[2.4] How to smash Heads. Extremely detailed guide about the Facebreaker gloves and builds!

OK after reading the notes these few things will affect the FB builds:

"Shield Charge now works with no primary weapon equipped."
I'd say finally! Tho i'm not sure about the usefulness of this skill... but it's a new option and that's always good!

"All shields have had their block chance reduced."
That was expected... i just wonder what are the new values... capping block is just impossible now.

"Crest of Perandus: Chance to block has been reduced from 10% to 5%."
Well combined with the lowered block chances of all shields ... it will take a big hit tho i still think i would remain one of the best ( the best .. if one of the new uniques is better ) low level shield.

"Lightning Coil: Damage conversion has been reduced from 40% to 30%."
This nerf ... combined with the relatively low max lightning res that can be achieved... idk .. for me this chest is not very appealing at all as it is now.

"Rumi's Concoction: Chance to block during flask effect has been reduced from 30-40% to 20-30%. Chance to block spells during flask effect has been reduced from 15-20% to 10-15%."
Again.. expected nerf ... i'm just happy that i already have 2 of these.

"The Bringer of Rain: Chance to block has been reduced from 15% to 6%. The chance to gain an endurance charge when you block has been increased from 10% to 20%."
Poor BoR ...

"Cyclone now attacks slightly slower and has an equivalent increase to damage. It now deals damage immediately when it is used, in addition to periodic damage. Cyclone no longer targets enemies, only locations."
I'm still not sure about the end results of this change.

"The mana costs of Elemental Hit, Glacial Hammer, Infernal Blow and Lightning Strike have been reduced. These have generally been lowered by one mana point, with Glacial Hammer reduced to the same as Lightning Strike."
The mana cost of Infernal blow was pretty low already ... the less the better!
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Been thinking on doing a Shield Charge Prolif. build with Facebreaker . . .
Hello everybody.

Firstly, got to say that this build is fantastic. It is the most detailed, most useful guide with the best layout out of all the threads I have seen. Big props to author!

Secondly, as far as I know the 1.3 patch nerfed all block based builds quite hard. Obviously, this affects facebreakers too.

Currently I am using a 5l Carcass Jack and an Abyssus, as is mentioned in the guide. I am using Cyclone, after using Infernal Blow and Dominating Blow for the last few months.

Basically, I am wondering whether it is beneficial to use my Abyssus+Carcass or go back to my Legacy BOR. Originally, I was using it for my WOE BOR block acrobatics supertank, but that was kinda killed. So my legacy is available for use again, I guess. I haven't tried the dps on my legacy BOR, because the colours took forever to get and I'd hate to screw them up.

I would prefer to use the 5l Carcass+ Abyssus for it, but I'm not even sure the dps will be higher... Could someone give me a rundown of the pros and cons of both setups?

I fiddled around with the skill tree for 5 minutes or so and this is what I came up with: https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEA9kjEWD38WGPG2IzPXz9QR-8OFCDkUfIvGj7xrCkufLgc52oekc5XDYIH8kHSIdl82WF2rM9-rY182fcy6hj3vm6X8pynMJ7NAecYkbyf_EsUTaQZtiwl3xv6OlIyCXJsbEapbngNSshuqrXy_grYvTWSMZ6mV03j_o_yRTrhhNkB3L6KvqdlTb02R35NRsGCL8xi7ITvBS1673TtYEsn1WEhEuGi6lOlDF8cp8autz4Y1_noQYdyqS3Snz5Z86yqkFUaOMAaJy_jahZv-tJmnjbpJKpk5xcv_lQNzStQHM49D8T2PC3EgrCrivDpRg== . It is a 120 point build, which is impossible, of course (pretty much) but it is just to highlight some of the options for the build. Something will have to be cut down, just wondering what.

I realize that we don't really get out money's worth from the %phys damage nodes, so I basically avoided them. Also, due to block being nerfed so badly, I didn't really even bother going for the nodes, although I took one shield cluster. Therefore I focused on other forms of survivability. What I aimed for was high life and armour/ev nodes, while picking up life regen and life leech/gain on hit or kill, where possible. I went up to the templar area and picked up aura reduction nodes too. I also got +3 endurance charges, to negate the downsides of Abyssus.

As far as I can see, the tree looks quite solid. With 252% life, 300+ % armour, 60% or so ev, 3% life leech and 7% life regen/sec, it sounds quite strong.

So, what are your thoughts on 1.3 and facebreakers? Any comments on my tree, and whether I should use Abyssus+ 5l Carcass or legacy BOR?

