Death Penalty Changes in 0.11.3

While i agree that a death penalty is something important, i think that a flat loss of progression is just lame and uninspired.

My idea was this : You loose like 30 or 50% of your XP when you die, but the xp is NOT lost forever. The lost XP goes into a "pool" and you can recoup it while getting more XP in the future.

You have X experience in your pool, you kill a monster that gives 100, you recoup a small amout a the monster gives you 120 or something like this.

It s still longer to level up if you die, but it negates the feeling that what we ve done is lost forever.

On the other side, i'm not a huge fan of the six sockets item change. While it s good to play with perma allocation, it's fun to have something interesting to ninja once in a while when you play with friends :)
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
BOGUS! I think that the death penalty was fine the way it was. I play SC and the death penalty effects me. Its a big deterrent to dying and keeps me playing smart. I think they should keep it the way it was.
Thru me to the city of woe,thru me the way to ever lasting pain.Now shall I ferry you in to the fire,the cold and the ever lasting darkness.Abandon all Hope.
"
bitedefer wrote:
"
Sodomee wrote:

It isn't a developer confirmation, but I can tell you it certainly is no where near the rarity of a mirror. The chances of each 6S-capable item to drop as a 6L is equal to the chance of you using a jeweler and getting a 6L.

Then thats zero chance (if using a jeweler on a 6S item)... Sadness.

Or are you saying a jeweler on an item and getting 6L straight away (if it is not 6S already)

Just jewelering the item.

Every time you use a jeweler, the sockets and links are rolled. I have gotten a 5L from a jeweler before so I know this is possible. It is very unlikely, but it happens. I've seen people use 3 or less fusings and get a 6L. It is all just RNG.
IGN: ThrobbinRobin
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Dreggon wrote:
I don't think this is the right solution - 15% is a good amount, but applying it as a 'debt' (where you don't gain experience for 15% of your level every time you die, non-stacking) is a good kick in the teeth without negating progress you've already made. 8% is trivial.

This is an option that was considered, however a debt is very psychologically negative if you stop playing after dying, and then come back to the game, as you have a penalty that you only get long after the associations with the act that gave you the penalty.

We also considered a time bound penalty, which has other issues associated with it (giving players a de-facto incentive to not play being the important problem.)

How about this suggestion ; When a player dies, they lose the exp as is the case currently, but they gain a timer of say 5-10-15 minutes, within which the player has to kill X amount of monsters, say 50-100-150 monsters, after which the exp penalty is refunded if they player succeeds in attaining the required amount of kills within the timeframe available.

That way, there is still a penalty of experience loss for dying, in the situations where you die and either attempt to as chris put it 'attrition' your way ahead through difficult content and thus die multiple times or just kill monsters very slowly, or when you die and logoff right away.

The biggest upside to this is that it would more strongly incentivize both playing on after a death in order to refund your experience loss, but it also emphasizes playing in an area where your character can easier kill the monsters, as you would want to race towards that refund before the timer runs out, giving the player a break from doing the content that killed them and in the process perhaps gaining them some item upgrades or currency for improvements that allow for the previously deadly situation to be more surmountable :)

It would also be equally applicable when a player has no experience in their current level and dies, as the timer debuff then instead could simply be 'storing' the experience similarly to the endurance/power/frenzy charges, only releasing it to the player once the monster-killing threshold is reached and the timer not yet having expired.
What about...

dying to monster A you lose 15% exp -- if you find and kill that monster A you gain half of that exp back, so 7.5%.

If you've died twice to monster A you lose a total of 30% exp -- if you find and kill monster A you gain 15% exp back... etc

So if a monster kills you then they're debuffed. This debuff can stack multiple times which determines how many times you have died to that monster. The debuff duration lasts for several minutes with a 50% return experience. If this debuff wears off you cannot claim any exp that was lost

Maybe, maybe not>?
Suggestions
>Alt 'Entrance' & 'Quest NPC'|http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26332090/subtledoorANDquest.png
>Alt 'Character Panel'|http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26332090/Stats.png
Last edited by darkdraithdoom on Jul 25, 2013, 2:15:09 AM

Yeah what about making it 5% and 10%?

I think 3% and 8% is too much, its almost a 50% nerf in merciless!

And there is no need to overnerf cruel.

I vote 5% and 10%.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
"
ohrlylol wrote:
For those who play SC, doesnt this take the exitement out of the game?

imo 15% is fine, could have been even 20% but w/e, I dont play sc

No it doesn't. Once you hit very high level, 15% is really difficult. As a result, people would fear death as much as the players in hardcore do and becomes defensive in their build. The distinction in build approach becomes blurred. You'll see people stacking ES and life in both hardcore and default.

With a lower penalty, it will encourage players to take a different approach in default now. Instead of the usual stacking defensive stats, player can be more offensive. To me, this distinction will make default more exciting because you can now take a different approach than you did in hardcore. In hardcore, you have to make sure you don't die, so there's one approach in your build. On default/anarchy, you can die while taking risk, so there's another different approach in your build.

Right now, it's stay alive at all cost on both leagues. That's why SC players are using HC build because the ultimate aim is the same, to not die.

This is a very welcome change and I'm glad the penalty has dropped. Unfortunately I don't play softcore anymore but it was frustrating when you were higher levels like 70+. It would take me awhile to get halfway up to leveling to the next level for 30-60 minutes then lose it all after 3 deaths.
I actually think it is a good idea and will help with player retention for casuals. I come from a background of loving harsh death penalties and games that are full loot etc.
"
KalHirol wrote:

Yeah what about making it 5% and 10%?

I think 3% and 8% is too much, its almost a 50% nerf in merciless!

And there is no need to overnerf cruel.

I vote 5% and 10%.

If we're talking about a straight nerf to penalty, I like this much better. Nice round numbers..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info