[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
dime wrote:
Thanks, this port is great. Zero issues with install and getting into the game.

Windowed 1280x800, everything turned down except I have set Basic Shadow Mapping, VSync enabled.

My specs are OSX 10.8.2, CPU 2.8ghz Xeon, 6GB RAM, GPU GTX 260.
(system profile does not mention Quartz Extreme as being enabled or anything, so I have no idea if it's configured correctly or what)

The FPS is I guess lower than expected: (no action, standing idle)
~22 FPS in Lioneye's Watch
~35 FPS in Terraces
~48 FPS in Cavern of Wrath
~37 FPS in Forest Encampment
~22 FPS in Western Forest

Unfortunately in all zones, FPS really dips and is very noticeable when you attack. This is with melee attacks with fire+lightning damage, attacking while on the run.

Even though the game recognizes my GTX 260, it feels as if maybe it is not using the GPU (do not hear the fan noise). CPU is pegged while idle in town.

There are a few issues, which are the same from the other mac port:
1) fonts are a little off
2) skill effects are a little off (ground slam, phase run, anger)
3) load times into new zones are much higher than expected
(this being on SSD -- transitioning between pre-loaded zones is fine)

Upon further analysis, I decided to disable both vsync and shadows. FPS shot up to 50-60 average, however combat unfortunately still hitches and drops frames constantly (dips down to 10 FPS). I feel that this is directly related to attack/skill effects: http://i.imgur.com/eBtQt.jpg

1) Fonts little off - definitely caused by wine (missing complete gdi.dll support possibly
2) This should be better with the new engines, but those on the other side make the game more unstable
3) This is caused by Mac OS X itself, there is nothing I can do about it (flawed mmap() & MMAP_PRIVATE implementation) I have opened bug for it at apple about 6 months ago, and they closed it as duplicate, so possibly they are working on solution.
Thx man.
Running on 10.8.2, Fullscreen 1920x1080, vsync off

Is it possible to show FPS?
OSx86 ML 10.8.x | E6750 | 8GB Ram | GTS450 | ALC889a | Chimera Bootloader
Vanilla USB Install - CL patched Graphic drivers - DSTD for GA-EP35-DS3
"
ph0en1xs wrote:
Thx man.
Running on 10.8.2, Fullscreen 1920x1080, vsync off

Is it possible to show FPS?

Just hit F1. On a Mac keyboard it is fn+F1.
Yeah fn+f1 did the trick.

Great Port.
Runs absolutly smooth.

Shadows "off" between 50-68 FPS
Shadows "on" between 32-40 FPS (no difference between basic and variance shadow mode)

Shadows "off"

Shadows "on"

OSx86 ML 10.8.x | E6750 | 8GB Ram | GTS450 | ALC889a | Chimera Bootloader
Vanilla USB Install - CL patched Graphic drivers - DSTD for GA-EP35-DS3
Last edited by ph0en1xs on Nov 1, 2012, 11:03:41 AM
I simply for the life of me can not unpack this. I am logged in as an admin user on mountain lion 8.2, and every time I try dragging the package from the DMG I get a "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." message. Now, I can view the contents of the package, and run the provided wine wrapper, but yeah, the executable won't run off the image. What am I missing?

Edit: Ran an osx update that fixed some keychain issue and no longer having write issues, thanks for this works great!
Last edited by Chamber on Nov 20, 2012, 8:31:18 PM
New problem. Was working fine, then I entered my screen settings to calibrate resolution, and now no matter what I change the settings too, game automatically launches in a super tiny window and whenever I try and drag it out the resolution stays super fuzzy and wonky. Note, am using a retina. I've scoured threads for hours and am at a wall. Any suggestions?
OK, so managed to fix the resolution problem by editing the production_Config.ini file. Now my mouse is still "off" even when I toggle mousewarpovveride. I'm so close!!
@Chamber

The game screen can get iffy if you try to enlarge it by dragging from the corner. Better to just hit cmd+enter.

Try changing resolution in-game to centre the mouse. Switch to lower and then back to your preferred resolution.

Also, welcome to Path of Exile, exile. Have fun.
I'm also having the stuttering/lagging graphic issue when loading new spells and or monsters. As it is, I die every time I come across a new unique monster. Are there any kind of graphic buffer settings in WINE? or maybe some sort of allocated RAM option? Maybe that could help with it?

Anyway, julus, your wrapper is finally working on my machine and it works fantastically (aside from the above issue) :)

thanks!
Just bought a Mac Book Pro and installed this on my new shiny toy. Installed great and running smooth. Now I won't have to worry about this once I get this boot camp thing up and running with Windows on it as well.

Although I did have some issues with trying to right click b/c Apple thought they'd be cute with the rather sleek touchpad gestures and not make the right touchpad button the default for right click but google saved me.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

Last edited by Dark0mens on Nov 23, 2012, 2:11:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info