[0.9.12] Show us your interesting characters and be featured on our YouTube channel!

"
indczn wrote:
"
prawda wrote:
"
indczn wrote:
Name: Infy_BA
Class: Templar, Shock nova Variant
Type: Hardcore
Level: 53

I'm also building a shock nova templar right now. Level 53 on Hardcore as well :D

I'll post it soon here, as i'm doing several things a bit different. But i first want to see how fast my Bossa_Nova can clear maps.

I saw you say that which is why i went ahead and posted mine :)

Curious to see what you did for your build.

Haha very good :D

Bossa_Nova Level 58 Templar

As already mentioned this champion is a Shock Nova Templar. He has shock nova 2 times, one with increased area of effect and reduced mana, the other one with concentrated effect and faster casting. If I had 4L both would have reduced mana and faster cast.

Not less important than Shock Nova on this build is Shockwave Totem. I haven't seen any better synergy in this game than Shockwave Totem and Shock Nova. When facing a mob 2 totems are put in the middle of the mob, the knockback push them circular away from the center. While the totems do that I run to the totems and then i cast my novae. The totems are supported with added lightning damage. The reason is that lightning damage creates shock status ailments on enemies because of the passive nodes. AoE nodes are picked as well, so everything improving the nova also improves these totems.

Zombies support this also very well. Why?
First of all you need a spell to clear corpses, but you also want a bit of this overpoweredness summoners have. What do you have to pay for it? Just a single point in Minion Instability. You only have 3 Zombies but they got 1800 Life, and exploding packs a good punch together with elemental weakness (which is an obvious must have on this build) and the shock ailments the enemies hopefully have when zombies explode. I don't know whether the explosion of zombies benefits from AoE nodes but zombies are more important when clearing unique monsters and bosses anyway. It's a typical situation when the mob is cleared but the annoying rare or unique still has 1/2 of his life. Zombies are dead but shockwave totems continue to push the boss to the wall. Casting new zombies and allocating shock ailments on the boss help a lot. He punches the zombies to death and receives big loads of damage.

Before I mention every single ability that is used and nobody really cares about, here is a picture showing the small nova with high damage. Skill Tree and Items follow.

Skill Tree

Items:
Spoiler
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

I don't want to lose many words on items. Of course there are better items. 4L on 3 or 4 items would be cool. More Armor as well. But as long as I get full res and 2k hp I won't bitch around.

second weapon slots and potions:
Spoiler
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

The second weapons are only for leveling and carrying other gems.

Other abilities that aren't used as often as nova/totem/zombie
Spoiler

Decoy Totem:
It is useful for very fast mobs like serpents or bosses that deal too much damage with 1 shot (Brutus for example). Decoy Totem is also good to gather monsters at 1 spot and cast nova from afar. Still in most cases shockwave totems are better.

Molten Shell:
Displays with 3k DPS. As with the minion instability this also packs a punch when shock ailments and elemental weakness is applied before. A big drawback is that not enough armor and block is at hand to trigger Molten Shell reliably. Still it is nice, especially for monkeys, because you can run into mobs with a mad cry and set off a huge blast before things get too dangerous. This is best with increased duration and increased area of effect support gem. In some situations gems are respecced to have this (that's why there is increased duration on 2nd slot).

Elemental Weakness:
It's obvious. Temporal Chains would be cool for stopping monsters from running at you but shockwave totem does this job better so the extra damage by EW is preferred.

Rejuvenation Totem:
It gives life to the champion and his zombies. Useful at Vaal, Kraityn, Oak and so on. Also useful with Molten Shell.

Remote Mine:
Can be combined with shock nova (and concentrated effect) to put 5 mines at the ground (It's a TRAP!). Great for instant kill of Fairgreaves dudes and the like. For normal playing not very useful.
Another way is to remote mine the shockwave totems. This increases the DPS from 400 to 640 at cost of remote placing. This is only useful if the monsters are so strong that you cannot put shockwave totems in the middle.

This shows stats and the radius of the large nova. I hope one can see the huge difference between the large and the small nova.

Auras
Spoiler

With Eldritch Battery many auras can be used. Discipline and Clarity are obvious. Haste and Grace are nice. These are the reason why the +30 dex node has been picked. Purity is an option but 40% mana reservation is just ridiculous.

Picking eldritch battery is not a must. The build works also without it but it is just cooler with EB. It would be cool if one could get Iron Reflexes with grace but it's not possible ;-)

How well does this build perform on maps?
Spoiler

Before I picked Eldritch Battery I did a run on Peninsula Island. It took 8 minutes to reach and kill the boss and 15 minutes to clear the whole map. At the end big packs of flicker spiders showed up. One would sure think that these are the biggest threat to a shock nova caster. And yes they are a big threat :D But with decoy totem and shockwave totem they can be held busy quite well. The biggest threat to this champion was Oak.

Here you can see a mionion exploding on that map and they are shocked to the bones!

