Melee dex AoE gem would be a nice addition

"
wiggin wrote:
Claws can't use many aoes because they are hybrid weapons intended to be used with spells. And there is many aoe spells. Same goes for daggers

I'm sorry, WHAT?
Have you ever seen "caster" rolls on a claw?me no, only physical leech damage, physical damage, atk speed,etc.
I can go witht he daggers but they are 60% phyical 40% spell rolls
and wands themselves have increase physica damage and something else sometime.

Sir, in what "claws" seems like a caster weapon to you?
I mean dexterity/intelligence (or melee/caster if you will) hybrid. They can roll both spell mods making them effective for spellcasters, you can't get this on maces or swords for example.

Don't ask me, ask devs. They made it this way, I am just describing current situation.

Edit: Actually my bad, it was daggers. Scratch that then;) (I was just looking at mana regeneration roll on a claw and thought they roll other caster mods as well. But this one roll doesn't justify their caster role at all, I get it;)
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Oct 8, 2012, 12:10:36 PM
The point I'm going for here, despite all that just went before:

Having to click every target one by one blows. You won't get any actual kills off firetrap, and you won't kite well enough to even make great use of the burning ground AoE. This leaves cleave.

I don't care about the weapon roles argument. If you're walking around single-targetting, crit simply doesn't matter, and the dagger's "role" is lost. Every crit is massive overkill until you meet a champion or better opponent.

Cleave comes at the premium of at least 2 Might notables. Where are you going to get those? There's one in reach of the eastern ranger area, which you'll pass by if you're going allout crit. Otherwise you're forced to build to it just for cleave. The second one simply doesn't exist anywhere near shadow; you have to build towards the center, or way south, or twink your character. Again, limiting your options.

This is called "build stifling". You have one lone build cornerstone that's completely isolated in the skilltree, you have to spend several points just to get there. Otherwise your build doesn't work; limiting your options.

I'm not asking for a bona-fide AoE, even something multi-target would solve the problem. Even something that only hits 2 targets. It just needs to be dex-aligned. Every other class has something suitable aligned to their natural primary stats. Melee shadow is limited to firetrap for AoE and single-target dex-aligned melee skills. Or cleave, and I've explained my objection to that being the only option.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 8, 2012, 12:17:14 PM
Lightning strike would fit that role well.

...if it was green gem ofc.
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Oct 8, 2012, 12:15:27 PM
I think the reasoning is that Cleave is str/dex, therefore usable by the stereotypical dualist. Rangers get bow aoe skills (and there are dex only swords to cleave with) and shadows can use spells.

The problem is that we do not play stereotypical characters. A claw/dagger aoe skill would fill the gap, imo.
"
Zakaluka wrote:
The point I'm going for here, despite all that just went before:

Having to click every target one by one blows. You won't get any actual kills off firetrap, and you won't kite well enough to even make great use of the burning ground AoE. This leaves cleave.

I don't care about the weapon roles argument. If you're walking around single-targetting, crit simply doesn't matter, and the dagger's "role" is lost. Every crit is massive overkill until you meet a champion or better opponent.

Cleave comes at the premium of at least 2 Might notables. Where are you going to get those? There's one in reach of the eastern ranger area, which you'll pass by if you're going allout crit. Otherwise you're forced to build to it just for cleave. The second one simply doesn't exist anywhere near shadow; you have to build towards the center, or way south, or twink your character. Again, limiting your options.

This is called "build stifling". You have one lone build cornerstone that's completely isolated in the skilltree, you have to spend several points just to get there. Otherwise your build doesn't work; limiting your options.

I'm not asking for a bona-fide AoE, even something multi-target would solve the problem. Even something that only hits 2 targets. It just needs to be dex-aligned. Every other class has something suitable aligned to their natural primary stats. Melee shadow is limited to firetrap for AoE and single-target dex-aligned melee skills. Or cleave, and I've explained my objection to that being the only option.

I just want to disagree about one thing. I try to get at least 2 off-spec notables ability nodes on all my characters. So, even as a pure dex ranger I would have 74 str and int when naked. This means that will a few stats on gear I can use any skill gems. I think this is important because there are a lot of off spec support gems and auras that I want to have.
This is something I was trying to express with my claw-caster fail explanation: I don't want all weapons to be able to do everything well. The choice of weapon should matter. Big weapons with better aoes, small weapons with faster attacks etc. And weapon reach would and hopefully will fix this (alongside new gem additions).
✠ ✠
The relative imbalance (and it is pretty huge IMO) between melee and ranged makes me agree that we do need more specifically AOE attacks, but even then, I seriously think we need the ability to hit multiple targets with non-AOE attacks, at the least.

The equivalent of lmp/gmp for non-aoe melee attacks would help a fair bit imo.
"
Flab wrote:
The relative imbalance (and it is pretty huge IMO) between melee and ranged makes me agree that we do need more specifically AOE attacks, but even then, I seriously think we need the ability to hit multiple targets with non-AOE attacks, at the least.

The equivalent of lmp/gmp for non-aoe melee attacks would help a fair bit imo.

a zeal-like support would be nice. Maybe even a penetrate (pierce) that lets non-aoe attacks pierce a short distance beyond.
I think a simple fix, without getting into the weapon specialization argument, would be to make Eth Knives a sharp weapon attack (daggers, claws, swords) and remove the int.

wiggin: I don't understand your weapon specialization argument because each weapon, with the exception of maybe swords and axes, already do something well enough without further limiting them skill gems. Maces stun; daggers crit; claws leech. That, combined with node passives, narrow the build choices enough as is without removing the already small number of available gems from the usable realm. That's not even considering the fact that there are different variants of each individual weapon type (i.e 1.1, 1.35, and 1.5 claws).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info