Melee dex AoE gem would be a nice addition

"
hzflank wrote:
So, even as a pure dex ranger I would have 74 str and int when naked. This means that will a few stats on gear I can use any skill gems.

Much easier to accomplish on a ranger than a shadow.

I've tried it from both angles. Hard to buy a second Might on a shadow, and that last 30 str has to come from gear.

Not a problem if you have twink uniques laying around, but this should cause significant trouble for any first-time player. And I just find it... limiting.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 8, 2012, 1:24:12 PM
I would agree with that thing about 2h = ae (etc), 1h dagger (etc) = fast attack (skill based) but only if this would be a RPG/MMO. This is an ARPG where aoe dmg matters more then anything else.

And the lack of dex melee ae is an fact.
That´s my opinion at least. The choice of weapon you use is allready there as gizzomizzo allready said. If you´re wielding daggers you will mostly do a crit build. If you choose claws you will mostly do life leech build. But that doesn´t say explicit that you´re not allowed to do good ae dmg with the joice of weapons/stat.
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
The problem with claws being the major leech weapon is that they are int based and all the leech support skills are strength based, so to build a really good life leech/regen character you need to use both strength and int nodes heavily.

This is workable but it takes a lot of planning and effort. The first thing I had to do in planning my leech/regen build was to decide that the claw specific nodes were completely inferior to the speed and dual wield based nodes which don't force my character to ALWAYS use claw weapons to get the bonus; plus they aren't as scattered along the tree as the (mostly worthless) claw specific nodes are.

To compound this dispersal of claw nodes, and their general inferiority, while early claws get +3 or +8 life per hit, later claws are based on physical melee damage which is also increased by your strength score. So a pure witch or a pure shadow isn't going to get as much use out of it as a paladin, but the paladin is going to be lacking the attack speed and dual wield abilities needed to really make those small, low damage, high attack speed, weapons shine.

This is my current claw build:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQYBL6MMgza4SjBj8nqPbE8gYnCreJKICWYlnTC4151lGKW3QK269zxve_s-I6jev_2ogGcsVZwvPrHslXzyoRfl-jP9-x_Pz_eAaC6RDOAgJykGwETPDZDIZqgUcPGyIUh6uFbXl_fwp8I1ASd2uwJSNJZI7CpmLhE2fZ4WJhntnoBdYYBs-W2VbZZmtQ0EH3keRqoNjgr8Kq-DXu8H5wnqKsiZvQJbqUGxoeaENbxH3uDw3Uh0bypPGqh4LXuZt1eym29CSqI3qHa7ikAZBI6nnNM_8HtbPAaMB4wTLOSv3A4IesKcCqgxHYDJM9WqBTpWk4cffl0LwSnv9OUtEE72Uv8VHDcdEa-0eE0BusDmWG-KhXQ99AqYFJKyYraJaX6W_WgJbZSDO56VwD5RWPFopZ1QuvvzOuzLfTzKgdrHWsSDtJsScsWYfcLpd_7bcm0gG_5IlyK1-s13ztDsfztvT_rOpZoHa5TV1YyD9N8DFdSqFnYGdigTz2-NjTM3xCN_qC96iXKfVtSE1xwSQS3w9K662-GyvDr8i8kED3KypW5dVbLmJgJE4_Nf7VbZm6gSMBrrWSTt4KjzR3cY

It's not perfect for every claw user because I use two elemental auras and elemental hit with this particular build so I'm also getting a few added elemental damage nodes that otherwise would be better spent on other things. :)
Last edited by JohnChance on Oct 8, 2012, 1:41:43 PM
"
wiggin wrote:
I mean dexterity/intelligence (or melee/caster if you will) hybrid. They can roll both spell mods making them effective for spellcasters, you can't get this on maces or swords for example.

Don't ask me, ask devs. They made it this way, I am just describing current situation.

Edit: Actually my bad, it was daggers. Scratch that then;) (I was just looking at mana regeneration roll on a claw and thought they roll other caster mods as well. But this one roll doesn't justify their caster role at all, I get it;)

You already realized your mistake, but maces(sceptres) are also caster weapons.
I'm against green AoE melee for rangers/shadows. Shadows get their blue AoE spells and rangers, well, got their range attacks (use traps or try switching for your bow for rain of arrows sometimes?). Red melee attacks is one of the reason why maruder feels special. If you start getting equally good skills of every type in every gem colour than the borders between different classes will diffuse too much. Also, there will be no point in branching out in the skill tree if each class will be self-sufficient. The whole point of different classes is to have weaknesses as well as strong sides.
IGN: AlCohonez, GhengizCohen
Last edited by piotras on Oct 8, 2012, 2:42:23 PM
personally I use lightning strike for my melee shadow and it's fine. complements arcing blows as well. doesn't really matter what colour the gem is. most melee characters put points in some large +30 str nodes anyway since str increases melee physical damage as well so don't really see the problem. that said, more dex skills will always be welcome
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
"
Zakaluka wrote:
"
hzflank wrote:
So, even as a pure dex ranger I would have 74 str and int when naked. This means that will a few stats on gear I can use any skill gems.

