Maps for end game isn't enough

I really think that maps for end game just isn't enough. While it certainly adds to the replayability to the game, I don't think very long term this is enough to keep everyone interested.

I feel a system that has random dungeon spawns, and random very difficult boss mobs would make this game have a ridiculous amount of replaybility other than just maps.

Please discuss.
Funny, I thought maps are exactly that... various area types inhabited by random enemies. On top of that, you can roll mods on your mods to add even more variety if you want it.

Sooo... What would random dungeons do that maps can't?
Considering that this is beta and that this is not really the end game since they will be adding new Acts down the road, I would not put too much worry about it. I don't think we have seen much about the true end game yet.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
"
Considering that this is beta and that this is not really the end game since they will be adding new Acts down the road, I would not put too much worry about it. I don't think we have seen much about the true end game yet.

I sincerely hope you are right, that maps are just something to keep us busy til act3 and better content is available, because IMO they will get dry and boring very soon if that's all we have to level up on. I can't imagine trying to level up to 90s using this map system. Now if they made maps that went up to level 79 for example, with how difficult it is to upgrade maps to even level 69,you'd never be able to play them anyway unless they upped the droprate. And if that happened, it wouuld be too easy to get to 90+ since some people are approaching mid 80s already with this system.

If maps are truly the real endgame GGG has envisioned for this game then I have to say i'm dissapointed. I'd rather see something like the 'bottomless pit' idea or whatever that someone proposed in another thread where you can keep going and the content gets harder and harder until you have to reset or just die. This way it's put upon the players ability and build to play more challenging content appropriate to their skill and level instead of relying on RNG map drops.
Beyeser - 77 Marauder
FuzzyClam - 80 Witch
FishyTaco - 74 Witch
Last edited by Badmotorfinger on Sep 12, 2012, 12:14:42 PM
Well I hope so, because overall I just don't think the maps are enough.
Well we know for a fact they are working on act 3. This will increase the base content by at the least 1/3. I also suspect there is unreleased content for act 1 and 2 also. (Many areas show transition places that are not implemented).
IMHO maps are an absolutely excellent end game option. Remember that once the game is "finished" as far as balancing, coding and testing is concerned the devs will have heaps more time to focus on content. And maps are an excellent method of easy content delivery. All they have to do is create a new tile set, some new monsters and add a new map into the drop list, then bam we can have new re-playable content.
I predict that in 2-3 years time, those of us still playing PoE will look back at these days of only 2 acts as the stone ages while we work on trying to combine our new level level 105 maps and get one of over one hundred types of maps available for level 90+ in the hopes of finding the newest "item level 100+" required super skills that was released in the monthly mega patch.
I think PvP will be the main endgame.
Open beta is still BETA.
Last edited by MorriganGrey on Sep 12, 2012, 4:02:26 PM
Ever heard of pvp ?

edit : ninjaed
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Sep 12, 2012, 4:04:37 PM
I'm quoting the last part of the Map developer diary:

"
Of course, Maps aren’t the only thing to do in Path of Exile’s end-game. There are plenty of other exciting options for high level players:

-Boss runs (the Act Two boss is being added in 0.9.11 as well)
-Farming high monster density areas for items (like the Fellshrine Ruins)
-PvP (arenas are coming in 0.9.12)
-Playing special league events (we run these weekly but are ramping them up as we approach Open Beta)
-Trading/economy
-Twinking alternate characters
-Guild events (in Open Beta or Release)

Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
"
Sony_Black wrote:
I'm quoting the last part of the Map developer diary:

"
Of course, Maps aren’t the only thing to do in Path of Exile’s end-game. There are plenty of other exciting options for high level players:

-Boss runs (the Act Two boss is being added in 0.9.11 as well)
-Farming high monster density areas for items (like the Fellshrine Ruins)
-PvP (arenas are coming in 0.9.12)
-Playing special league events (we run these weekly but are ramping them up as we approach Open Beta)
-Trading/economy
-Twinking alternate characters
-Guild events (in Open Beta or Release)

I disagree with the boss farming runs. The way this game is designed, boss farm runs are pretty much a waste of time. Once you get about 5-10 maps you won't even be bothering with any boss farming runs at all. IN fact, you wont even really be access the normal content within the Acts 1, 2 and 3 when it comes out because there's no real point.

My point is this; This game needs to have not just MAPS for content for fighting, it needs to have very random LARGE UBER monsters that can spawn in random zones. Diablo 2 had UBERS

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Uber_Diablo

UBER Diablo , Uber DIABLO would appear when a specific amount of a particular item was sold. This is just an example, and I'm not saying that GGG should do exactly this, but they should certainly entertain ideas like this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info