Arguments Pro Auction House

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
HellGauss wrote:
"
If the seller gets a net of 1 Alteration after taxes, you're still going to see mass low-end item spam in any auction house.

I (logically) agree. However, as we will not see a lot of buyer who want to spend 1 Alt for trash, there will be only very few low-end items. If taxes are involved (both on seller and a little bit on buyer), you will buy an item only because you need it as an upgrade for your build. You will hardly buy an item (or a stock of orbs) hoping to sell it for more, because it is extremely difficult due to taxes. So the vendor is still very appetible. Consider also that 99% of the items sold to vendor would not be accepted by players even if they was for free.
Let me clarify something: any gear with a market value of 1 Chaos or less is a low-end item. Not even mid-grade, that would be more like Chaos to 1 Exalt.

Currently, sellers find buyers for at most 5% of their sub-Chaos items; the other 95% meet their end at the vendor. Which means that, unless you have about a 95% tax on such transactions, you would see a flood of low-end items available on the market, and the subsequent death of low-level self-found.

This already exists with uniques. how simiple is it to trade a 5-10 chaos from 1-70 and "beat" the game with uniques. Let me be clear about this once more. I can put everything in my stash tabs in a shop. I can put buy out prices and tell people how to contact me and I can sell all my crap in the same way an auction house would allow. The reasons why this doesn't work though are first, most people don't know about poe.xyz or how to use it. Second, contacting sellers is tedious and lots of things are outdated/people aren't active. Third, it requires multiple transactions to move all these things and that is also tedious. There is also no clearly good way to trade orbs for what you might actually need to use, not just need for purchasing gear.

These are market failures we would never accept in our daily lives, yet somehow it's supposed to be a fun and interest part of a video game experience? I play this game (like I hope most everyone else does) for entertainment value. My game goals may be very different from other peoples, but my ultimate goal is to enjoy what it is I do in Wraeclast. Adding frustration through clunky, inconvenient trading structure does not meet the goal of adding entertainment value to the game. it's not about making the game easier, it's about making an aspect of the game we can't avoid and all require more accessible to the benefit of everyone who plays the game.
@Slider: You are confusing temporary frustration with permanent non-fun.

Example 1: You are designing a lamp. If it's a normal lamp for everyday use, it's a simple, efficient design. But what about a game lamp, designed to be a puzzle in-and-of-itself? You either wouldn't want an obvious switch, or you'd want one that didn't work. You'd likely want a hidden compartment of some kind for the user to discover. Perhaps some internal gyroscope so the lamp only turns on when upside down. Game design is the opposite of normal product design; it's not about removing barriers, it's about creating new, engaging barriers. This is why a Rubick's Cube is a son-of-a-bitch.

Example 2: At times, this game is hard, and that's frustrating; sometimes we wish the game were just easier, or the death penalty less severe. However, if the game were as easy as we wish, ultimately it would be too much of a faceroll and we'd get bored with it. Temporarily frustrating the player is necessary to preserve the long-term fun of the game.

Example 3: Trading is often frustrating, for the reasons you list; however, if it were just easier, the game would (further) devolve into a market simulator, further shifting wealth-building emphasis towards trading and away from farming, aka actually playing the game. So frustrating trading actually leads to an overall more pleasant game experience, once the player finally gives up on trying too hard to trade low-value items.

A lot of suggestion-makers look for solutions that would make these low-to-mid items more tradeable; however, the real solution to the problem is for the game to consistently frustrate efforts to do so, because it's important that farming remains viable. Your frustration isn't a sign of things being broken; it's a sign of a healthy game economy, and needs no fixing whatsoever.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Currently, sellers find buyers for at most 5% of their sub-Chaos items; the other 95% meet their end at the vendor. Which means that, unless you have about a 95% tax on such transactions, you would see a flood of low-end items available on the market, and the subsequent death of low-level self-found.

This is quite arbitrary. Do you have some statistic or it is your own experience?

What is a 1-chaos item? The item which can be sold in chat in less than 1 min? Or the item can be sold in chat in a 4 hour spam session? A few days ago I try to sell a Mid-rolled searing touch on chat for 2 chaos, then i lowered to 1. After 5 min i give up and go to vendor.

