which time everyone who joined (I know this would take tweaking as the playerbase increases once OB hits) is teleported into a large battleground where it's every player for his or her self. Last man standing gets a random orb as reward or something along those lines. (we all know bragging rights for winning PvP contests are really reward enough)

Once OB hits and the playerbase goes up to twenty bazillion, you could have tiered arenas based on the number of entrants. Say if you want a hard max of 30 players per arena, and you had 40 entrants, you could start out with 4 arenas of 7 players and 2 of 6, and then once each arena had a victor transport them to the 'championship' arena and have them fight it out to determine the overall winner.

That's my take on the matter. There is absolutely a place for the 1v1s and 3v3s that are already in place, but random arenas would provide a fun, much more casual-friendly introduction to PvP for most people.

im in support of this +1 GGG do your thing please :P
"
wakkage wrote:
"
crl775m wrote:
I think random arenas are needed to increase interest among casuals and people like me who have not had time to play much since the last character wipe and thus cannot twink out a lowbie to be competitive in the 1v1s.

Run automated tournaments once an hour with maybe a three minute entry period.

"Random Arena is going to begin in # minutes! Type /arena to enter!"

Have it re-announce every minute until it begins, at which time everyone who joined (I know this would take tweaking as the playerbase increases once OB hits) is teleported into a large battleground where it's every player for his or her self. Last man standing gets a random orb as reward or something along those lines. (we all know bragging rights for winning PvP contests are really reward enough)

Once OB hits and the playerbase goes up to twenty bazillion, you could have tiered arenas based on the number of entrants. Say if you want a hard max of 30 players per arena, and you had 40 entrants, you could start out with 4 arenas of 7 players and 2 of 6, and then once each arena had a victor transport them to the 'championship' arena and have them fight it out to determine the overall winner.

That's my take on the matter. There is absolutely a place for the 1v1s and 3v3s that are already in place, but random arenas would provide a fun, much more casual-friendly introduction to PvP for most people.

im in support of this +1 GGG do your thing please :P

That would be fun, But I fear it would consist of 2 of the 7 players just running and 1 shotting the others... and then it turns into a 1v1 at that point. I dont mind arenas at all, they are fun, but I think the "entry" pvp could be some type of battleground...

My other proposition is a world area PVP zone, that would act like "cutthroat" in the sense it is filled with Mobs to kill, but could be level capped as well, but is only accessable by ctrl clicking the zone just as you would to open a new portal, in which you then see the "World PVP" version. Default league would drop all bag items and 1 randomly chosen equipped item instead of dropping everything...

This would make twinks second guess some of their gear choice, and could be some fun PVP...
never bothered with pvp after i saw some end game pvp videos on youtube.
my marauder would get one hitted with his 2k life by these 5-6k energy shield opponents.
maybe later with better gear.
No rewards. No point.
It's dead because, in this order.

Rock paper scissors build a> build b> build c> build a

Certain skills and traps are terribly imbalanced with others(cannot be evaded, resisted)

No rewards

Beyeser - 77 Marauder
FuzzyClam - 80 Witch
FishyTaco - 74 Witch
Its dead because there's so much broken shit in it, that its utterly alien to a majority of users.
Indeed an arena like "last standing wins" would be fun! and would neutralize the rock, paper scissors.

And maybe give a pvp reward similar to demigods for a weekend event.

It would encourage people to test builds and stay more in the queues.

Carrots always helps rabbits.
Instead of making tons of Turbo Events .. let's make CutThroat Events ffs
I tried pvp once on my summoner witch, by the time I'd raised up my zombies I had been 1-hit killed by the duelist who was using phase run. (and I only had 3 zombies too). This happened each round, and was not fun.

Now I probably died because I was well below the level cap (I was level 15 I believe), but my opponent was at my starting point 3 seconds into the duel.

This has alot of balance issues and that is a big part of why most are not playing pvp
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
For an introductory bracket, the level 28 range still easily represents many of the issues with pvp balance as it now is. I think though the problem here is exacerbated by the evident and conspicuous lack of players and class types, which has the consequence of only so much exploitation and imbalance being so far manifested. Some of these issues were evident from day one, which is deeply perplexing to me especially as the same continue weeks later; other issues that have been speculated have appeared in some forms but probably not to their full extent. If nothing else the one-hit phenomenon needs to be looked at carefully, whilst I wouldn't recommend compromising the essential design, that type of experience so casually determined from items and skills (Voll's Baptism and the likes) is going to deter the next wave of players and so on.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info