I'm pretty sure with Eldritch Battery the map can be done even faster. Still it is great that a Level 58 champion can mow down a map that fast.

After I picked Eldritch Battery I did a map with Elemental Equilibrium. You can see a Screenshot here:

The added lightning damage support gem gets exchanged to added fire. This lets the shockwave totems deal fire damage thus lowering the lightning resistance of everything it hits. I'm discussing this, because I thought about taking Elemental Equilibirium myself. When i could take EE somehwere in the 40ies, I thought it won't benefit my build because my nova has a much greater radius than the shockwave totems. Ice nova totems had also been dismissed because they were just useless. The trigger radius of shockwave totems is too low and I doubt that it is increased with AoE nodes (the damage radius is increased).
When I did this map, it was a good decision to get fire shockwave totems but still without EE it would have been easier.

The build in numbers:
Small Nova 1755 DPS
Large Nova 861 DPS
Zombies 1866 Life
Shockwave Totem 380 DPS

2332 Life
756/1684 Mana

Further ideas:

Unfortunately I was not able to trade a Saffrell's Frame. The shield that gives +5 maximum resistances. Before I picked Eldritch Battery I had +5 max res node. And I was thinking:
"I have 80% res. With Saffrell's I get 85%. I have Inner Force, so Purity will give me +3% max res (or is it rounded down always?) and drinking a ruby flask will give 13% instead of 10% max fire res. In either case the sum is 100%. So Righteous Fire is an option. This would give at least +60% spell damage and my AoE nodes would improve Righteous Fire as well.
If it works this way, I could get the 6 increased buff duration nodes and 1 ruby flask will last for over 9 seconds then. With 3 ruby flasks and 2 dispel burning flasks this build could be "supported" by righteous fire.

As long as I don't get Saffrell's Frame, I will get Elemental Adaption again and go for Marauders +15% resistanes and HP.

Thanks GGG for making such a great game that allows so many awesome builds.
http://www.roadatlas.eu
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Chris, you should start using that animated GGG logo on these videos. I mean the one at the start of this trailer
"
Malice wrote:
Chris, you should start using that animated GGG logo on these videos. I mean the one at the start of this trailer

I second that motion
Video #11 is live! I really liked this one :D

Definitely looking forward to doing the next one.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Chris wrote:

Yes, this is definitely the best one i have seen so far.
Very interesting built.

We should name that built "Fireman".

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
Last edited by starsg on Sep 23, 2012, 6:21:55 AM
"
starsg wrote:
"
Chris wrote:

Yes, this is definitely the best one i have seen so far.
Very interesting built.

We should name that built "Fireman".

Yeah the build is pretty good and I'd be cool to know if my idea with Inner Force for 100% fire res works. This could be pretty interesting for RF builds. Inner Force is of course only awesome if 100% fire res can be kept up. Otherwise it increases burning damage by 30% as well.
http://www.roadatlas.eu
Nice build. I somehow hoped, that this char will be shown because I wanted to build such char myself, just before i red, that someone alrdy did it. And now I can see the result. Thx for that ;)

Objective was to use certain unique's to create a melee tank. One that could tank Vaal merciless and tank maps, even rhoas and goatmen. It can.

It also turned out be extremely fun, an utter clickfest with no time to think, just do.

Hardcore - MindMeR
Marauder - Lvl 61

In short

Combat Skills
Elemental Hit (Faster attack, Weapon elemental damage, Blood Magic)
Tempest shield (Increased Critical Strikes, Reduced Mana)
Vitality + Determination / Haste
Enduring Cry (I do have immortal call but have never had to use it)
Leap slam (Getaway)
Some reduced mana gems

Items - Unique
Volls armor (Optional really, but so much fun with all the crits)
Brightbeak (Optional, anything that hits fast for elemental hit is sufficient)
Crest of Perandus (Key item)
Stone of Lazhwar (Key item)

To summarize
3.2K hp
80% resists
Almost no armor
Almost no evasion
69% chance to block
43% chance to block spells
2K dps (Enhanced further by Elemental Equalibrium and shock)

Special things about the build:
Mana is already ruined by volls, makes it perfect to run 3x % mana reserve auras on it.
Attacks are done by blood magic.
Works fine without 5L/6L.
There are very few points spent on offensive points, strictly speaking they are only 6.
Its offense and defense are tied together, the stronger one gets the stronger the other gets.
Only physical damage should be able to slay it.

The build is still unfinished, will get stronger in either direction with points.

How does it work?
9% crit strike on weapon, 12% crit strike on tempest shield
Once either activates Volls armor adds a power charge, this continues until:
22% crit strike on weapon, 24% crit strike on tempest shield

This means every 1.5 seconds or so you deal a critical strike
Every 1/4 block, something becomes shocked

In full swing it runs 5 endurance charges and 4 power charges.

Synergizes very well.

Additional thoughts.
- Conduit gloves is my next test
- Knockback on tempest shield is funny
- More dmg output can be reached, it could cost the EE keystone. Hatred + high phys weapon could work with it.
- 5/6L Armor could greatly increase damage output or survival with lifeleech.