Thanks a lot!
First about your tree.
About block - yes block chance is harder to get , but block chance is exactly the same as it was. It works the same way and it is just as useful as it was before. Don't make the mistake to dismiss block chance! It still is the best defensive mechanic in Path of exile! Loosing some life nodes and some armour nodes is definitely worth it in order to get more block!
About the X% physical damage - it doesn't do much UNLESS you play cyclone! So i wound't completely dismiss X% physical nodes!

About Legacy BoR vs 5L Carcass jack + Abyssus.
I'd say that after 1.3 Legacy BoR is much better than Abyssus + Carcass Jack. The DPS would be slightly lower, but the survivability ( which will be needed in 1.3 ) is superior!
Hell i even consider replacing my 6L Carcass Jack + Abyssus for Legacy BoR ( you can see my thoughts on this matter on page 174.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
I'm still waiting to find out how hard the base shield block values get nerfed, but a few comments for you.

Legacy BoR (either one) is now absolutely incredible compared to the absolute garbage that the 1.3 BoR is going to be. 6% Block isn't worth the reduction in skills (24 total levels and 60% quality unavailable to the player) and the loss of chest armor.

My understanding, at this point, is Legacy BoR Cyclone is a pretty solid thing, especially if you're a Duelist (which in 1.3 has a wretched start for other Facebreaker builds, IMHO). I'd definitely consider it, but Korgoth has done a lot more with Cyclone than I have. I'm just commenting based on his prior comments.

*EDIT* SO Korgoth replies right before I hist post, lol. But yeah. That.

I'd end up waiting and seeing what 1.3 looks like after it drops before messing with colors on a legacy item if it was hard to roll those colors (though Vorici might make it easier now). Or maybe wait until 1.3b or 1.3c if you're super paranoid like me. :)
My Builds:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1739942 - Flee the Fire! Fireball / Flameblast Sire of Shards Chieftain
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1572176 - Chill and Breathe: An Arctic Breath Totem Build
Last edited by Eustacio on Dec 12, 2014, 9:02:19 AM
Well with vorici 4 socket items are extremely easy to color :)

this is mine :
"
KorgothBG wrote:
First about your tree.
About block - yes block chance is harder to get , but block chance is exactly the same as it was. It works the same way and it is just as useful as it was before. Don't make the mistake to dismiss block chance! It still is the best defensive mechanic in Path of exile! Loosing some life nodes and some armour nodes is definitely worth it in order to get more block!
About the X% physical damage - it doesn't do much UNLESS you play cyclone! So i wound't completely dismiss X% physical nodes!

I'd say that after 1.3 Legacy BoR is much better than Abyssus + Carcass Jack. The DPS would be slightly lower, but the survivability ( which will be needed in 1.3 ) is superior!
Hell i even consider replacing my 6L Carcass Jack + Abyssus for Legacy BoR ( you can see my thoughts on this matter on page 174.

Thanks a lot for your reply, from the man himself :-).

OK, so looks like I am going to be putting my legacy BOR to use again. Whenever I make a tree, I have the problem of being greedy (trying to get all the good nodes) and I struggle to cut down. Would you mind posting an improved version of my tree/ the ideal tree you had in mind?

The point I was making about block - yep, I understand it functions in the same way, but what I meant was that the nodes themselves were less efficient. Often, instead of getting the typical 2% block, you are commonly getting only 1%. This obviously makes it less effective to invest in, point-wise.

Do you think the counter-attack skills will work unarmed? I kind of don't mind if they are only for weapons, since it would mean less to think about :). I wonder how it will affect the build. Might be tough to choose between that and a good CWDT setup... We might start to feel the void in our weapon slot :(

Using a BOR takes away a TON of resists for me (from my chest, which has tri-res all over 40%). The only way to make up for this would be to use a Purity of Elements and a good rare shield. If I did use the BOR, what would the links be? Cyclone-Conc effect- Added fire-Blood magic? Casting with mana would not work, I guess?

This brings me to another point. What do you think of using a good rare shield over Lioneye's? Lioneye's may have good life, armour and block chance, but it does lack a ton of resists and also a good rare shield can boost our dps even further with the flat damage which is now craftable.

And about the phys % nodes, how does it work? You mention they are more important for cyclone, but why?

Final thing, and probably one of my most pressing questions... Are the changes to cyclone in 1.3 a nerf or a buff? I suppose we will have to wait and see the numbers, but one friend said it is a buff and is meant to help reduce desync. Anyway, we'll see!

Thanks for taking the time to help!

"
Eustacio wrote:
I'm still waiting to find out how hard the base shield block values get nerfed, but a few comments for you.

Legacy BoR (either one) is now absolutely incredible compared to the absolute garbage that the 1.3 BoR is going to be. 6% Block isn't worth the reduction in skills (24 total levels and 60% quality unavailable to the player) and the loss of chest armor.

