Build of the Week, Season 2 Episode 2 Build Submission Thread

Chris. I wanna submit a build, but u gotta promise not to nerf me

#dontnerfmebro
Last edited by Darkfyre on Oct 25, 2013, 6:15:28 PM
My character for Domination League is a Shadow named BeavertonBomber.

This build takes advantage of the new passive nodes for mines to augment the natural abilities of the Fireball spell. Fireball is a high damage skill with a moderate cast time and cost. This spell is also noteworthy because it has an innate area of effect which occurs at the point of impact. This allows it to work extremely well with the chosen supports and the mechanics of remote mines.

For a 4-link, I use Fireball, with Remote Mine, Lesser Multiple Projectiles, and Concentrated Effect

Remote Mine has its own set of mechanics to it, which Fireball attempts to exploit.

These are as follows:
• Multiple mines can be placed (5 by default) which allows for extremely high damage bursts at the expense of a small amount of preparation.
• Not affected by cast speed. Mines instead are affected by Mine Laying Speed, of which this character has a 38% increase due to passives. This makes the average time it takes to lay 5 mines significantly less than it would be to cast 5 Fireballs.
• Powerful single-target. These mines excel against small groups or single powerful enemies, making bosses and rare monsters relatively easy to deal with, along with champion packs. A typical encounter with a rare enemy consists of 5 mines placed around it that typically kill instantly when detonated.
• Reflect-Proof. Mines are technically casting the spell, thus they take all of the damage from reflect. Because mines self-destruct upon detonation, this renders reflect irrelevant. Getting a lot of crit nodes (which I intend to do at a higher level) poses absolutely no risk.

However, mines are not without weaknesses:
• Unreliable targeting. Mines attempt to target the enemy nearest to them. This can be annoying but when fighting multiple enemies, as the player would not be able to prioritize a specific target. This can be mitigated by surrounding the intended target with mines prior to detonation.
• High mana cost. The cost for a level 12 Fireball with these three supports is 82. This adds up to quite a lot when one is laying five mines in quick succession. To compensate for this, my character took the Eldrich Battery keystone for the increased mana pool. I also use the Clarity aura for the extra mana regeneration. Because mines are typically laid in inconsistent bursts of five rather than constantly, there is enough downtime for Clarity to restore most of the mana which was expended before more mines need to be laid.
• Poor area damage. While this does extremely high damage, it is inefficient against large groups of weak enemies. To compensate for this I use Fire Trap with the Multiple Traps support. Traps benefit from many of the same nodes that mines do, and Fire Trap fits thematically with this character.

Prior to the 1.0.0 passive tree, mines were awkward and clumsy to use. Two new notable passives alleviate some of the most prohibitive of these issues:
Volatile Mines - This makes mine detonation instant, greatly increasing the efficiency of using mines in a fast-paced situation.
Clever Construction - This prevents mines from being damaged for 5 seconds after being placed, which also allows them to be used against enemies that deal area damage.
Additionally, the High Explosives notable grants a 10% penetration to resistances which further multiplies the effectiveness of mines.

Lesser Multiple Projectiles is an excellent choice of supports because it is possible to have more than one Fireball hit the same target. Furthermore, the 30% less damage from this support is more than made up for by Remote Mine.

Concentrated Effect is useful because it grants a multiplier of at least 50% more damage. This comes at the expense of lowering the already small area of effect of Fireball, but the extra damage more than makes up for the smaller area.

If this character had a 5 or 6-link item, I would choose Added Lightning Damage and Added Cold Damage as extra supports because their damage is increased by the mine passives and then multiplied by Remote Mine and Concentrated Effect. Additionally, both damage types would penetrate 10% resistances due to the High Explosives notable.

Overall, this is a very fun and exciting build that I've wanted to do for a while. With the new passive tree, I decided that this was a good time to try it.

At the time of writing this, my character is level 49 with these passives allocated:
Current
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYABncOSBHCGYYc3B6UI18kPCaVLEYtRzIYNns8vUYrRnFJO0lRTC1Om1BCUzFVS1ptW7tirG17b55vvHBRfrB_xoIegwmIQow2j_qTJ52qndmgQ6IupuenXKw_swO0DLSjwcXKStad2FTZ4NsL2-fcV9537Bg=

My planned tree is set until level 76. Once I take all of these passives, I might get all of the critical strike and damage nodes near the Shadow area, though the damage will likely be excellent even without these.
Planned
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBBncOSBHCHNwelCNfJDwmlSxGLUcyGDZ7PL1GK0ZxSTtJUUwtUEJTMVVLWm1bu2Ksb55vvHBRfrB_xoIegwmIQow2j_qTJ52qndmgQ6IupuenXKw_swO0DLSjwcXKStad2FTbC9vn3Ffed-wYTpvZ4HZvGYaS86xHks3rLCpNPydKyG6qtfI1kqxZiPH-j03jplc64fJF_grnYxUgg9v8S85xbBYs6d0NW69OKiml_MVnoId2Sn3jhO4Vt3Ue8PF2

This build has no required gear or unique items. All of the required gems are quest rewards for the Shadow with the exception of Concentrated Effect. I traded 2 Orbs of Alchemy and 1 Orb of Fusing with another player for this gem.

