[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
K3R4T0S wrote:
Had an error that said:
received a package that was too big to deserialise

Hopefully that will be gone in the new version I am preparing. (should be early next week)

It has been more than 2 years since the last wrapper update and since then the Wine has gone a long way in term of bugfixes and features. The loading times now seems to be also more reasonable, however the bug with fps drops when new effect is shown on screen remains. I hope that in DX11 mode will show some improvement on this.

In any case the best way to enjoy the game on Mac is still Bootcamp.

Got a new issue where I can make it to the login screen but clicking on anything freezes the game completely.
Thanks julus!
"
femtio wrote:
"
Edit: I solved the problem by creating a new wineskin package and putting PathOfExileInstaller.exe in it and running it. After that ran, I copied the ggpk file into the path of exile directory and changed the "Windows EXE" setting in wineskin form the installer to PathOfExile.exe and it ran with no packet error message. Performance is....not great, even on minimum settings.

Solved the package too large issue by doing this:

1. Show package contents - Copy the torrented ggpk file (DONT KNOW IF THIS IS NECESARRY) and PathOfExileInstaller.exe (from poes homepage) into the POE folder.
2. Delete the HashCache.dat if applicable.
3. Run wineskin, change end of path to PathOfExileInstaller.exe, click test run.
4. After that is done change path back to PathOfExile.exe, click test run.

Boom, worked for me. Also fiddled with some wine tricks.

Thanks for the fix, can someone post a link to this torrent Where I can get the ggpk file? I've been combing the announcements thread for an hour and can't find anything but a dead link to an older version. Sorry if this is a newb question

Never mind, totally found it. I'm just gonna assume it was probably against the code of conduct to post such a link here anyway, so for those of you still searching diligence pays off. It's out there.
Last edited by Bubba_kush on Jan 18, 2018, 4:47:02 PM
Update on progress:

So as I told I was trying to get DX 11 mode work, I know how, but I've encountered problem with compiling custom wine engine on High Sierra. To make it work, I need to compile 64 bit wine along with 32bit libraries with custom patches (because things are not complicated enough already). However thanks to changes in OSX I am always either missing some dependencies for 64bit mode, or when I satisfy those, then GPU acceleration breaks, or 32bit cannot be compiled and it is beginning to drive me insane, and I don't see the way to address this quickly.

So currently I can release the new wrapper which has some issues fixed, and some issues added:

+/- Performance appears to be the same as the old one (at least on my HW) compared to old wrappers
+ Fullscreen & Windowed mode including resizing of the window - no more crashes (occasional the screen upon changing fullscreen/window mode goes black and you need to wait 15 seconds for revert, but works on the next attempt to switch)
+ I haven't encountered any new bugs
+ Engine would be 64 bit based on wine-2.21 staging
- Multithreading might cause UI flickering or serious performance drop and needs to be toggled off in the settings
- First launch always results in lot of errors and crash as POE tries to start in DX11 mode. After it the game will ask to start in DX9 mode and works well enough

Considering the above, let me know if you would still like to have updated wrapper. Note those tests are based on my old macbook from 2011, the behaviour might vary depending on your HW.

--
Closing note: Don't expect the game be flawlessly playable on OSX any time soon. Game is utilizing a lot of Windows specific features which cannot be properly implemented in the wine or are causing serious overhead degrading the performance. For example the frame drops during casting/effects is caused by graphical shaders being converted in way the OSX would understand them. If you want to play the game properly, use Bootcamp for best performance or Virtual Machine (Parallels desktop/VMWare fussion , the game will run perfectly on those in dx9 mode but will be a bit slower than on bootcamp)
I also still receive "received a package that was too big to deserialise" with the new version (is it even a new version because I downloaded it today and it replaced the version from last week?) :(
"
GoTTi1337 wrote:
I also still receive "received a package that was too big to deserialise" with the new version (is it even a new version because I downloaded it today and it replaced the version from last week?) :(

No its not, I was just asking if I should post the one which works maybe better but maybe worse, but I will post in anyway later today, I just need to make some last time adjustments and tests as for some reason since 3.1.2 the performance dropped and sometimes it does not even want to go ingame.

BTW "received a package that was too big to deserialise" is error I never encountered even on old port, so I hope it will not arise with the new one as well.
Updated, please let me know if there are any old or new issues (don't inform me about the bad performance, or that the game crashes upon first launch. I already know that one :P
hey having probs on my mac it always say, error the wrapper is running, make sure the wrapper is not running, what is thad? :(
"
moller85 wrote:
hey having probs on my mac it always say, error the wrapper is running, make sure the wrapper is not running, what is thad? :(
sometimes you can have unsuccessful launch and it will leave process in background. just kill all processes with name wine wine-preloader and wine-preloader64 and it should work ( or restart osx)
Last edited by julus on Jan 26, 2018, 5:52:53 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info