Melee dex AoE gem would be a nice addition

http://tinyurl.com/9h7njjn

This is my claw build (not strictly a leech build). Not typical, and you'll notice I picked up STR nodes; I don't HAVE to use DEX skills as I could easily use one of the STR AoE's with no issue.

The problem is that if that was my intention with the build from the outset, I'd HAVE to pick up STR if I want to AoE. It's evidenced by the way the passive tree works that the developers intended for there to be some definite personality to each class, but for them to be largely customizable (build of the week?).

In any other game I'd say 'Well, roll a Mara, Temp, or Duelist because they're the pure melee classes, and shut up', but they've (the devs) really put an emphasis on the class differences being largely cosmetic beyond a certain level and the lack of a melee dex AoE is a gap that might stymie Duelists, Rangers, and Shadows from trying builds they might otherwise.

STR classes get 3 or 4 AoE choices, INT classes have multiple AoE choices, and with DEX classes it's either go ranged or go hybrid.

As far as your class not feeling "special" enough... lol. This is PoE, not Everquest.
Last edited by gizzomizzo on Oct 8, 2012, 4:29:20 PM
Well we're still missing a whirlwind type skill

unless thats what whirling kades is about

btw would fixing up whirling blade solve yhis issue?
BTW i believe content of this topic somewhat misleading cause AOE skills doesnt require that much specific stats. With couple of big str or int nodes you're good to go. But esp str Aoe skills purely weapon based so if we want to aoe for claw or dagger users all they need to change that base weapon specification for those skills. Since gathering str isnt that hard, we need to focus on weapons and their usable skills...
Last edited by Ceykey on Oct 8, 2012, 4:41:03 PM
"
Ceykey wrote:
BTW i believe content of this topic somewhat misleading cause AOE skills doesnt require that much specific stats. With couple of big str or int nodes you're good to go. But esp str Aoe skills purely weapon based so if we want to aoe for claw or dagger users all they need to change that base weapon specification for those skills. Since gathering str isnt that hard, we need to focus on weapons and their usable skills...

What you believe doesn´t have to do with the topic btw we still talking about dex melee aoe

"
well think this way if u add aoe for claws dat life leech gonna be Op for exaple u are cleaving through bunch of enemies and with every hit u leech tons of es or hp back to you u become tankier than any class due to your high life leech percentage.
Anyway im not totally against it since any other classes can acces to the claws as well i jut point out my concern.

Btw i want 360 degree cleave for dual wielders which every hand does 180 from your sides...

And that is one is easy. Since gems can have a malus for stats it would say something like % decreased life leech for that skill.
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
Last edited by Spysong192 on Oct 8, 2012, 4:50:26 PM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
Having to click every target one by one blows. You won't get any actual kills off firetrap, and you won't kite well enough to even make great use of the burning ground AoE. This leaves cleave.

I see this as a fundamental problem with target selection and tricky hitboxes in the PoE combat engine, not shadow weapon design or lack of an AoE gem. We are all using AoE skills as a workaround for combat engine problems and I'd rather see the combat engine improved instead. In a game engine where you can click and hold a melee skill and select new targets on mouseover a fast attack-speed single target skill strong enough to one-shot normal mobs can be a lot of fun.
Open beta is still BETA.
"
And that is one is easy. Since gems can have a malus for stats it would say something like % decreased life leech for that skill.

And what ll be the results of this for non claw limited passive and gear life leechers? Anyway changing something what u already have is simplier than adding new skill.

Btw for example they added new aoe for dex only builds but they still cant doable with daggers and claws is that gonna answer your problem ? İf your answer yes thats lead to my previous suggestion which stacking couple str nodes and go for str aoes.
Last edited by Ceykey on Oct 8, 2012, 5:04:21 PM
"
Ceykey wrote:
"

And what ll be the results of this for non claw limited passive and gear life leechers? Anyway changing something what u already have is simplier than adding new skill.

Btw for example they added new aoe for dex only builds but they still cant doable with daggers and claws is that gonna answer your problem ? İf your answer yes thats lead to my previous suggestion which stacking couple str nodes and go for str aoes.

What would be the result if i use ground slam but use daggers .. oh snap.
The new skill would be claw/dagger only.

And of the workaround about str other sytles of play.. yes they are what i said .. a workaround.

E1: the discussion about the skill itself is meaningless if the lack of a dex aoe gem is generaly in doubt.
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
Last edited by Spysong192 on Oct 8, 2012, 5:13:17 PM
"
Spysong192 wrote:

What does this has to do with the actuall discussion about meleee dex aoe? :D

My post was in reply to the ongoing discussion elements relating to the idea that each type of weapon has a purpose in the game, and that the skills (aoe or otherwise) were matched to the weapons they would most commonly be used with; bows for rangers or claws for life leech. :)
Yeah, just to reiterate, the original point of the thread is thus: STR characters have a choice of AoEs, INT characters have a choice of AoEs, ranged DEX characters have a choice of AoEs, melee DEX characters don't nless they want to pick up STR or INT.
On my shadow characters I feel forced into a hybrid style build choice because gem options and current gems do not offer to a melee DEX shadow at all.

The current skills available to AoE with are subpar and suboptimal, forcing shadows to hybrid to gain a viable AoE skill that works with the class. It's a clear sign that the class itself, or at least gem options, need to be created to fill in more roles and options for certain builds. (Lightning/Fire gems for witch, staff gems for templar, etc..)

For me, its basically cleave for AoE shadow viability. Eth Knives is a spell and isnt good while Whirling Blades is sluggish and not good for damage. That leaves basically no option but to hybrid.

Either change cleave in some way to work with claws/daggers or create a gem with a DEX only requirement that fills the gap the same way cleave can.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info