My current gear is mediocre with the exception of my scepter:
Gear
Light as a neutral force.

The new flesh emerges.
Last edited by Baronfuming on Oct 25, 2013, 6:54:08 PM
reserving til finished spec
IGN - @Smokntumbleweed ~ Streaming @ twitch.tv/smokintumbleweed
Ignite Vortex Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1735563
Brain Rattler 100% Fire Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1757390
My Loot Filter located @ bit.ly/poefilter
I don't have a character ready, but someone should make an Avatar of Fire, Ice Spear, Cold to Fire, Elemental Proliferation, Burning Crit Build.
I decided to watch the BotW season 1 videos again, as i was a pretty big noob back when i first watched them. It was an interesting contrast! Most of the builds seemed a lot simpler than they did at the time. And most builds didn't seem as good as they did when i was a noob.
Necropolis: 95
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
I just did respecc my Templar with Ice Spear Ele Prolif Avatar of Fire.

Sadly my gems aren't leveld and my gear is shit and I just wasted tons of fusings / chromes to try stuff out.

Gear:
Spoiler

Skill Tree:
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABAcFWw5IEZYSaRZvFvMXHBmFGjgabB8CJDwkqiY8JpUnqSlPLJwtHy-dNsU22DbpRtdJG0lRTLNQMFVLVcZabV3GXfJgbWKsY0NmT2aebRlwUnDVcXl-WX_GgUmCHoKbhX2HZYgbiEKLjIw2jmSPRpBVnC2dY52AnaOdqp2uoqOksacIp1ynhK-Nr7eyOLUEtvrAGsBRwfPPZdDQ1p3YJNrd2wvbXt3z4XPjauOE5CLljuw47FXtIO-F8h33pvyr

It seems decent although I struggle keeping mobs off of me, the Skeleton Totem helps a ton with that but I miss the slow from cold.

This is hardly optimized and all my gems are underleveld and my gear is horrible.

It's a lot of fun though.

I would really love if Avatar of Fire would recolour all Spells to red, so you can throw red Ice Spears instead of blue ones. Those little changes would add a lot of feeling to the game.

I hope this is what you were looking for :P

tl/dr: I bricked my highest standard character for fun and for science !

Edit: can't seem to add my gloves and neck ... using pathetic Doedre's Tenure with Spell Totem - Summon Skeletons - Blind - Faster Cast and a horrible Dex Necklace with 61% crit multiplier.

Last edited by Saviouress on Oct 25, 2013, 9:38:13 PM
"
MasterCard wrote:

rofl nice divine brah xD
ign: ALLRAUDER
"
hazz0 wrote:
Character: Bad_Idea_Walking

Ranger, recommended for Hardcore.

Reasons: While this build can be done just as well with a Templar or Marauder, I find that 1-30 is easiest as a ranger in hardcore due to the early access to Iron Reflexes, large amounts of life and evasion nodes from the start and attack speed.

Skills : Now I understand that the skills involved are not given from the ranger quests, however they all are extremely common.

Glacial Hammer (can be gained from making a level 1 Templar)
Melee Splash (very common low level support)
Frostbite (once again very easy to trade for.)

Bonus: Typically only 1-3 chaos is Multistrike and Elemental Proliferation. Since you will be leveling with Sweep or Cleave until level 30 anyways you can typically find enough currency by then to get these two gems, I did.

Only requires a 4Link : Glacial Hammer - Melee Splash - MultiStrike - Elemental Proliferation

Simply Dual Wield any maces you like with decent physical roles or added cold roles.

How it works: Since Glacial Hammer and Frostbite will give a good amount of chance to freeze, and with the amount of chances with splash and MultiStrike, many of your enemies will freeze around you once you start attacking, this greatly reduces incoming damage and makes it more noob friendly.

Late Game, the build isn't only for beginners, the build will scale heavily with Hatred aura, a 5Link for Weapon Elemental Damage Support, and a 6L for Life Leech in Hard maps, or More Melee Phys Damage for easy ones.
On Gear you can get Inc Weap Ele dmg% on rings, amulets etc.

As far as passives are concerned, get life, attack speed (to increase opportunities to freeze) +100% armour or evasion or combination, about 5-10 Mace damage passives, or 1 hand passives and Life regen.

Too the Developers, I suggest you log on to my character and play it for about 30 seconds in Merc Ledge, there are 2 1 handed maces on the first page of my stash tab and a 2 hander on her.

I have one char running in Nemesis, using Glacial Hammer and Splash. I try to increase the freeze chance by taking crit nodes (also upping the dps a bit). Quality added cold also increase freeze chance(unlikely to get one soon or in few weeks -.-). I am using shield and taking block nodes.