My understanding, at this point, is Legacy BoR Cyclone is a pretty solid thing, especially if you're a Duelist (which in 1.3 has a wretched start for other Facebreaker builds, IMHO). I'd definitely consider it, but Korgoth has done a lot more with Cyclone than I have. I'm just commenting based on his prior comments.

*EDIT* SO Korgoth replies right before I hist post, lol. But yeah. That.

I'd end up waiting and seeing what 1.3 looks like after it drops before messing with colors on a legacy item if it was hard to roll those colors (though Vorici might make it easier now). Or maybe wait until 1.3b or 1.3c if you're super paranoid like me. :)

Thanks for the reply as well :-) Yep, I'm definitely not planning to fiddle with my gear before the patch hits :-)

P.S. Let's say that I do use my legacy BOR... Since I blew a couple ex on a 5l Carcass Jack, any idea what I could use it for? Also, any ideas what I could do for the new leagues? Also, on standard I have a lvl 71 Duelist and lvl 73 Marauder sitting around, waiting for a respec. I'm out of build ideas, you fellows have any?

Thanks!
"
Assassin2000 wrote:
"
KorgothBG wrote:
First about your tree.

Thanks a lot for your reply, from the man himself :-).

OK, so looks like I am going to be putting my legacy BOR to use again. Whenever I make a tree, I have the problem of being greedy (trying to get all the good nodes) and I struggle to cut down. Would you mind posting an improved version of my tree/ the ideal tree you had in mind?

The point I was making about block - yep, I understand it functions in the same way, but what I meant was that the nodes themselves were less efficient. Often, instead of getting the typical 2% block, you are commonly getting only 1%. This obviously makes it less effective to invest in, point-wise.

Do you think the counter-attack skills will work unarmed? I kind of don't mind if they are only for weapons, since it would mean less to think about :). I wonder how it will affect the build. Might be tough to choose between that and a good CWDT setup... We might start to feel the void in our weapon slot :(

Using a BOR takes away a TON of resists for me (from my chest, which has tri-res all over 40%). The only way to make up for this would be to use a Purity of Elements and a good rare shield. If I did use the BOR, what would the links be? Cyclone-Conc effect- Added fire-Blood magic? Casting with mana would not work, I guess?

This brings me to another point. What do you think of using a good rare shield over Lioneye's? Lioneye's may have good life, armour and block chance, but it does lack a ton of resists and also a good rare shield can boost our dps even further with the flat damage which is now craftable.

And about the phys % nodes, how does it work? You mention they are more important for cyclone, but why?

Final thing, and probably one of my most pressing questions... Are the changes to cyclone in 1.3 a nerf or a buff? I suppose we will have to wait and see the numbers, but one friend said it is a buff and is meant to help reduce desync. Anyway, we'll see!

Thanks for taking the time to help!

A good rare shield should have the mods on lioneye in addition to flat phys and resists. If you can find such a beauty you should use it over lioneye.

It's not that hard to cap resists with bor. I did this before crafting existed.

Last edited by kompaniet on Dec 12, 2014, 11:58:43 AM
Ok so many questions ^^
Lets see...
I'l start with the resists... well .. the difference between using BoR instead of Carcass jack and abyssus is 12% all resistances .. and that's .. nothing .. especially with the new tree which has more and easier to access ressitance nodes. So i don't think that this will be an issue.

About the rare shield. A rare shield can be better than Lioneye's Remorse , but it's extremely hard to find/buy/craft one .. and it will be very VERY expensive. I've been trying to upgrade my shield for 5-6 months ... without any success.

Is the Cyclone chages buff or a nerf? Honestly? Absolutely no idea!

The reason why X% physical damage is more impactful for cyclone is the Concentrated effect gem and the X% more damage that it adds.

As for the links on BoR as i see it there are 2 options
1. Cyclone + Conc Effect + Blood Magic + Added Fire damage
2. Cyclone + Conc Effect + Blood Magic + increased area of effect

I am and i will be using option 2. Without Carcass jack and with conc effect the AoE radius of the Cyclone will be absolutely terrible .. causing huge desync and crippling the clear speed by a lot unless increased area of effect is used , even tho the tooltip DPS will be less the actual gameplay experience will be better and more pleasant .... unless you are one of those guys ( which i'm sure you are not ) who like to put gems so that they can see big numbers .. you now like using Melee damage on full life instead of Blood Magic .. then making screenshots and boosting their ego ... it's kind of pathetic tho no one really cares :D
And no unfortunately casting cyclone with mana .. is a no go

About the new reactive skills .. i'm 99% sure that they won't be usable without a weapon.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info