Leveling skill gems is boring.

This is what the support gem system is for - so that you can customise how you'd like your skills to behave.

Is it plausible to come up with a set of different behaviour for the 80+ skills at different levels? Wouldn't you rather have that development time spent on another set of skills so you have more choices?
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Chris wrote:
This is what the support gem system is for - so that you can customise how you'd like your skills to behave.

Is it plausible to come up with a set of different behaviour for the 80+ skills at different levels? Wouldn't you rather have that development time spent on another set of skills so you have more choices?

I say yes to your last questions. You wanna hear what wishes I have? ^^

@Chris: Personally support gem system does not solve the problem of being "un-interesting" honestly, i know support gems can change the behaviour of skills, but can't say it can handle in a way that could satisfy me and others that think in this way.

Though will try to think about this on the very next week-end, if i ever come up with solid suggestion will let you know, thanks for fast response.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
"
Chris wrote:

I think the main point they are trying to make is that the gem leveling system doesn't feel very rewarding. Each time we level a gem we do slightly more damage or w/e and that's that. Nothing else.
Also it is plausible but possibly not practical, to which we understand. However if you were to spend time making the gems customizable, instead of creating more skills, this would also accomplish the goal of having additional choices.
Now don't get me wrong, i love it the way it is now but I think it could be better, in terms of customization and reward, with this.
So many build ideas... no time....
I think what we really need is a nice animated Swoosh when you level-up a gem. The little ding is nice, but it'd be really rewarding with a nice Swoosh.
Because everyone wants everything, exactly the way they like it, all at once, right now and twice.

Honestly, I'm fine with the skill gem system as it is. It's simple, understandabe, has enough customisation, not class-restrictive. Giving the different attributes per levelup just multiplies the possibilities in a way that's neither useful nor worth the time.

You level up a gem with one character and you can't use it with the other because it's leveled diffenetly. What if you level up it wrong? Factoring in scourge for that is a big problem.

Also the mathematical count of probabilities is hugeous. Gigantifying. You'll have more than 30.000 differetly working skills at level 15 from one skill gem, provided 2 choices are offered at each level up. And then you won't like it and want a third choice, and you want the support gems to level differently and boom you suddenly have 3 million (yep) practically different skills. Well I for one would have fun coding that.
I tend to agree, I suggested something like this basically a passive for the skill gems.

Something like allocating ability at every 5 levels or at a specific level.

Just to set that specific skill apart from other specific skills regardless of generic Support gems being used.
"
Neokolzia wrote:
I tend to agree, I suggested something like this basically a passive for the skill gems.

Just to set that specific skill apart from other specific skills regardless of generic Support gems being used.

Exactly.

P/s: To Chris, email & thanks.
"
Neokolzia wrote:

Yeah this would be nice!
btw wasn't advicating for every level of customization just every 4/5 levels
So many build ideas... no time....
The leveling up process is the same for all skills.
You get a notification and you just click the skill and it just went up a level.

suggested Solution:
1- You can add a mile stone every 5 levels.
So maybe make a skill like lightning arrow go down in mana coast like 15% every time you get to level 5,10,15 and 20.
Or maybe give a higher critical chance for ground slam every 5 levels.

What you just did now is that you increased the the number of builds based on something very easy to do code wise and the players will have something to look at every time his skill levels increase.

2- make the skill level up processes an eye candy and maybe make the skill gem morph as it level up....this is very very easy to code because you have only 6 models for all the skill gems.
In fact if you asked normal players to make designs for them and post it and make a competition out of it people will love it and make it less of a burden on your art designer.

3- This is out of topic but how about adding some nodes in the skill tree "accessible ones" that can help to lower the requirement for equipping gear "including skills"
This will make players more liberal with upgrading their skill gems instead of being so afraid to upgrade and you offer them a choice of either investing in the tree or having the skills at lower level.

These are all suggestion and hope to get your feed back.

Also as long as the game in closed beta it's never too late for anything.
FFA loot = Single Player Game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info