Skill Tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEAAJbF5wGWWiYEjqecBlcPbAeMEywIesKcCqgxHQsvNugPjoKdERDhnhIhjyMVIeEEFl5YaRfhFA8akfLaMZNJ90cR8IpKtkyLS68_l09pLUVXruDHWXzpoVs8BoxdC8EpXVWy5mJHuPJn6TLUeE0Bun-qyB7NsSBX0TQ918vVF8_TP_B7u4pAGaI3qHabb0JK8N1IdLxH3uCkEYDFoeaENd1Hi83kr9wOgMkz1aoFOlbzR3cYk4cffqtlVdKGc4sP7FxsnPUtu7yt6XGu0Xv46JptiUfklJJQvfupcf8_eiP_KKUOwOZYb4qFdD30NCX0kP58vfhfsjPi48v_

Items
Spoiler
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Last edited by mind on Sep 24, 2012, 12:14:44 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I would like to submit my lvl 72 Duel Wield flickering frenzy duelist named: Lachdanian

The passive tree is physical and crit passive heavy. I've taken most of the crit passives from the shadow.

He is unique in that his versatility is unmatched. He excels in both indoor and outdoor areas. He can take down bosses quickly, and uses decoy totem to completely avoid their burst damage for a short time. He can take on large groups of enemies spread over a large or small areas, and can quickly dispatch scattered groups of enemies.

I haven't seen a single duelist in end-game multiplayer parties. I'm usually the only duelist in a party full of witches. Maybe one shadow or ranger, and maybe a few mauraders. Templars don't exist!

5.6k dps flickerstrike with Frenzy is the most fun skill synergy to play with in the game. I also use cleave, dual strike, and lightning strike in specific tactical situations.

My cleave is supported by increased aoe dmg, Crit dmg, and faster attacks.

I use Cleave has an ultra-short range, high dps AOE. Since I have such a fast attack speed, I quickly alternate between frenzy, flicker strike, and cleave as I am telporting around. This provides fast paced gameplay; the combat feels fluid if you have good reflexes and timing. Carpal tunnel anyone?

For long range AOE, I use lightning strike supported by lesser mult projectiles, increased critical strikes, and piercing (or mana leech on reduced mana regen maps).

Dual Strike and Flicker strike are supported by Increased crit dmg, faster attacks, and increased physical dmg.

I cast critical weakness on groups of enemies to increase my dmg output with lightning strike and cleave even further.

I usually use Decoy totem and Phase run supported by faster cast. I switch out decoy totem for rejuvination totem on maps where regen is decreased.

Faster casting is absolutely crucial for a fast attack build, because you dont want to get hit trying to cast your totem, and you want movement to be as fluid as possible with phase run.

I cast phase run right before using flicker strike, to get my flicker strike dps from 5.6k up to 9.4k. This is especially powerful against high hp rare mobs, super uniques and bosses. The power is amplified further with casting critical weakness, and drinking a diamond flask.

My auras of choice are Grace and Hatred.

Casting crit weakness then spamming frenzy, then phase run, then flicker strike, then cleave, then frenzy, then phase run, flicker, cleave, etc. all in rapid succession is extremely addicting since I avoid getting hit sometimes. I noticed that I can do this for hours without being bored.

Last edited by nihlanth on Sep 24, 2012, 1:00:59 PM
Submiting my Elemental Equilibrium AoE Knockback Templar build.

Build based on lv60.

It works by using a one-two AoE combo using Sweep (with elemental damage from Anger/Wrath) and Ice Nova. It is a very good build that doesnt need hard-to-find uniques or expensive gear, since most of the damage come from the sinergy between skill gems and the passive tree.

What you will need:
Sweep with Knockback + Weapon Elemental Damage + Increased Area of Effect (optional: Added Fire/Lightning Damage, Faster Attacks)
Ice Nova with Iron Will + Increased Area of Effect (optional: Faster Casting)
Clarity, Anger and Wrath auras + Reduced Mana
Enduring Cry
Glacial Hammer with Weapon Elemental Damage + Knockback

Nearly all of these gems are quest rewards for Templars, so getting the neccessary skills is not hard.

Using it is simple: cast Enduring Cry, then start alternating between Sweep and Ice Nova. The Knockback from Sweep really help, as most enemies will be getting pushed back while being slowed from Ice Nova, meaning that most melee enemies will not be able to hit you.

The Glacial Hammer is mostly for bosses or yellow enemies, as the cold damage from it combined with Anger and Wrath negates EE changes.

This build is also not mana intensive, as I never needed to get Clarity past a couple levels, since my attack and cast rate was slow enough so that my mana regen covered the costs.

The only gear requirement that this build have is to not have an cold damage mod on weapon/gloves/etc, since it will stop Elemental Equilibrium from working with Sweep.
Last edited by JeanKB on Sep 24, 2012, 3:32:37 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info