Much easier to accomplish on a ranger than a shadow.

I've tried it from both angles. Hard to buy a second Might on a shadow, and that last 30 str has to come from gear.

Not a problem if you have twink uniques laying around, but this should cause significant trouble for any first-time player. And I just find it... limiting.

iirc there is a might node just below CI which you will be passing anyway. And there is a might node just south of the frenzy charge nodes, which you will want anyway (assuming you use BF and CI).
"
JohnChance wrote:
The problem with claws being the major leech weapon is that they are int based and all the leech support skills are strength based, so to build a really good life leech/regen character you need to use both strength and int nodes heavily.

This is workable but it takes a lot of planning and effort. The first thing I had to do in planning my leech/regen build was to decide that the claw specific nodes were completely inferior to the speed and dual wield based nodes which don't force my character to ALWAYS use claw weapons to get the bonus; plus they aren't as scattered along the tree as the (mostly worthless) claw specific nodes are.

To compound this dispersal of claw nodes, and their general inferiority, while early claws get +3 or +8 life per hit, later claws are based on physical melee damage which is also increased by your strength score. So a pure witch or a pure shadow isn't going to get as much use out of it as a paladin, but the paladin is going to be lacking the attack speed and dual wield abilities needed to really make those small, low damage, high attack speed, weapons shine.

This is my current claw build:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQYBL6MMgza4SjBj8nqPbE8gYnCreJKICWYlnTC4151lGKW3QK269zxve_s-I6jev_2ogGcsVZwvPrHslXzyoRfl-jP9-x_Pz_eAaC6RDOAgJykGwETPDZDIZqgUcPGyIUh6uFbXl_fwp8I1ASd2uwJSNJZI7CpmLhE2fZ4WJhntnoBdYYBs-W2VbZZmtQ0EH3keRqoNjgr8Kq-DXu8H5wnqKsiZvQJbqUGxoeaENbxH3uDw3Uh0bypPGqh4LXuZt1eym29CSqI3qHa7ikAZBI6nnNM_8HtbPAaMB4wTLOSv3A4IesKcCqgxHYDJM9WqBTpWk4cffl0LwSnv9OUtEE72Uv8VHDcdEa-0eE0BusDmWG-KhXQ99AqYFJKyYraJaX6W_WgJbZSDO56VwD5RWPFopZ1QuvvzOuzLfTzKgdrHWsSDtJsScsWYfcLpd_7bcm0gG_5IlyK1-s13ztDsfztvT_rOpZoHa5TV1YyD9N8DFdSqFnYGdigTz2-NjTM3xCN_qC96iXKfVtSE1xwSQS3w9K662-GyvDr8i8kED3KypW5dVbLmJgJE4_Nf7VbZm6gSMBrrWSTt4KjzR3cY

It's not perfect for every claw user because I use two elemental auras and elemental hit with this particular build so I'm also getting a few added elemental damage nodes that otherwise would be better spent on other things. :)

What does this has to do with the actuall discussion about meleee dex aoe? :D
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
"
grogor wrote:
"
wiggin wrote:
I mean dexterity/intelligence (or melee/caster if you will) hybrid. They can roll both spell mods making them effective for spellcasters, you can't get this on maces or swords for example.

Don't ask me, ask devs. They made it this way, I am just describing current situation.

Edit: Actually my bad, it was daggers. Scratch that then;) (I was just looking at mana regeneration roll on a claw and thought they roll other caster mods as well. But this one roll doesn't justify their caster role at all, I get it;)

You already realized your mistake, but maces(sceptres) are also caster weapons.

For the sake of clarity I distinguished maces (with stun) and sceptres (with elemental damage) even though they are both labeled as 'maces' by the game. While first can roll a caster mod the other can't and when I said 'maces' that was what I was talking about.

@piotras
I understand that sentiment but saying 'marauder feels special' made me giggle. Nothing against the art but he even looks that way.
✠ ✠
well think this way if u add aoe for claws dat life leech gonna be Op for exaple u are cleaving through bunch of enemies and with every hit u leech tons of es or hp back to you u become tankier than any class due to your high life leech percentage.
Anyway im not totally against it since any other classes can acces to the claws as well i jut point out my concern.

Btw i want 360 degree cleave for dual wielders which every hand does 180 from your sides...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info