Arguments Pro Auction House

I fail to see what is easy about this game. Are any of you level 100? I know I'm not. That means the game is working as intended. It is not easy. It is f-cking hard. It is a massive time sink (as intended). A fun time sink, but a time sink none the less (aren't all games?). The game is not about getting some gear on a character and killing lunaris piety over and over (I guess to some it could be), but about progressing through all the content available and being able to maintain that content. Are all of you running 75+ maps on a daily basis? can an auction house make more maps, and thus more content available for all to play? The answer is no, it cannot.

What sets this game apart from others like it, lets just say D3 since it's the most recent/obvious comparison, is that in D3 it hardly took anytime at all to get to lvl 60 and get through all the content, and continue running that content over and over, day after day. The difficulty was finding the best loot to make that process faster. It got so bad as we all should know, that unless an item dropped with perfectly rolled stats it was basically vendor trash. We'd run the same spots in act 3 over and over and hope for lucky unique drops, not really even bothering with rares.

Now lets look at PoE. Can I get through all the content in a few days? No, I can't. Killing Piety in merciless and getting your 2 passives is not "all the content", it's just the beginning. It's where killing diablo in nightmare (hell? I don't even remember those damn difficulty names) was. PoE has an endgame system past this though, and one that doesn't just give item rewards, but meaninful level rewards. It gives variability as well, will not just many different maps, but ever changing monsters, mods, and spawn in those maps. It is also the only way to reliably get any experience after a certain level. These maps are hard to earn and hard to maintain. They cost a lot of currency that is hard to acquire.

Now to the auction house. If I can trade all of my loot to people who may want it more easily, that doesn't really diminish their ability to engage in endgame play because end game play isn't about a gear/skill cap as much as it is about a currency/judgement cap. This is why there are plenty of highish level players with very nice gear who sit around town all day trying to get group invites because they can't run content without others allowing them to.

Once again. You cannot make more maps appear no matter how much currency you have, or what gear you wear. You can only engage in the system the way it was designed. Roll good mods, run maps, and hope to get lucky. An auction house will help people get gear, it will help them trade currency types more easily, but it will not help them complete the game to the extent that it did in say D3. You will still get people who lose all their maps and have to start over because they just refuse to learn how the mechanics work and put the time in.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info