Another Rant about Reflect Damage

"
EpsiIon wrote:
"
haitu wrote:
"
EpsiIon wrote:

I can draw many things from your post, and one of many of them that are likely is that you rarely spend time gearing any of your toons exceptionally.

This isn't about map mods btw, at least read posts before slobbering on the keyboard and making a fool of yourself.

I have had several times, had to leave and reset a map becuase theres a necro mancer standing in a hoard of undead and he JUST SO HAPPENS to have reflect.

When I have some of the best gear attainable in the game, and am 15-20 levels above a map, yes, I expect to do everything save place my face on the keyboard and roll through the map.

It isnt about simply steam rolling, some ele reflect mobs are down right nearly impossible for me to kill. Absolutely. Impossible. Some take me 20 minutes to slowly fray a mob enough to pull one or two mobs off to the point that I can go after the ele reflect with a lvl 35 staff becuase just doing that nearly 5 shots me. And Im an archer. You have absolutely no point, and are utterly lacking any coherent thought under then a littlee unbridled rage at the fact that people HAVE good gear.

Hey, next time instead of insulting me for half the post, maybe you should get to the point. Slobbering over a keyboard, utterly lacking coherency, unbridled rage? I have no point? Don't turn this into some insult game with me? You want an ad hominem? Tell me how many hours have you sunk in this game to have exceptional gear for your "toons," because depending on your answer I can say something like, "You are a lonely los-" I'm done.

I have found the problem. You think you deserve play through most of the end-game content with ease. You say you have to kite mobs away to pick apart the group. This is you playing the game. It is working as intended. If you don't understand my point then you are being ignorant.

Unfortunately, most of your post is just riddled with ad hominems, so let me just leave you with this in response to my favorite attack. I am not jealous of your good gear. In fact I cringed at how defensive you are.

"
Xikorut wrote:
Except... They removed Iron Maiden from the Chaos Sanctuary because that shit was fucking stupid.

And where did it go after this? It went to the worldstone keep.

The fact is you made absolutely no point. At all. You just said get over yourself. Please. Make an argument or point to any, if possible, in your in-coherency, and I will tear it to utter shreds in a matter of slamming my face on my keyboard. Extremely mad people like you aside; I would like to comment on more appropriate and intelligent posts.

"
Burgingham wrote:
It is funny how players that can only powergrind one click their stuff are complaining here how their high end char is getting screwed over. It is not even so much the content of their posts, but the tone they convey here.

Really, it is a paradox. On the one hand you people argue in a way that you are the ultimate pros at this game, whipping up builds with insanely high damage and all. On the other hand you are too stupid to come up with a solution against reflect enemies?

That shows where you are coming from ;)

I could agree that the reflect mods are currently a bit over the top especially when they are inherent to a map's mods. That however can be explained without insulting the rest of the player base.

I have a character too that could potentially one shot himself. Yet I never do. Know why? Because I think before I act and because I have some gameplay skill (not much, but it is enough for this simple scenario). Have a secondary spell of the opposite nature of your main spell. Come up with a nice totem that can take out such mobs for you. Go for some summons. Reroll the map.

But I know that would have to get you out of your easy mode routine. One little challenge and they all come qq'ing like there is no tomorrow.

These mods are there to make you think.

P.S.: This doesn't go out to all of the people posting here (as I said there is a real issue), but to the OP and one or two more guys sitting on their high horses for no reason other than them investing more time into the game than the rest.

Reed the post script. He's talking about you! It echoes what I originally posted. I exposed you as a overly defense gaming no lifer who just insults another person. Stop trying to bully me and ignore the issue. You think you are too good for a mechanic. You are so stubborn to even see this.

This is off topic, but I just wanted to encourage you to donate at least $10 to GGG, especially with the amount of hours you probably have clocked in. It is only fair.
HC IGN: OrlandoFlorida / TheRoadBackToOriath
"
metisuneatn wrote:
"
Dashtun wrote:
the problem of reflect is not the dmg is the mechanic of it

if you fire 5k dmg arrow on a mob that is not on the screen a proper reflect mechanic should fire similar arrow towards you - so you can kite

now you just take the dmg from something you dont even know its there - which is dumb

for melee the reflect should work only if they are in melee distance,so if i use ground slam there should be no reflect dmg on me - this way you can at least do something against reflect mobs and thats kiting and utilizing other skills,you will apply different strategy to beat the mobs which is what ggg should be looking for

current system of taking dmg no matter what is not well thought out

exactly

and for elemental bow users its the lightning arrow thats giving the main issue. ur not only getting hit by ur 5k dmg on the main target, but everything around it AND the extra 2-5 mob jump it does, and you cant always see what ur hitting

