You are killing racing

"
UmaroVI wrote:
Racing is fun, but the current system has too much focus on grinding and too little on improving your skills.

And the prize structure is unforunately much the same.
IGN: KoTao
I can understand asdfman's frustration with only wanting to compete against the BEST competition.

But due to the "real world" out there...the BEST are rarely available to compete against each other at the same time.

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

GGG should run the same type/duration race throughout the same 24 hour period.
Each account is only allowed to complete one race per 24 hour period.

Now it is very possible many of those folks you see dominating the 2 season ladders may still be able to compete against each other in the same race at the same time.

Here's where it gets interesting: the BEST PoE players are quite possibly separated by a few hours from competing at the same time. With this new race structure all the BEST racers from all DIFFERENT time zones will in effect be able to compete against each other.

This can't happen with season 3 obviously since the change is too soon from the start of season 3 but perhaps in season 4?

So to clarify: Season 4, Race 1 would be the 135 minute Signature Race.
The first of this type race would start at 6am local NZ time
The second of this type race would start at 9am local NZ time
The third of this type race would start at 12pm local NZ time
The fourth of this type race would start at 3pm local NZ time
The fifth of this type race would start at 6pm local NZ time
The sixth of this type race would start at 9pm local NZ time

At the conclusion of the sixth 135 minute Signature race of the day, the best times from throughout the day would be placed accordingly in the final ladder for this race.

tl;dr--Everyone competes once per day in the same type race, top finishers from all racers are compiled in a final placement ladder for that day.

Last edited by boboglum on Jun 7, 2013, 9:37:56 AM
I'm tired as hell so forgive me if this makes little sense.

Why not have the reward and final placing for the season decided like this;

Take all the points which were allocated on account of exp earned(don't count the points for top of each class etc) and divide that by the amount of races completed.

Have some minimum required races completed to qualify.
Massively increase both the points awarded each race(and the points required for each prize), something along the lines of 1 point for each 5% of exp bar each and every level. Just to make draws less unlikely.

"
boboglum wrote:
I can understand asdfman's frustration with only wanting to compete against the BEST competition.

But due to the "real world" out there...the BEST are rarely available to compete against each other at the same time.

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

GGG should run the same type/duration race throughout the same 24 hour period.
Each account is only allowed to complete one race per 24 hour period.

Now it is very possible many of those folks you see dominating the 2 season ladders may still be able to compete against each other in the same race at the same time.

Here's where it gets interesting: the BEST PoE players are quite possibly separated by a few hours from competing at the same time. With this new race structure all the BEST racers from all DIFFERENT time zones will in effect be able to compete against each other.

This can't happen with season 3 obviously since the change is too soon from the start of season 3 but perhaps in season 4?

So to clarify: Season 4, Race 1 would be the 135 minute Signature Race.
The first of this type race would start at 6am local NZ time
The second of this type race would start at 9am local NZ time
The third of this type race would start at 12pm local NZ time
The fourth of this type race would start at 3pm local NZ time
The fifth of this type race would start at 6pm local NZ time
The sixth of this type race would start at 9pm local NZ time

At the conclusion of the sixth 135 minute Signature race of the day, the best times from throughout the day would be placed accordingly in the final ladder for this race.

tl;dr--Everyone competes once per day in the same type race, top finishers from all racers are compiled in a final placement ladder for that day.

I have thought of that but... then there would be 6 times the amount of demi winners. Players also will easily get extra points for competing in races after the good players already played in them.
General Racing Guide for Act 1
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/366585
"
Powster wrote:

I have thought of that but... then there would be 6 times the amount of demi winners. Players also will easily get extra points for competing in races after the good players already played in them.

Thx for the response Pow.

It seems you have misunderstood my post.

I did not suggest there would be a Demi winner for EACH race completed throughout the day.

I suggested every account is allowed to COMPLETE ONLY ONE of the races that run throughout a 24 hour period which is at a time most convenient for them.

We wouldn't know who ends up winning a Demi for the day until the final race for the day has finished.

I suppose there could be a slight alteration.

Each account is allowed to COMPETE & COMPLETE multiple races throughout the day...but only their BEST PERFORMANCE would count towards the final race placement for that particular day.

I think my original suggestion would still be the best.

When you consider many months/years from now players will have to divide their game time between Standard, Hardcore, Anarchy, Onslaught, Cutthroat, Custom & every other league GGG creates, limiting players to one race per day for Season racing might be a good thing.

Obviously I'm very biased but I believe my idea is well thought out. Seasons will no longer be about who can play in the most races but who was able to turn in the best run for any particular day.

This would never work though because these days most people are about instant gratification. Having to wait many hour to find out if one won a Demi would be highly unpopular.

Just thought I'd toss the devs a suggestion. :)
Well if only one demi would be given per class for multiple events of the same type thing then that would not be a bad idea..... but

"
boboglum wrote:

Each account is allowed to COMPETE & COMPLETE multiple races throughout the day...but only their BEST PERFORMANCE would count towards the final race placement for that particular day.

Unless I am misunderstanding again then it sounds like.. whoever plays the most raises there chance of winning by a lot. Playing more = higher chance of having insane RNG.
General Racing Guide for Act 1
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/366585
Last edited by Powster on Jun 11, 2013, 2:46:06 PM
Dear Powster,

you quoted an idea that I specifically said could be a slight alteration.

You somehow missed the next line where I said "my original suggestion would still be the best."

The original idea being the same type race running throughout the day.
Players would only be allowed to compete in one of those races.
At the end of the day all results from all races are then placed in a final ladder for that event.
I am not sure I am for fewer races. As it is, I race because there is some chance for getting the lower tier rewards while I try to improve my race speed. Reducing race number will just induce me to make multiple characters per race to maximize points or ignore racing altogether.

"
Qarl wrote:

The simultaneous races had poor start to end performance, and had a lot of players participate in both races, which wasn't our intention.

Create race pools: all races greater than 30 minutes starting at a specific time are in the same pool. An account only gets the reward points for the character with the highest point total.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info