I just curious if adding Blind gem would be useful or Freeze is enough?

anyway, should be noob friendly enough.
"
draygourn wrote:
"
hazz0 wrote:
Character: Bad_Idea_Walking

Ranger, recommended for Hardcore.

Reasons: While this build can be done just as well with a Templar or Marauder, I find that 1-30 is easiest as a ranger in hardcore due to the early access to Iron Reflexes, large amounts of life and evasion nodes from the start and attack speed.

Skills : Now I understand that the skills involved are not given from the ranger quests, however they all are extremely common.

Glacial Hammer (can be gained from making a level 1 Templar)
Melee Splash (very common low level support)
Frostbite (once again very easy to trade for.)

Bonus: Typically only 1-3 chaos is Multistrike and Elemental Proliferation. Since you will be leveling with Sweep or Cleave until level 30 anyways you can typically find enough currency by then to get these two gems, I did.

Only requires a 4Link : Glacial Hammer - Melee Splash - MultiStrike - Elemental Proliferation

Simply Dual Wield any maces you like with decent physical roles or added cold roles.

How it works: Since Glacial Hammer and Frostbite will give a good amount of chance to freeze, and with the amount of chances with splash and MultiStrike, many of your enemies will freeze around you once you start attacking, this greatly reduces incoming damage and makes it more noob friendly.

Late Game, the build isn't only for beginners, the build will scale heavily with Hatred aura, a 5Link for Weapon Elemental Damage Support, and a 6L for Life Leech in Hard maps, or More Melee Phys Damage for easy ones.
On Gear you can get Inc Weap Ele dmg% on rings, amulets etc.

As far as passives are concerned, get life, attack speed (to increase opportunities to freeze) +100% armour or evasion or combination, about 5-10 Mace damage passives, or 1 hand passives and Life regen.

Too the Developers, I suggest you log on to my character and play it for about 30 seconds in Merc Ledge, there are 2 1 handed maces on the first page of my stash tab and a 2 hander on her.

I have one char running in Nemesis, using Glacial Hammer and Splash. I try to increase the freeze chance by taking crit nodes (also upping the dps a bit). Quality added cold also increase freeze chance(unlikely to get one soon or in few weeks -.-). I am using shield and taking block nodes.

I just curious if adding Blind gem would be useful or Freeze is enough?

anyway, should be noob friendly enough.

That is one way to increase freeze chance, but in my opinion, more attacks per second is better because you scale the amount of hits with splash, each swing can produce about 4-8 chances for 1 freeze, which is all you need, and if you attack faster, you get more of that chance, guess statistic aside, I would say about 90% of the time my very first swing freezes the pack with just frostbite and glacial alone.
Character: SecretsTrappah

I am playing as an Iron Reflexes, Elemental Equilibrium, Fire/Lightning Trapper Scion in Nemesis. Here is my Skill Tree after about 50 skill point ,currently (lvl 50), and end game.

Currently I have only 2L for all my gems at most:
1)I have fire gem linked with fire penetration,
2)lightning trap linked with blind (b/c I found blind and had an open link),
3)Enduring cry linked with cast on damage taken
4)Naked Smoke Mine
5)Clarity
6)Naked Bear Trap

I had to kill normal brutus and transfer fire trap and lightning trap to my scion from shadow, other than the lucky drop of cast on damage taken, all my gems have come from quest line. Since the damage comes from EE, this build can carry its weight as early as you are comfortable going for EE above defenses.

I start with a fire trap, then throw lightning trap in the same spot. Fire trap explodes, then lightning right after. This means the mobs are vulnerable to cold and fire, taking increased degen damage from the fire trap. I alternate these traps in that order in rapid succession in groups. I usually run out of mana with about a 400 mana pool tide up with clarity right as I have to wait on my fire trap to recharge. For single target DPS. If I cannot kite an attack mob, I will keep myself covered in smoke mine to reduce attacks taken. I have made it through cruel piety with little trouble and smart play.

The end game goal of this build is:

To run three auras (Grace, Vitality, Determination) and run my traps on blood magic gem. With ~230% increased life, 3.7% life regen from tree, and the added regen of buffed Vitality; I should be able to sustain the constant throwing of traps.

3L 1 Handed weapon: Bear Trap, Blood Magic, Added Cold Damage/Item Rarity
3L Shield: Smoke Mine, Blood Magic, Increased Duration
4L Helm: Grace, Determination, Vitality, Reduced Mana
4L Gloves: Lightning Trap, Lightning Penetration, Pierce, Blood Magic
4L Boots: Enduring Cry, Immortal Call, Cast on Damage Taken, Increased Duration
5L Chest: Fire Trap, Increased AoE, Fire Penetration, Concentrated Effect, Blood Magic

IGN SC Tal: Righteous_Will
Last edited by osvg on Oct 26, 2013, 5:20:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info