Arctic Breath

"
Darkfyre wrote:
"
I think it's two projectiles....
Pretty sure it was mentioned on one GGG post somewhere, maybe anther thread.
I could be mistaken, or it could have been changed recently.

Sadly I don't see this skillgem used often. It has very decent base damage.

the base damage is crap. lvl 20 = 319 base (max). even fireball has 85% more than that at the same level..

The base damage per hit is actually quite high compared to similar cold spells, it's just that fire skills are more damaging in general and Fireball has been buffed several times in a row (with no buffs to cold spells).
I don't know if anyone mentioned it already (didn't notice it in the first 8 pages), but one of the most obvious and annoying problems with Arctic Breath — which is why I'm surprised no one mentioned it at least early on— is that unlike every other projectile I can think of in the game, Arctic Breath explodes if it hits fences, rocks, ground debris, cliff edges, or seemingly anywhere that impedes character movement.

I don't understand if this is a mechanical/engine limitation related to creating the chilled ground, but it should totally be fixed, since the skill is extremely annoying and crappy as it is now for reasons aside from it's stats (cast speed, damage, crit chance, etc.) — especially now that it's damage has been significantly buffed.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Apr 9, 2014, 1:11:38 AM
"
Xapti wrote:
unlike every other projectile I can think of in the game, Arctic Breath explodes if it hits fences [and other crap].

It's a Projectile that travels over the ground, as opposed to floating. Spark and Lightning Strike work the same. Might be one more, can't be arsed to think. :p
By design. Has been mentioned dozens of times around here.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Apr 9, 2014, 1:16:51 AM
Yeah I came back to this thread realizing spark works like that too; I didn't think and wouldn't think lightning strike is like that though, but I guess it could be.

It makes COMPLETE sense that this applies to spark, but no sense for a skill that is more-or-less a clone of fireball. It should use the same projectile system as a fireball does.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Apr 9, 2014, 2:07:57 AM
three dragons + trap + arctic breath = awesome
"
Xapti wrote:
Yeah I came back to this thread realizing spark works like that too; I didn't think and wouldn't think lightning strike is like that though, but I guess it could be.

It makes COMPLETE sense that this applies to spark, but no sense for a skill that is more-or-less a clone of fireball. It should use the same projectile system as a fireball does.

Yeah, let's make every skill work exactly the same way because fuck variety.
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
Last edited by Kenzorz on Apr 11, 2014, 10:09:56 PM
"
Kenzorz wrote:
"
Xapti wrote:

Yeah, let's make every skill work exactly the same way because fuck variety.

It's not about making them work the same way, his point was legit, arctic breath isn't a crap skill because of the potential damage, it's a crap skill because of how it works. I've just spent the last couple of hours messing around with it and I'm going back to fireballs.

If arctic breath floated but still left a ground trail of ice it wouldn't be "exactly the same" as anything. It travels at roughly the speed as ice spear, has the AoE of fireball but not the DoT, and has the arctic armor style defensive trail. That's enough differentiation already. Right now it's gimped mechanically. It's also the only skill that still gives me serious frame rate issues if I use gmp spam which is a separate issue but also needs to be addressed.

Last edited by MonstaMunch on Apr 12, 2014, 12:19:20 PM
Any plans to make this skill less graphically intense? I want to eventually make a triple totems Arctic Breath build but on one of my current characters, I use a single Arctic Breath totem and people in my party were crying about FPS drops just from that one totem (there's actually a pretty noticeable difference in FPS between me using the totem and not using it).

I'm aware that they already did make this skill less laggy before, but it's still pretty bad.
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
Last edited by Kenzorz on Apr 20, 2014, 3:47:19 PM
So now it does high damage per cast (higher than Fireball, anyway) but the casting speed is very slow. Could make a decent CoC spell (linked with GMP + some projectile attack) if your computer can handle the animations.
Last edited by Incompetent on Apr 25, 2014, 8:12:05 AM
hitting fences sucks but having it exactly like fireball is bad too. I say buff it's damage more.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info