The Economy

Poeple are like this. They take everything soooooo seriously, when they are just playing a game... and a game in beta, and with an upcoming wipe. Sigh.

It's like that. I found a very good 5 sockets armor yesterday and someone wanted it really badly. I gave it to him because he had nothing of value to trade, and he was really nice talking to. I just gave it to him. It's just a game. Not real life. :)

I wanted to buy a 5 sockets weapon from someone this morning, and the guy wanted 3 gemcutters lol. He was not really nice. I nver was able toconclude the ''transaction''.

In ''real life'', I'm a really ''tough'' business guy. But in a game I'm playing to relax, I often give very valuable items to people that are simply friendly.

I think some people are taking those games way too seriously. :)
Last edited by MadPharmacist on Jul 9, 2012, 2:04:19 PM
"
rustypup wrote:

The economy is a lie.

Trading is not a game. It is not enjoyable. It is the very antithesis of "playing a game" and could be scrubbed in its entirety while affecting absolutely zero.

When did focus on these fake mechanics *become* the "game"?

I don't trade... I get rid of. Because nothing you collect in a game has any actual value. Nothing. Can we get on with playing it now?

Also, trading in beta is hilarious. Because everything actually has negative value. Everything you're spending time trading is going to vanish like faery gold.

I just this morning added a friend I met in a trade. He needed a skill gem I had and I gave him a deal on three. We played a couple levels before he had to log off. We both came closer to our goals, and made a friend in the process.

You should relax more and enjoy getting "rid of" stuff. You might realize that being forced to socialize for a slight game advantage is fun and good for the community.

"
MadPharmacist wrote:

I think some people are taking those games way too seriously. :)

That is so true. It's just a game, right? :)
Last edited by ionface on Jul 9, 2012, 10:19:30 PM
"
ionface wrote:
You should relax more and enjoy getting "rid of" stuff.
I'm very relaxed. But the game is peppered with twonks who keep getting their onesies in a knot over the sanctity of "the market" and trading and it's just so much wasted stress...

I don't trade - I give. If I have extra and no need why not? Bits and bytes have zero value outside of the game and it *is* a game.

This is especially true in CB. Nothing we collect now is following us into OB aside from the char names. Getting uptight over trading now is even less endearing than it will be in OB. Folks looking to rip others off in CB need a reality check.

The economy is a complete fabrication. Getting all bent out of shape over it is pointless.
FFA: The looting choice of Hardcore-Hero Manly-Men Griefers! Yo!
"
rustypup wrote:
Getting all bent out of shape over it is pointless.
Yeah, says the guy who came into the thread to call the the economy "a lie" (about what?); to call trading "the antithesis of playing a game". Which is nonsense, by the way - it's got rules and goals already, so if people do it for entertainment then it's pretty much a game right there.

And they do do it for entertainment. Sure, it's all a "fabrication". Sure, nothing in the game (least of all CB, as you say) has "value" in some objective sense. But that's videogames, isn't it? Indeed - life? Where's the real value, the "sanctity", in anything? Anything people put effort into could be called wasted stress by those who don't share the interest.

People do what they like to do. If you don't want to hang out with the kind of people who take trading "seriously" and demand 17 Xs for their Y and NOT A CENT LESS (and I don't blame you - I wouldn't want to either)...then, you know, don't do that.
"
ionface wrote:
"
I don't needs lessons on desirable mods. I'm saying the economy is cutthroat and full of greedy douche bags.

L2P noob.

Is that all you can come up with, you brain dead tool? L2P noob?
Someone's been spoon fed by Blizz for a few years I see.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Jul 10, 2012, 12:06:13 PM
"
Torin wrote:
I knew people were greedy when I could not buy a non-quality Improved Critical Chance support with 1 alchemy :(
Then I started a new toon that does not need items from you greedy bastards :P

Exactly.
"
"
ionface wrote:
"
I don't needs lessons on desirable mods. I'm saying the economy is cutthroat and full of greedy douche bags.

L2P noob.

Is that all you can come up with, you brain dead tool? L2P noob?
Someone's been spoon fed by Blizz for a few years I see.

You misquoted me, and I believe you are incredibly foolish to think that everyone who wants to barter is being a "greedy douche bag". I have never met a greedy douche bag in this game until now it seems.
A word of advice: Don't feed the trolls.

Also, "the economy" is how it is, and it just doesn't matter enough to warrant losing your shit. Some people are generous, some are greedy, and it is simple to not care either way.

Also, being generous conveys a feeling of Exiles banding together to defeat the onslaught of evil monsters. I like that.
IGN Iiyoru (Ambush League)
"
ionface wrote:
You misquoted me, and I believe you are incredibly foolish to think that everyone who wants to barter is being a "greedy douche bag". I have never met a greedy douche bag in this game until now it seems.
You can pretty much ignore DamageInc in game and on the forums. I already ignored him in game, unfortunately it doesn't also carry over to the forums.
TehHammer is not a crime!
1 simple reason why it's hard to trade:

Reach. The web AH doesn't exist yet. Your reach is limited to the number of people who:
- have general or trade chat turned on
- don't have you ignored for talking about a different game
- aren't in combat, thus have the 2 seconds to mouse over your items and even think about trading
(pretty much people who are idle and not afk, or people who happen to be in town at that moment)

Your reach is very small, as server population is low and there is no efficient way to advertise your item.

When trading, think of three numbers:
- A: buyer says, "He would have trouble getting a better offer than this"
- B: "equal worth": hard to define but should be by actual rarity of items (farming time?)
- C: seller says, "He would have trouble buying for less than this"

You will find a huge gap between A and C because people are greedy. Once your reach extends (online AH goes live) the three values get a lot closer together.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Jul 10, 2012, 1:31:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info