0.9.12j Patch Notes

ctrl+alt+click? seriously? are we on a console controller? please let us bind that action to what ever we want!
A lot of players here seem not understand that this is a long going bug and not something introduced with weapon swapping, that just made it easier to "exploit" it.

You have always been able to activate an aura and then simple remove the gem from you equipment, even throw the gem on the ground if you wanted to and still have the active aura.

Sow how would the ppl crying about it feel about if I was using 6 auras and then didn't even own the skill gem anymore because I destroyed them? You have to see how silly that is...

Also everyone was surviving and making powerful characters before swapping was introduced so no you don't have to have them.

Now that auras stay active through zones it's not even _that_(ofc still a little bit) much of a inconvenience with the hotbar. I use 3 auras and my portal gem on T, casting the auras and them put portal there takes like 5 seconds and now I don't have to do it again until I log out.

However I think it would be a nice idea to have a second set of skill binds on you weapon swap. This way you still need to put the auras in your armour but you could put the binds for it on the swapped weapon set.

With all due respect to the Devs, they should have disallowed xp gain on inactive gems when they fixed the aura-swap bug.

Gems gain experience because when they are in your active gear, they are essentially being used to progress your character.

Gems which aren't actively being used to progress your character shouldn't receive xp then.

Would have been best to apply this to the aura fix. Just get all that pain 'n anguish out of the way in one patch.

2 cent rant.
Think this patch sounds great on the aura work!
Basics of how to play (by Malice): tinyurl.com/72wrafn
Walkthrough for Act I and II (by KrapnoV) : tinyurl.com/7w3a3gd
Mechanics - how the game works (by Malice) : tinyurl.com/6p4zbl5
Crafting Guide (by Invalesco) : bit.ly/craftpoe
Mechanics videos (by Eztheal) : bit.ly/UTwFAV
"
C4ph wrote:
Wow I cannot believe how inconsistent it is to not allow 2nd Slot Auras to work, but to alow 2nd Slot gems to gain experience.....this is bullshit.
Either you should allow the 2nd Slot to be of use, or delete it entirely. I really dislike your idea of disabling aura-swapping. You call it a bug? I'd call it a well-designed feature.
I mean the fact that a Dualwield melee champ embraces his mysterious magic 2-Hand staff to awaken powerful auras that support him sounds logic and fun to me ;)
You want to redirect the discussion to wether there are enough sockets or skillslots? Well thats a good idea.

Assume this example of a typical character

a) I am using a CI Dagger-Shield Shadow.
b) I use Elemental Hit for single target damage on my right click. (4-Linked with Weapon Elemental Damage, Culling Strike, Faster Attacks and Mana Leech in my Helmet)
c) I use Elemental Weakness Curse on my Mouse wheel (4-Linked with Faster Casting, Increased Area of Effect and Increased Duration in my Gloves...you get the idea)
d) I Use my Main-AOE Attack LS on my left click (5-Linked Chest)
e) Furthermore I use Whirling Blades for Escape on my Q(4-Linked Boots)

Now I have only 6 Socketsleft on my character to accommodate

1. Bloodrage
2. Portal
3. Phaserun (Linked with increased duration).
4. Detonate dead (linked with Totem Support)

No Sockets left and..... oh wait I am still missing my 4 Auras which I had linked with reduced Mana Cost in my second slot.

But how do you want to change the amount of available sockets?

Here is a few suggestions: (with pros and cons)

Increase the number of slots available on Helmets, Gloves and Shoes to 6
- requires design overhaul since so far slots were aligned to amount of squares an item uses in inventory
+ allows for accommodation and meaningful linking of more skills and auras
- might require more balancing because of the possibility of gaining up to 4 6-linked skills

Increase the Number of slots available on one handed weapons and offhands to 6 (shields + quivers) - so far the number of llots one could get in both weapon slots was 6 (either 3+3 or 6)
- requires design overhaul since so far slots were aligned to amount of squares an item uses in inventory
- might require rebalancing of 2 Handed Weapons (Except bows) (e.g. by developing Offhands for 2-hand weapons to

Develop a new form of Slots for Auras (and Supports ) only (e.g. establishing aura slots outside of items could be named “soul sockets”)
- requires major designing /programming

Re-enable the effect of the second weapon slot

+ allows for accommodation and meaningful linking of auras / lvling additional gems
+ does not require major overhaul or balancing of any kind
+ simply call it a feature not a bug!

And now, just think for your self which of these solutions is the lowest hanging fruit....

I totally agree with : "You call it a bug? I'd call it a well-designed feature."

The ability to be able to use blood magic and auras on a item then swap was super fun.

You destroyed my character and yes it is a huge nerf...

@TheJMJ your character is not OP at all, just a normal mara. We don't care if you can activate 7 auras and it is not related to the topic. I can activate more auras than you and I don't even really need to swap items. In hard maps the fact you can activate many auras doesn't change the gameplay & you still have a mana/life limit. If you reserve too much mana, when your skill cost 52 mana you just can't spam it quickly and you'll die. No need to explain for life reserve - chaos dmg will kill you :-D
Okay maybe with Kaom plate +10 000 hp blood magic and auras are OP but well Devs can fix that unique item.

Conclusion :

You're fixing something that was fun (a bit like what you did with the Maelstrom of chaos, even if I agree that the map system is an interesting but still broken idea) without even discussing it with the entire community.
I challenge you Chris, to do a survey on the forum and to send gold messages ingame like you do for "special events" (so everyone can see it) and we will see if the majority want the auras to be fixed.
You should do that also with the resists and the Maelstrom of Chaos...
So maybe lot of players will feel less ignored and frustrated...

Last edited by Vaphobos on Sep 21, 2012, 2:14:44 PM
Well the game is turning more and more away from what i liked about it. My aura swap set is now completely useless, and we are now generally forced into a less versatile build, its almost like its turning into "that other game". The more constricted we get due to gems, the less and less viable builds there are going to be, making the more gem skills they are releasing pointless.
"
It's no longer possible to have auras active when their gems are on your inactive weapon set.

fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
wow look like my marauder cant use auras anymore, great
Just an annoyance.

I used to do the "select aura, hit Q, select another aura, hit Q" tactic until alternate weapon came out. Because now I can just hit X, Q, W, and X again and gain the exact same effect without changing a hotbar key.

But that's okay, as long as I can still use my portal gem on my swap, though additional hotbar key would prove more convenient.
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
"
maxie12 wrote:
So what?

Hey, you know what's not in beta but now thanks to this aura change has almost identical mechanics and gameplay? Diablo 3. If I wanted to play some pocky game where I could only utilise skills that the designers deign to allow me to use, I'd be playing that.

Edit in re: the above post - If it ain't broke, but is totally build-enabling, then don't fix it.

It was completely broken and build stifling.

Swapped weapon auras forced players into hybrid stat builds to get all the best auras because they were allowed to do that with aura swapping.

Now, player's will need to make interesting choice with the limited sockets that they have and amount of additional passives they need to invest to make hybrid aura specs work.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info