Leveling skill gems is boring.

I'd just be happy with something as simple as others have all ready suggested: The ability to see what's being increased when it's time to level the gem up. Sorta like how you can see the requirements for next level (level and stat requirement)

Maybe have the more complex ideas being tossed around as a sorta "We might do this when we get a chance in the very far, very distant future." And have it be tied in as a side story/quest or something (just something to be like "Hey, this is available BTW. It's cool, you should try it out) that gets added a year (or two or five or what have you XD) from now when there's proper time to work on it.

Something like that would be great as a way of retaining interest in the ever changing island of Wraeclast!
"In a state of physical balance and security, power, intellectual as well as physical, would be out of place."
- H. G. Wells, The Time Machine
"
silentman wrote:
The leveling up process is the same for all skills.
You get a notification and you just click the skill and it just went up a level.

suggested Solution:
1- You can add a mile stone every 5 levels.
So maybe make a skill like lightning arrow go down in mana coast like 15% every time you get to level 5,10,15 and 20.
Or maybe give a higher critical chance for ground slam every 5 levels.

What you just did now is that you increased the the number of builds based on something very easy to do code wise and the players will have something to look at every time his skill levels increase.

2- make the skill level up processes an eye candy and maybe make the skill gem morph as it level up....this is very very easy to code because you have only 6 models for all the skill gems.
In fact if you asked normal players to make designs for them and post it and make a competition out of it people will love it and make it less of a burden on your art designer..

1. I disagree that this will add more builds since with this its just another implicit bonus not a choice. If it was a choice between mana, crit, and even some other then I'd agree it would. By making it a choice the players have more control over their character and thus their build.

Also one of my other deals with this is: "The leveling up process is the same for all skills". i see this as a kinda cop-out... and what about skills like righteous fire? araus? flame totem? these are just off the top of my head and they wouldn't benitit from some mods if they were all the same for all skills. it wouldn't be that hard to give let's say 3 choices to each skill whcih repeat every milestone.
auras:
choice 1: increased area (in addition to normal)
choice 2: 5% increased effect, 20-40 (for flat) or 2.5% (for percentage) additional mana requirement
choice 3: 5% reduced mana reserve
it's simple things like this that can add up to highly unique builds while still limiting or elinating abuse.

2 well... This is brilliant! I think everyone would pitch in!
So many build ideas... no time....
Last edited by Simony on Sep 24, 2012, 9:32:10 PM
"
Simony wrote:
"
silentman wrote:
You get a notification and you just click the skill and it just went up a level.

suggested Solution:
So maybe make a skill like lightning arrow go down in mana coast like 15% every time you get to level 5,10,15 and 20.

What you just did now is that you increased the the number of builds based on something very easy to do code wise and the players will have something to look at every time his skill levels increase.

2- make the skill level up processes an eye candy and maybe make the skill gem morph as it level up....this is very very easy to code because you have only 6 models for all the skill gems.
In fact if you asked normal players to make designs for them and post it and make a competition out of it people will love it and make it less of a burden on your art designer..

1. I disagree that this will add more builds since with.this its just another implicit bonus not a choice. If it was a choice between mana, crit, and even some other then I'd agree it would. By making it a choice the players have more control over their character and thus their build.

Most marauders just pick resolute technique as a passive but if this is added they may be tempted to actually go for a critical build instead.

As i said these are just suggestions that i'm sharing with you it doesn't have to be like this in any way.
In fact others have said some great idea also.
FFA loot = Single Player Game
"
Chris wrote:
This is what the support gem system is for - so that you can customise how you'd like your skills to behave.

Is it plausible to come up with a set of different behaviour for the 80+ skills at different levels? Wouldn't you rather have that development time spent on another set of skills so you have more choices?

Chris,

I sometimes feel you're not open to criticism sometimes. The original poster had some very good points to be honest- The skill gem levelling system is very boring actually, the torchlight 2 system is pretty good, the particular skill you level up will do something different.
"
silentman wrote:
"
Simony wrote:
"
silentman wrote:

suggested Solution:

1. I disagree that this will add more builds since with.this its just another implicit bonus not a choice. If it was a choice between mana, crit, and even some other then I'd agree it would. By making it a choice the players have more control over their character and thus their build.