My single target one shots me more frequently than LA does, although both are problematic. Even if I see the mob, I have no way to kill it unless I deactivate my auras and swap to a weaker skill/weapon. :/
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
"
Xikorut wrote:
Except... They removed Iron Maiden from the Chaos Sanctuary because that shit was fucking stupid.
Iron Maiden in CS was fine in classic. A few changes they made made it not fine:

-Lowering life leech effectiveness significantly
-Physical resistance changes
-Increased damage output relative to character effective hp in the expansion

Those factors combined made it stupid. If they had changed IM when they made these changes it still would have been fine, but they left it as it was in the old system. And it really sucked as a result.

You could actually out leech the IM damage prior to the leech nerf, but most barbarians didn't gear that way because of the drawbacks. Instead, they would just put on more leech gear than normal and play intelligently while occasionally having to wait for a curse refresh or pots to refill their hp (or killing the caster, going to town, healing, going back).

IM itself is not stupid if designed properly. Reflect should be "oh shit if I keep attacking I am going to die" and cause you to mix up your gameplay against it. It might be over tuned as-is or need some tweaks so that it never reflects more than 1/4 or 1/5 of max hp or something. I don't actually know, because I was waiting for the open beta reset to start playing PoE again.

I used to do sorc/barb CS runs in classic hardcore, and we never had an IM death.
Last edited by Watlok on Oct 7, 2012, 3:05:26 PM
I feel the elemental reflect is simply not doing enough damage and obviously needs a further buff.

My CI shadow, critical build, around 66%, ice spears, I haven't died once to reflect :)

You had approached this game like a god, attempting to rush maps like you're entering the Guiness book of records. They make you feel like one in D3 and TL2. But Chris has said that this is not how you should handle this game.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:
I feel the elemental reflect is simply not doing enough damage and obviously needs a further buff.

My CI shadow, critical build, around 66%, ice spears, I haven't died once to reflect :)

You had approached this game like a god, attempting to rush maps like you're entering the Guiness book of records. They make you feel like one in D3 and TL2. But Chris has said that this is not how you should handle this game.

Did you even read my last few posts? If I so much as -touch- the ele reflect mob, I die. I'm not a glass cannon by any means.

It reminds me of Wobbuffet from Pokemon...If you ever played competitively, you'd know that he was banned from most tournament play - he had high HP with low defenses and could reflect damage back at the attacker - there was no way to kill him without killing yourself in the process. Reflect in this game is currently much like this, at least for me. If it's on something like a Golem, they usually mitigate a lot of the damage which makes it OK. If it's on a monkey or something, I generally get killed.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Oct 7, 2012, 3:29:10 PM
"
"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:

Did you even read my last few posts? If I so much as -touch- the ele reflect mob, I die. I'm not a glass cannon by any means.

It reminds me of Wobbuffet from Pokemon...If you ever played competitively, you'd know that he was banned from most tournament play - he had high HP with low defenses and could reflect damage back at the attacker - there was no way to kill him without killing yourself in the process. Reflect in this game is currently much like this, at least for me. If it's on something like a Golem, they usually mitigate a lot of the damage which makes it OK. If it's on a monkey or something, I generally get killed.

damn there were tournaments held for pokemon?!?!?! I should have participated in them! I am a pokemon grandmaster!
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
"
Invalesco wrote:
"
"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:

damn there were tournaments held for pokemon?!?!?! I should have participated in them! I am a pokemon grandmaster!

At the risk of derailing this thread (PM me if you're actually curious about it, lol), yes there were. :D I can't stand anime, and I love Pokemon. I used to be pretty heavy into it due to the mechanics...EV/IV were interesting, then RNG abuse came around and ruined it... :(

I finally gave up on even trying to run reflect ele maps for the fact it takes way too long. I attack a group and after every 2 or 3 hits I have to wait for Es to regen before I can even attack again.

Burst elemental damage builds are hurt the most by this. I use discharge on my main with all 3 elemental types, so I cant use a resistance flask. If there are 2 mobs, about 10k damage gets reflected back on me. I need to use ethereal knives/my terrible frenzy attack to slowly kill them. If they regen health, im stuffed.

Its just a bit extreme at the moment, when physical damage builds get off so easily against physical reflect.
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
"
Mitch420 wrote:
I finally gave up on even trying to run reflect ele maps for the fact it takes way too long. I attack a group and after every 2 or 3 hits I have to wait for Es to regen before I can even attack again.

I do the same unless the other mods are too good to pass up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info