You are killing racing

"
HopTortoise wrote:
Let's look at NASCAR as an example. That's a sport.

I stopped reading after this line.
"
"
HopTortoise wrote:
Let's look at NASCAR as an example. That's a sport.

I stopped reading after this line.

replace it with any sport of your liking then, and consider the example where there are endless competitions and incentives for the athletes to compete at all hours =p

it's really not all that complicated.

if you name your favorite sport, i can re-write the example for you =)

i will also make sure to use very small words so that you can understand.
Last edited by HopTortoise on May 6, 2013, 1:46:24 PM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Also ARPG's are fundamentally designed around grinding
Funny, D2 wasn't.
Yeah, something's wrong with racing because I'm placing way too high lately, even winning demis, one in solo too! I'm not a bad player, but really I'm not a pro and it feels like the strong competitors are mostly not racing anymore...

As I had stated in another thread, we will probably aim for less races in Season 3 than we had in Season 2.

We trialled simultaneous races in the interim season, and decided not to rerun them, until we had a lot of feedback requesting them, and saying that our data was skewed by it being in between seasons. (All our other interim season stuff seems to have been fairly indicative of actual behaviour, but I was willing to trial it). The simultaneous races had poor start to end performance, and had a lot of players participate in both races, which wasn't our intention.

The signature races have proven successful, so we will continue with those, and may try find other ways to provide competitive experiences decouples from reward points.

"
Qarl wrote:
and may try find other ways to provide competitive experiences decouples from reward points.

If you do, please consider bringing back the CB stand alone races with random currency rewards.

I liked the idea of being able to play in a single race when it's running without feeling that I have to commit loads of time to all other races.

Yes the signature races are a step in the direction of a stand alone race, but the rewards of set uniques are off putting as unless your char wants that specific unique the "worth" is nothing unless you enjoy sitting on trade trying to sell it, or have it taking up space in your stash.
My 2 scrip is,

Set a limit on the number of races people can compete in for a 1 week period, pick and choose your races and do your best.
Twitch.tv/Nithryok
My two cents is: read this.

(Warning: May exceed two cents.)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
The simultaneous races had poor start to end performance, and had a lot of players participate in both races, which wasn't our intention.

That's because you didn't read full feedbacks.

The feedback were parallel races AND a SEPERATE SINGLE/PARTY Ladder

"
We trialled simultaneous races in the interim season,

Tell me how representative 8h races are?

Those best racers in the last 8h race died lately in an earlier race I guess.

"
As I had stated in another thread, we will probably aim for less races in Season 3 than we had in Season 2.

How about you implement some features first like:
Fingerprint(Players choose less gems every race removed previously chosen ones 3 gem rewards get updated to 8 gem rewards. I would suggest 8 gems= 1 time 3 gems=2 time 6 gems=1 time)
Antigrinding(instance reset impossible/exp penalty)

Racing became boring because there is no real variety and they end up grinding.
The population is low because the rewards suck.
The longer races are only a replacement for a new league.

Duelist are all leapers with maxed attackspeed or cleavers on shorter races
Shadows the same old evasive PA/FT build
Templars WED muled Cleavers
Maras mainly GS Leapers or cleave leapers (cleave leapers require much luck)
Rangers Pa/RoA
Witches FP

And the so called "good" racers do nothing else but grabbing a no brainer build and rushing to the max level.

Fingerprints are easy to create:
Add a packet with Class 0-6(includes Adventurer) then create a bitfield of gems in order they spawn.On the bitfield 0 corresponds with choseable 1 with unchoseable.

With this players using the same build over and over again won't be able to win with this build.
Players playing the same class won't be able to choose between gems.
Meaning the mainstream builds result in 7 good races max(minus deaths)

The ranking will be added after the number of attempts to prevent players to snatch rewards by creating new accounts. First race in race 10 = ranking in first race.

Of course this means there won't be any random rewards at the end of the race but at the end of the season.

This kind of race format requires much strategy.

Should the good combination be burned at once, should it be kept for later or should there be a balanced supporting choice of gems.

"
If you do, please consider bringing back the CB stand alone races with random currency rewards.

I am saying that since season 1. Last season my only goal were 60 points. I decided to reach 120 because goldrim is quiet useable.

Now my goal is 360.
After that I won't race unless it's a new or interesting mode.
Aka no 1-8h normal, no 1 week no 1 month even not casually.
Only rather hard normal speed choices mainly turbo.

No lethal combinations because melee is unplayable there.
"
asdfman wrote:
I just want to compete against as many people as possible, it's not possible anymore since the races have so few participants. I feel like it's only going to get worse from here. There's races with less than 200 people actually leaving Twilight Shore, it's becoming a joke. Recently we had a party race with 80 people reaching lvl 2 (simultaneous solo and party races were a great idea, right?). There's no way I'll ever play a race with 80 participants so this is pretty much killing it for me. As I said before though, these views are a bit extreme and probably not shared by many people.

Here's the thing I don't understand: You don't even see your competition. You are (afaik) one of the top racer and constantly Top 10. So why does it even matter to you if there are 200 or 2000 people behind you? You don't feel any impact on the game whatsoever, do you?

I think GGG invented the signature races for the competetivness you strive for - or do you dislike them? You aren't placed in the top 3 of them, so I'm just curious. (http://exilestats.com/race_records.php)

Also I don't think that reducing the races would improve much. People who have enough time or stream for a living would just adjust their schedule to attend every race, and we would have the old problem that only a certain 5-10 player get #1 because they can invest more time then others. At the moment you can get lucky to get a race where none of the usual suspects occupy the first spots.

(a bit off-topic - am I the only one who has tremendous problems to understand what Hilbert is saying?)
Current league chars: Bladestorm Champion SSF
Last edited by Shaileen on May 7, 2013, 7:08:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info