You are killing racing

I'm probably going to get some hate for posting this.

There's too many races. Races are now about farming points, the competitiveness is disappearing.

Season 1 felt overwhelming with ~100 events, does anyone really want 260 races?

The amount of races should be reduced drastically and the points needed to achieve rewards should be cut by the same amount. It just feels like a grind now, was that really your intention?

Are my views really distorted or does someone share this opinion?
IGN : asdfman
Bad prices = no competition.

Want competition solo in party races or party with randoms.
I don't race at all, but that logic seems extremely poor. You can only really compete in about half of the races? Do you really think that is the intent?
There are as many races because there are many timezones to try cover you don't even need to do all of them.

If anything there should be more just to cover all the timezones peek and off peak time.

Also ARPG's are fundamentally designed around grinding
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
I think what he's trying to say, and what you are both missing by a mile, is that there is no reason to skip a race. All you need to do to get points is play in every race available. There are a lot of races and no limit to the number of races you can participate in other than the limits that you place on yourself. That, plus heavy reliance on luck and RNG, creates an environment where skill and competition take a sideline to raw endurance and grinding.
I'll try to sum it up in a few sentences :

- I want races to be about competing and striving to improve, not a casual farm for points (a view that is probably not shared by all)
- I want the most skilled racer to end up on top on the season ladder, not the one who does most races

Obviously what I want is a bit unrealistic, but I feel like we're on a steep decline from season 1 when it comes to the enjoyment value of the races (for me, personally, at least). Just wanted to put it out there to see if someone else feels this way or if it's just me.
IGN : asdfman
i agree with the OP

a specific race is not really interesting or any kind of "special".
"
asdfman wrote:
- I want races to be about competing and striving to improve, not a casual farm for points (a view that is probably not shared by all)

We need a point system for participation, so that new players can be encouraged to give racing a try without feeling like they're wasting their time detracting from their efforts in permanent leagues.

We also need a point system that measures skill, not participation, that only recognizes those who place very high in competitions, and is a solid metric for determining who the top players actually are.

The real problem is that the current point system is trying to accomplish both of these goals simultaneously. It is impossible to do so with any fairness; currently, the system fails on both counts, by placing too much importance on competition for participation awards, and placing too much importance on mass participation for competitive rankings.

What we need are two separate race point systems.

(By the way, OP is one of the top PoE racers and his opinion carries a lot of weight, at least in my book.)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 4, 2013, 2:02:59 PM
many races are good for many timezones.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
+1, agree

I think the number of races should be proportional to the population/number of participants. we can probably afford to have more races when the player base is larger. currently, the player base is unable to support such a large number of races
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Last edited by Invalesco on May 4, 2013, 3:14:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info