PVP seems.... Dead

Being a PvPer from other games, I find this to be very important to end game. Its probably the only thing Ill focus on. The only problem is that I dont want to see some crazy new way of doing things when there are already proven ways to make PvP viable.

You need a base, something for everything involved to stem off, like battlegrounds, awarded points/glyphs/spendable item ONLY from pvp, to be spent to HELP in pvp. Like resistances, and snare removers that are rings, amulets, maybe even gems? Who knows.

This would give casuals, and hardcore players a place to begin alike, a place to build skill, new passive builds, gear builds, and the gaining of items that will help in pvp. Battlegrounds dont have to be incredibly large. Like someone said before, just simple games to play. Capture the flag, king of the kill, even something like a domination, where you capture spawn points and try to eliminate the other team. This is all good stuff that helps to build a foundation, gives reward and reason.

Next you need somewhere to make PvP even more rewarding for those who work to achieve it. This is where arena systems and matchmaking come in play. Arenas speak for themselves and will def gain popularity when population becomes bigger, bringing in more pvp players to try it. Arenas can give a different point/glyph/spendable item when you win that gives better rewards than bg points/glyphs/spendable items. This makes for a ladder system. Of course, areans should be 2v2 and 3v3, though 3v3 should be the main focus considering 2v2 in every game is usually a wash.

The rest comes with it, open world pvp areas, and dueling(crucial). Its a tried method that works. Altering can be done to make things more interesting.

Im sure most of this is already in the works, and they have an idea of what they want to do to make PvP very viable and useful in the game, but I feel that a familiar system, with a larger player base is almost always going to work, as long as there is good reason(reward) and availability(players queueing, battlegrounds to attend, and the resources).
(Deleted Spam and useless information)
"
Kurnis wrote:
sorry, but are you SERIOUS?

You drop mines, so the guy doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off and blowing himself up on your mines, and you are sayings its not fair?

He adapted to your strategy. Maybe you should get a better one before coming here and begging the developers to stop your opponents from moving at all and just letting you free cast at them.

I love the part where you said YOU were hiding behind an obstacle...and then had such disdain for the ranger for doing the exact same thing.

It had nothing against them hiding behind an obstacle, that happens alot in php. It's called using your environment to your advantage, my point is they stopped actively trying to engage me as soon as they were winning. That's my issue, sure my mines don't always work, and that's fine, but they were by no means my only source of attack, and they don't do any damage, they just freeze. Also mines don't blow up until triggered, unlike traps, get it right please.
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
Last edited by Faerie_Storm on Dec 16, 2012, 6:56:28 PM
"
FIreskull wrote:
People dont like to get oneshotted because they were not PvP focused.

The main issue i see is that the cookie-cutter build (shadow, phys crit, FS, etc etc) doesnt have any counter.
It ignores most of armor due to the formula, cant be kited, will OS you when it crits (+diamond flask at higher level).
It ends up in who is evading the most.

Looking for more balance and counters.
Last edited by samord on Dec 16, 2012, 7:15:39 PM
anyway - the pvp is dead. at least <28 pvp... too bad, will have to focus on pve for now.
"
samord wrote:
"
FIreskull wrote:

The main issue i see is that the cookie-cutter build (shadow, phys crit, FS, etc etc) doesnt have any counter.
It ignores most of armor due to the formula, cant be kited, will OS you when it crits (+diamond flask at higher level).

It's rather funny, because you get to see how strong melee in general is versus range, and it all boils down to the fact that ranged chars are simply so much more efficient. The issue being that GGG is attempting to overbuff melee to a point where, in pve, their efficiency is as good as ranged chars, instead of addressing their lackluster AoEs, they seem to be simply making melee do somuchdamage and be sotanky etc. Though there are many inherent issues with the system besides that. I think once we get some real balance, pvp will be a blast.
Well it seems that many of you have experienced the same issues I am concerned with. I have always loved PVP and it has been more of a focus of mine, however, I am not as drawn to PVP in POE as I have always been in the past.

Curious how you guys feel if GGG added WoW type seasons and rewards? So gear that was specifically geared towards pvp as pvp reqards and some type of "honor" points that would allow people to try and get "pvp" gear in a way that is not just farming orbs..

It seems to me that PVP is STILL based off of PVE in the sense that the only way to be good at PVP is to farm a ton PVE and then retool/twink the/a different character for PVP...

So to the question above, should you be able to earn PVP gear though PVP alone/combination/PVE alone?
No, don't do that. I don't want one toon for pvp and one for pve. I like that when you get to 60 your build is pretty much set and then you get to test it against other people. If you don't like twinking then don't play at lvl 28.
"
samord wrote:
"
FIreskull wrote:

Totems, bear traps, multiple curses (temp chains, enfeeble) for starters
"
Again I really think PoE should take a lesson from WoW here and have brackets every ten levels or so. Also take those lower level players and give them a little damage mitigation from higher levels. That way you take a lvl 22 versus a 27 and its a more fair match considering the damage is balanced out a little. This turns it more skill based then it currently is.

If you cant beat a lvl 27 with your lvl 22.... Good. Want to beat him? Go level up.
Not looking for an argument(although i may get one :D), it's just my take on that situation..
-Shark

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info