Death Penalty Changes in 0.11.3

Maybe implement a death timer? eg: if you die you lose 10% then if you die again in a certain amount of time you will lose 12% ect. up to a cap of 20% or so.
"
Dreggon wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Dreggon wrote:
I don't think this is the right solution - 15% is a good amount, but applying it as a 'debt' (where you don't gain experience for 15% of your level every time you die, non-stacking) is a good kick in the teeth without negating progress you've already made. 8% is trivial.

This is an option that was considered, however a debt is very psychologically negative if you stop playing after dying, and then come back to the game, as you have a penalty that you only get long after the associations with the act that gave you the penalty.

We also considered a time bound penalty, which has other issues associated with it (giving players a de-facto incentive to not play being the important problem.)

Ah - so in this case, your game philosophy is that death is something that should only affect you once, immediately, when you die - as opposed to affecting you over time. I agree that a decay is also not a good idea, where optimal play is to not play.

What other options did you consider? 3% and 8% are trivial.

We also know a lot of players stop their playing session when they die, in some cases its the main way their play sessions ends. For these players, they won't notice the penalty until they return to the game.

Im not sure how I feel about the penalty nerf. I think this would work better:

Keep penalty the same. First death has no penalty but starts a 15 or 30min timer. Any death during that timer is full penalty and starts the timer. Occassional desync or "oops" death on SC is ok, attrition is still very bad.
"
Chypre wrote:
"
Sodomee wrote:
"
Chypre wrote:

BTW, someone in my team found a 6L lvl ~60 dex armor tonight, pretty amazing to see because it is maybe more rare to drop than a mirror? I'm not sure, but I have never seen mirror drop for anyone.

It is definitely not more rare than a mirror.

And you know this how? Obviously 6L is not as rare because you can make them but it dropping that way seems more rare than everything else except maybe a mirror.

Because I've seen over 10 6L's drop since CB and no mirror. I have many friends who also get 6L's as drops too. I have only one friend who has ever seen a mirror drop, and it was allocated to his friend.

It isn't a developer confirmation, but I can tell you it certainly is no where near the rarity of a mirror. The chances of each 6S-capable item to drop as a 6L is equal to the chance of you using a jeweler and getting a 6L.
IGN: ThrobbinRobin
Last edited by Sodomee on Jul 25, 2013, 1:59:06 AM
i think a good idea would be to place the death penalty like the xp penalty system

in an area rigt at your char lvl+10 u gain a penalty of 15% (seems easy todo such a area)
every lvl above this lvl+10 the penalty could be reduced by 1% or 2% (maximum 3 or 4times)

so for example if your char is lvl 92 like my main and your doing a lvl77 map
you would gain a penalty of

92-77 = 5 ... but max is 4
so penalty would be

15%-4x2% = 7%
or
15%-3x2% = 9%

this could compensate the fairly lower progress at this level
"
VolcanoElixir wrote:
A six socket is like getting several jeweler's orb drops at once, so it makes sense that it would be allocated.

Yeah but it's ALWAYS had that value, and it's always been unallocated.

Public parties with perm allocation are prone to leechers. The only saving grace was being in the middle of everything and getting that sweet 6s drop.
For those who play SC, doesnt this take the exitement out of the game?

imo 15% is fine, could have been even 20% but w/e, I dont play sc
Hardcore is how we play ™

Best ladder ranking so far: OhSnapIsRerolling, rank 85 HC Nemesis League
"
JohnWeps wrote:
Implement durability on items, or use the quality attribute to force usage of orbs upon death.

And in what way you like to repair your stuff? 3 Chaos for repairing the chest?
Armorer Scraps?

If you die too often, you can't go on playing, as you got no currency left?

I don't think, that this idea is a very good one in terms of reckless fungaming.
I don't see the GGG guys to be hunting for a very big Community anyway, as Hack'n Slays allways where and will be a minor genre.

I'm perfectly fine with the death penalty. I don't really care about the percentages as i play hardcore only. My death is still a 100% pain in the ass! :D
What about monster golf? Hit it HARD - go find it - Hit it hard again :D
Bad call, Chris. Standard and Anarchy are too easy already... the solution is never to make them easier. Very disappointing.
"
Sodomee wrote:

It isn't a developer confirmation, but I can tell you it certainly is no where near the rarity of a mirror. The chances of each 6S-capable item to drop as a 6L is equal to the chance of you using a jeweler and getting a 6L.

Then thats zero chance (if using a jeweler on a 6S item)... Sadness.

Or are you saying a jeweler on an item and getting 6L straight away (if it is not 6S already)
No food in fridge... Beer it is.
Last edited by bitedefer on Jul 25, 2013, 2:02:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info