Most marauders just pick resolute technique as a passive but if this is added they may be tempted to actually go for a critical build instead.

As i said these are just suggestions that i'm sharing with you it doesn't have to be like this in any way.
In fact others have said some great idea also.

that's kinda why this is brilliant. it can spawn so many different playstyles and builds and even enhance some of the older ones! ask any witch if they want the possiblity of their spells having higher crit chances and they'd say yes! but it's still a choice, a trade off, between certain mods. the possibilities are quite literally innumerable! (someones going to post a number just to spite me now) like with marders as you said will now have to choose wether to get resolute techniques or not.(cause they really didn't before... always hit but i can't crit. hmm.... well i never crit anyways! point assiagned) this will add more meaning to both the gems and the builds themselves cause they (at least the good ones) will compliment each other!

now don't bash on chris! this is a feedback, not put down, forum. they are doing a great job overall and this is still in closed beta, not even open. i think all of them have been busy with stuff like the PVP system so cut them a break.

i do hoever want to advicate this idea as a great way to improve the current system.
"
rflynn74 wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
This is what the support gem system is for - so that you can customise how you'd like your skills to behave.

Is it plausible to come up with a set of different behaviour for the 80+ skills at different levels? Wouldn't you rather have that development time spent on another set of skills so you have more choices?

Chris,

I sometimes feel you're not open to criticism sometimes. The original poster had some very good points to be honest- The skill gem levelling system is very boring actually, the torchlight 2 system is pretty good, the particular skill you level up will do something different.

TL2 has a fraction of the skills available in PoE. I do not believe it is a fair comparison.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
Okay, I know this has been suggested before, with related ideas showing up as far back as 2010.

The main obstacle to this ever showing up is not that it's a bad idea, but that it's a hell of a lot of work (design, balance, and art).

Now, I'm not sure there's anything we can do to help on the art front, but for design and balance, well, we do have a remarkable concentration of theorycrafters on the forums here... anyone up for it?
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
Honestly, I don't mind the system as is. I think it would be cool to have upgraded visuals/particle effects every 5 or 10 levels though. It would just feel good to see your abilities progressing in power visually.
Last edited by Calanthe on Sep 24, 2012, 11:05:21 PM
"
Skivverus wrote:

The main obstacle to this ever showing up is not that it's a bad idea, but that it's a hell of a lot of work (design, balance, and art).

Now, I'm not sure there's anything we can do to help on the art front, but for design and balance, well, we do have a remarkable concentration of theorycrafters on the forums here... anyone up for it?

I'm definitely down for this! when i'm not playing this game I'm thinking about it... perhaps that's not something to be glad about but it's one of the curses of an overactive mind. lol

also look at silentman suggested for that. #2

"
Calanthe wrote:
Honestly, I don't mind the system as is. I think it would be cool to have upgraded visuals/particle effects every 5 or 10 levels though. It would just feel good to see your abilities progressing in power visually.

they can do this any time regardless of the system n place. it can even be upgraded along with our proposed changes. visual effects are nice and all but it won't change anything about gems besides how they look and frankly, so long as it doesn't look terrible, who cares how it looks? would you rather have better looks and an ok game or a better game and an ok looks?
Last edited by Simony on Sep 24, 2012, 11:15:01 PM
I've been playing a bit of TL2 lately, and the skill lvling feature of TL2 is really nice. To be fair though, each class only has 9 skills i think, so as chris pointed out, that'd be a real pain to do in POE.

That being said, I would love to see POE adopt the suggestions others have made in this thread, such as giving us three different directions to take a skill when it lvls. Even if the choices on all skills are the same (e.g. more dmg, less mana, or lower stat requirements)this would give us so many more build combos. Or, let us choose an "upgrade" every 5 lvls like TL2 does. Granted that would take a lot longer to implement than stat adjustments I'm sure. Maybe this is also something that only "skill" gems aka not supports should have, but I'd be willing to delay open beta for something that adds this much more complexity to an already great game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info