Arctic Breath

I am having great success with this skill. I am scaling the AOE(shotgunning) a lot and using cold to fire. I would prefer they did not change it to an aerial skill, I really enjoy the safety of a gound chill mechanic, if I want aerial, I would just use ice spear.

all maps are doable, elemental reflect have to be a little careful and immune to curses is a little slower.

Last edited by sscheffner on Jul 28, 2015, 1:40:44 PM
I read through all 21 pages and I saw the question asked but not specifically answered. Is the explosion projectile damage? I assume it is but I'd hate to think the projectile tag only applies to the projectile part that chills ground and not the explosion part, so I thought I'd ask to make sure.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
The explosion deals Projectile Damage.
Thank you!
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
I just want to chip in the already popular opinion that this should change to an aerial projectile.

In it's current state the simple fact that the skulls explode on every rock and shit on the ground makes it barely useable as a main damage spell.

The skill WOULD be a nice safe alternative for self casting cold spells, because there are very few GOOD cold skills.

Freezepulse is only good in close range.
Ice Nova is best up close.
Ice Spear isn't really suited for good AoE clearing.
etc.

Arctic breath is ALMOST like fireball, except for this annoying thing, please make it so.
HoolaBandoola, creator of all things Hoola and destroyer of Rhoas.
"
HoolaBandoola wrote:

There is no reason to stand point-blank with Ice Nova, it deals the same Damage regardless of distance... And considering it can hit the entire screen I'm not sure where this idea came from. :p
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
HoolaBandoola wrote:

There is no reason to stand point-blank with Ice Nova, it deals the same Damage regardless of distance... And considering it can hit the entire screen I'm not sure where this idea came from. :p

Well, the idea came from my character which is maybe a bit squishy :P
See, I have the templar/witch aoe nodes, I don't run a carcass jack since I "need" my belly of the beast for the life.

1. It covers maybe half the screen, not nearly the whole screen (im not using conc effect)
2. I said it works BEST in close range, since the closer you are you hit more monsters.

So I found that I died too much (80+) with ice nova since I often put myself in dangerous positions, and this problem is solved with arctic breath since I can even hit off screen.

Also the chilled ground is very neat since I run avatar of fire.))

Just sad to see this aforementioned mechanical "problem"(in my eyes).
HoolaBandoola, creator of all things Hoola and destroyer of Rhoas.
I'm using crit Arctic Breath with great success and not great gear. I love the fact that explodes on stuff for AoE so you can shotgun in more occasions. Just complement it with another 4-linked skill for those situations where you need to shoot over a ground obstacle (or kill SRS). Ball lightning, Ice Spear, and Freeze pulse are all good choices.

I have litarally 0 gripes with this skill; don't change a thing. It's the most fun I've ever had playing PoE.
This skill, same as Fireball, will never compare to top tier skills in terms of clear speed as long as it doesn't explode on every instance when it pierces/forks/chains like LA. You could straight up double the damage and it would still be slower.
there is NO reason this shouldn't hit animated weapons or srs (from tempest or kaom as an example). It can hit All the flying enemies of act 4. Terrible design. They are huge blocks of ice do something. Give it the glacial cascade treatment. aka a proper update

otherwise it's great. non crit and do great. If I die it's not the skill it's the spikey damage and less caster defense options available.
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
Last edited by Madcow1120 on Oct 31, 2015, 1:34:56 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info