Consider that if you sell 5% of such items, it does not mean that in a perfect market you would be able to sell all of them, since the market would be saturated. Also, if the buyer has the intuition that the item is worth only one chaos, he will probably be the only buyer, so in an auction he will try to bid less. A 1-chaos item would probabily go to the vendor, which also pay immediately.

I think that a 20/40% tax to the seller + fixed fee for selling (depending on how much you want to keep the item in auction) + 2% tax on bidder + the risk of the item to be destroyed if not sold is more than sufficient. Of course these value% can be adjusted after testing.

In your examples you are confusing 'challenging' with 'difficult'. Try to solve a rubick cube with crappy mechanics, or to get all 6 with four dice in a game where rolling dice is the only game, that's difficult. I would like to design an AH which allow to:

- Remove the 'difficult' part of trading
- Make 'difficult' to accumulate wealth through trading

Roma timezone (Italy)
"
HellGauss wrote:

What is a 1-chaos item? The item which can be sold in chat in less than 1 min? Or the item can be sold in chat in a 4 hour spam session? A few days ago I try to sell a Mid-rolled searing touch on chat for 2 chaos, then i lowered to 1. After 5 min i give up and go to vendor.

You tried selling for 5 minutes and then gave up?

Did you try posting the item in the selling forum?

See the problem is, most people like you want an auction house because you aren't willing to put the work in to sell/buy an item. You don't use all the resources available to you, don't know how to market your item, so you give up and complain on the forums.

Scrotie is right that unless you had a ridiculous tax much higher then you are presenting, that the item search for low levels would be wrecked. An AH in general ruins item finding for players, even if they agree with the idea in the beginning.

I see it all the time, players beg for an AH. Then when the AH ruins the gratification of the item search, the players then complain that the game is boring and pressure the development to push out more content. They have no idea that the very thing they asked for is the cause of their boredom.
"
Nolimitation wrote:
"
HellGauss wrote:

You tried selling for 5 minutes and then gave up?

See the problem is, most people like you want an auction house because you aren't willing to put the work in to sell/buy an item. You don't use all the resources available to you, don't know how to market your item, so you give up and complain on the forums.

Scrotie is right that unless you had a ridiculous tax much higher then you are presenting, that the item search for low levels would be wrecked. An AH in general ruins item finding for players, even if they agree with the idea in the beginning.

I see it all the time, players beg for an AH. Then when the AH ruins the gratification of the item search, the players then complain that the game is boring and pressure the development to push out more content. They have no idea that the very thing they asked for is the cause of their boredom.
`

The average player will not complain about an auction house . People that enjoy spending hours searching indexers, spamming chat , scamming newbs , and making elaborate artwork filled trade posts are a very loud minority.
"
The average player will not complain about an auction house . People that enjoy spending hours searching indexers, spamming chat , scamming newbs , and making elaborate artwork filled trade posts are a very loud minority.
You obviously were not paying attention to Diablo 3 earlier this year. The game's dev team even admitted it was a mistake.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 17, 2013, 4:55:26 PM
"
"
Nolimitation wrote:
`

You know he's technically agreeing with you, right? Most players won't complain about an auction house - rather, they'll complain that the game is too easy, or too short, or both.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
"
Nolimitation wrote:

No, i did not. And this is the key point of all my arguments.

Also, even if i did, it would not have been sufficient. I would also had feed my post with a proper amount of 'bump' and '^' and prayed RNG gods to make the right player read my post at the right moment.

I do not want bumpers and spammers to have > chance than me in selling items. It is not so 'challenging' to bump a thread each time. Maybe i could write a bot to do that.
Roma timezone (Italy)
"
HellGauss wrote:
"
Nolimitation wrote:
No, i did not. And this is the key point of all my arguments.
Actually, it's key to destroying any credibility your argument had.

At least try using the tools GGG provides before suggesting replacements.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 17, 2013, 5:54:08 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Actually, it's key to destroying any credibility your argument had.

At least try using the tools GGG provides before suggesting replacements.

I did try with other items.

Example:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/440609

Posted on June, 27. Make a few bumps immediately after, then once in a week. Then someone probabily used poexyz and make a ridiculos offer. That involontary bump (or maybe the fact that i set a b/o... i really do not know) make me find a buyer for the shield for a proper price.

I'm pretty sure that if i had bumped 3-4 times a day i would have sell for 2x price and 4x faster.
Roma timezone (Italy)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info