Cast on Death

If i link cast when damage taken to cast on death and some spells, would the bonuses from both triggers register on my spells if for example I get one-shot (assuming I have enough hp to satisfy the leveled CWDT's damage trigger)?

Or would they just cast separately?
According to poe wiki:

"
Cast on Death is a Trigger Gem and causes linked spells to activate when the player is killed. Note that this does not trigger on minion deaths.

which dominating blow, totem, skeleton, zombie and many more minion related gem will not trigger the CoD gem when they dead.

however,clicking the "Minion" on wiki on the CoD page
"
Minions are Zombies, Skeletons, Spectres, Animated Weapons, Animated Guardians and Dominated. Monsters converted using Conversion Trap do not count as minions and are not effected by minion passives.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Converted mosnters are not your minions. They're allies, in that they're on your side (briefly), but they are not minions. The skill specifically does not mention minions anywhere on it (the minion skills all do).

long time ago Mark GGG stated that converted monster is ur allies.

My scenario is using a 6L tabula rasa
example with 6L with Raise Spectre, Minion Life, minion dmg, minion resist, Conversion trap, Empower.
1.lure a bunch of monster and kill one of it u want to raise as spectre.
2.dmg another monster into low life" like very low and make sure it will die on conversion trap period"
3.throw a conversion trap to the damaged monster and immediately replace the conversion trap with cast on death gem before its die.
4.My question is :once it trigger and become ur allies "as the wiki shows monster that converted are not count as minion as Mark GGG confirmed it" and it die before u switching the CoD gem because other surrounding creep atk it.
will it trigger the gem and raise the spectre? will it have the 300% more damage mortifier apply to ur spectre? or its just one simple rule...it can only be trigger by "PLAYER DEATH".

TLDR: is Cast on Death can only be trigger by "PLAYER DEATH", no matter how others die (even they are not minion) it simply wont work?
Last edited by badanu on Dec 14, 2013, 1:21:12 AM
TOTAL FAIL of Design in this case.
It seperates Soft- and Hardcore players even more.
It is an insult for every Softcore player out there and should be just removed from the game. It supports senseless builds.
cast on death doubles the value of portal gem. and of course its useless in hardcore based leages. the vast damage multiplier is simply a gimmick with potential.
I keep dropping this in Nemesis :(

I'd like to see this gem not drop in HC leagues/Races etc and instead drop some other gem.
i realized something some modern summoners forgot to do, use this support gem instead of mine support. completely not viable for spectre with trying to level up (unless you have time), but it works fine for zombies (normal mode). only requires either blood magic'ed skill with ci or that plus blood rage.

hey if people are crazy enough to swap gear out, they shouldn't mind going this extra step for 304% more damage boost vs 49%.
CoD doesn't work when a spell is linked to trap/remote mine

Ex.: CoD + Trap + fireball doesn't work... it should, since your are casting the spell fireball which happens to be a trap now.

And answering the guys above. This skill is for:
1 - convenience on standard (with portal gem)
2 - PVP (HC and standard)

Of course you can do other stuff in standard but have fun losing 10% xp everytime you die.
"
pelife123 wrote:
CoD doesn't work when a spell is linked to trap/remote mine

Ex.: CoD + Trap + fireball doesn't work... it should, since your are casting the spell fireball which happens to be a trap now.
No you're not. You're placing a trap. When that trap is triggered, it will cast the spell Fireball. Placing a trap is not casting a spell.
"
LMHTB wrote:
TOTAL FAIL of Design in this case.
It seperates Soft- and Hardcore players even more.
It is an insult for every Softcore player out there and should be just removed from the game. It supports senseless builds.

for PvE, perhaps you're right. But for team-based PvP? This gem is perfect. Load someone up with a 6L CoD and throw them in. Watch the opposing team cry as you mop up the remnants.

This then brings about a whole slew of team PvP considerations:

- This guy's leap slamming to our flag at super speed. Take him out!
- But, this opponent ain't doing any dps at all, is it too obviously bait?
- Yeah but he's nearest to our flag, we gotta stop him somehow
- Ok, fine, let's take him out, we can't risk it
- No! Wait!
- BOOM! Bye bye...
I still think you should be able to use this gem with summons. With some major penalties and limitations in order to balance things out.

That would make it useful not only for softcore and pvp, and would be a great upgrade for summoners, especially since two new summonning gems, AG and AW, are quite useless and extremely inconvenient right now.
I have yet to see a viable build relying on those gems.
Last edited by DarkTl on Jan 4, 2014, 7:58:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info